Show Judges Dress Attire

Ricllou

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't show and have always wondered why suits are worn rather than sportswear as it seems more comfortable and practical, is there a dress code as such or is it up to the individual?

You definitely see sportswear at the GSD specialties - those exhibitors are doing a lot of running.

I guess its because suits are dressier. At some O/S shows, you see exhibitors in evening wear!

I saw photos from some big show in Finland recently and the girl in the full ball gown with the Pyr looked amazing but even I wondered how she ran.

That is their champion of champions gala. I think there is pre judging. They are more or less just presented on stage though the do run a bit :). There is a video of the pyr (Fago - my puppies sire) at the gala a few years ago if you wNt to see it (and yes they look stunning in those ball gowns!

I don't show and have always wondered why suits are worn rather than sportswear as it seems more comfortable and practical, is there a dress code as such or is it up to the individual?

You definitely see sportswear at the GSD specialties - those exhibitors are doing a lot of running.

I guess its because suits are dressier. At some O/S shows, you see exhibitors in evening wear!

I saw photos from some big show in Finland recently and the girl in the full ball gown with the Pyr looked amazing but even I wondered how she ran.

That is their champion of champions gala. I think there is pre judging. They are more or less just presented on stage though the do run a bit :). There is a video of the pyr (Fago - my puppies sire) at the gala a few years ago if you wNt to see it (and yes they look stunning in those ball gowns!

Ah I wondered if it was something like that.

I enjoy the amount of preparation they put into themselves and the dogs. I'd love an excuse to get that dressed up for a show one day.

Edited by Bjelkier

'Dressing up' for a show was originally done as dog showing or the art of the 'dog fancy' was a hobby and pastime for the more 'affluent' upper class members of society way back when. This was how they dressed in the 'elite' pastime they indulged in. To become a well known and respected judge in those days and for many years to come took many, many years of being in a breed/s and being respected as an 'expert' in your field. These doyens of the breeds were much respected in the dog world and often paved the way for many breeds and were instrumental in ensuring the continuation of many of the breeds we have today. Dog showing was a special thing and you dressed for the occasion!

Since that time - dressing up in the ring has simply been the done thing and is done as a mark of respect for the judge and for the fancy of showing and breeding as a whole. It is a small sign of respect to the institution of the fancy which has seen many hundreds of years and dedication poured into it by many people over time and a nod to the magnificent dogs of the past and the history of these dogs that formed the foundations of many of the dogs of today.

As we all know times change and some of these old traditions get forgotten, or deemed as not necessary anymore and get lost along the way. I for one am pleased that people still dress up for the ring. I don't care if they're only doing it because everyone else is. I don't care if they've forgotten it's about showing respect. I also don't care if they wear runners with a skirt or they want to wear a fluro pink suit that can be seen from space ..... as long as they're not slopping about a ring in trackies or jeans with holes in them! Dog showing isn't glamourous - there's poo, drool, copious amounts of dog hair etc. We get up at ridiculous hours to travel to shows - usually after spending most of the night before grooming dogs, packing supplies etc. The fact that the time is also taken to take a suit and dress up in it - even if it's 30 degrees and you're covered in flies or it's hailing and you're ankle deep in mud shows a special kind of dedication to our hobby! Good on us all I say!

'Dressing up' for a show was originally done as dog showing or the art of the 'dog fancy' was a hobby and pastime for the more 'affluent' upper class members of society way back when. This was how they dressed in the 'elite' pastime they indulged in. To become a well known and respected judge in those days and for many years to come took many, many years of being in a breed/s and being respected as an 'expert' in your field. These doyens of the breeds were much respected in the dog world and often paved the way for many breeds and were instrumental in ensuring the continuation of many of the breeds we have today. Dog showing was a special thing and you dressed for the occasion!

Since that time - dressing up in the ring has simply been the done thing and is done as a mark of respect for the judge and for the fancy of showing and breeding as a whole. It is a small sign of respect to the institution of the fancy which has seen many hundreds of years and dedication poured into it by many people over time and a nod to the magnificent dogs of the past and the history of these dogs that formed the foundations of many of the dogs of today.

As we all know times change and some of these old traditions get forgotten, or deemed as not necessary anymore and get lost along the way. I for one am pleased that people still dress up for the ring. I don't care if they're only doing it because everyone else is. I don't care if they've forgotten it's about showing respect. I also don't care if they wear runners with a skirt or they want to wear a fluro pink suit that can be seen from space ..... as long as they're not slopping about a ring in trackies or jeans with holes in them! Dog showing isn't glamourous - there's poo, drool, copious amounts of dog hair etc. We get up at ridiculous hours to travel to shows - usually after spending most of the night before grooming dogs, packing supplies etc. The fact that the time is also taken to take a suit and dress up in it - even if it's 30 degrees and you're covered in flies or it's hailing and you're ankle deep in mud shows a special kind of dedication to our hobby! Good on us all I say!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes as long as the clothes don't become a barrier to new entrants it is just a nice tradition - but there has to be something acceptable between jeans with holes in them and mother-of-the-bride!

I remember taking a very chic friend along to a show, and basically being told that if she ever saw me in one of these outfits I was dumped - and I am not sure she was entirely joking. But I got by with well cut trousers and a dressy jacket. Avoided the unfortunate flesh displays which prompted the OP that way too.

Edited by Diva

Of course there are clothes out there between holey jeans and mother of the bride.

Just this weekend I saw many combinations from pants and tops, skirts and jackets, suits and yes some looked MOB but I also like the fact we get dressed for the ring. To me to present not only your dog but yourslef well for the ring is a sign of respect.

I did think before I gave up the ring that the worst excesses were backing off, far fewer cocktail outfits when I left than when I started and that is only over 3 or 4 years. This thread is engaging me tho' because I threw all my show clothes out on the weekend - big wardrobe tidy up. Several jackets went to the op shop and at least 4 suits I bought from the vendors at the shows went straight into the bin, so I had to face the whole 'what on earth was I thinking' thing fair in the face. Still don't know what I was thinking, :rofl:

Oh, I should probably should add I wear suits a lot, I am not a tracky kind of gal. But just not those sort of suits, seriously I must have been blind! I don't think any of them had actually been worn, couldn't do it.

Edited by Diva