Looking After My Old Girl After Surgery

larasmum

Hi everyone

My precious old girl had surgery yesterday, to have her left eye removed, due to glaucoma......stupid horrible disease!!! Anyhoo, received a call late yesterday from my vets, saying surgery went well, etc and I have to ring late this morning to find out if she's ok to bring home today sometime.

What I'm wanting to know, is basically what to expect when I see her, and how best to care for her after surgery. I'm guessing the vet will give me the run down when I pick her up, but thought it best to get a heads up first......So do I just let her be and do her own thing like normal?? Obviously keeping a close watch....I did read somewhere not to moddycoddle.....and will she be in pain? She's an ole trooper, having dealt with a mast cell tumour, pancreatitis and now this :(

Your vet will give you the post op care instructions... and DD is right, your old girl will probably take it in her stride, and you will be the one who worries about it more.

She will take a little time to adjust to her new way of viewing the world, and you might want to be mindful not to approach her suddenly from the left, as she won't see you and my get startled. If approaching her from the left, make some noise so she can have time to turn her head to see you.

T.

My old 14 year old has had surgery last week and is going fine so hopefully your dog will be too. A friend of mine had her dog's eyes both removed one at a time due to the same problem your dog has. She said her dog was so much happier after the operation as the pain is gone pretty much straight away

Thank you all. She's home safe and sound, and doesn't look as bad as I thought she would. She's an inside dog most of the time anyway, so wasn't an issue for me to take up camp next to her bed last night :) .

My vet has been fantastic, and explained everything thoroughly. Just need to wait 10 days to get the histopathology results....she had a small growth above the eye......so they've sent that away along with the eye for testing.

Oh and thank you t, that's good advice about approaching her on the left side. She hasn't had sight in that eye for a little while now, so I guess she got use to that, but a few times I did notice her flinch when I've gone to give her a cuddle....so now I talk to her before approaching.

Gawd I Love my old girl to the moon and back :love: :laugh:

My old 14 year old has had surgery last week and is going fine so hopefully your dog will be too. A friend of mine had her dog's eyes both removed one at a time due to the same problem your dog has. She said her dog was so much happier after the operation as the pain is gone pretty much straight away

Yep, Nelsson had an eye removed due to glaucoma at the age of 11 (I think). He was so much happier afterwards :thumbsup: (once the stitches etc had healed). Nelsson still turns and runs into things sometimes but he isn't the brightest spark. Now at 14 he is starting to get cataracts in the good eye :laugh:

Hi everyone

My precious old girl had surgery yesterday, to have her left eye removed, due to glaucoma......stupid horrible disease!!! Anyhoo, received a call late yesterday from my vets, saying surgery went well, etc and I have to ring late this morning to find out if she's ok to bring home today sometime.

I would expect the Vet will explain to you all the ins & outs. At a time like this, it is often the Parent who is suffering more. That is totally understandable given our duty towards our precious fur-kids. I nursed an old lab that lost an eye from a car incident.

fact of the matter was he was without pain, & once the meds wore off, back to his old self. The Vet said the procedure was not as daunting for him as we humans felt.

My suggestions would be heaps of TLC for YOU, cuddles for your precious old girl. Bear in mind the removal of that eye may actually make her feel more comfortable. Hve you use used Bach Remedial drops?

They help us have less stress.

I am sending hugs & love to you both. Take Care :thumbsup:

Edited by VizslaMomma