Breeder Wants Me To Pick Pup Up Early

Cheys232

Hi sorry the owner got back to me I misunderstood her there is no way she would let the pups leave at 4 weeks at the earliest 6 weeks if all ok but she has had the vet out to mum this morning and the pups are ok to feed off her just not that infected back teat ATM, she sounds like she really cares about her dogs I have taken on all your advice and I probably will not buy this puppy though, I didn't realise there was such a stigma with buying a not official breeder puppy, these puppies are here now and need good homes so it's really a catch 22 at this stage frown.gif

:) thanks for the update...and glad pups will be staying for a while longer - it really is so important !

"Stigma" ?

not really a stigma - more like buying from a registered breeder is trying to obtain a puppy from the best possible source, and have the best possible help -

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The parents should have hip and elbow tests and possibly eyes, not sure if that is Goldies or LAbs only???

But read the thread in the links and that will give you a heap of info.

Remember the puppy you buy is the dog you live with for 15 years. You want to pick the healthiest, most mentally stable puppy you can. That emans buying form someone who properly health screens parents - not just a vet check - feeds them and mum correctly and well, takes care of any potential paarsites correctly and only breeds from mentally stable parents. They puppies should also be raised properly in an appropriate environment.

Not only that but who will you go to if you have concerns or issues as the puppy is growing up if they are inexperienced and don't have breeder back up themselves??

I understand all that now oso but what will become of these babies if someone doesn't take them and insure they are well looked after ands desexed?

They will go to less knowledgeable buyers who will still line the breeder's pockets. And if they develop serious health issues, they will break their owners' hearts. :(

A responsible GR breeder tests hips, elbows, eyes and heart. If this breeder hasn't done those tests RUN A MILE!!!!!

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Hi There, as everyone else has already mentioned, $900 for a BYB pup is a ridiculous amount. I can think of a few select breeds who would be much dearer than this with a reg breeder but there is a reason for this and I dare say skimping on the purchase price will quickly seem like a crap idea once vet bills due to lack of health screening start arriving on your door step.

I can also tell you a bit about my experience with an under age pup:

Oh took home his puppy at 4 weeks. This was several years ago now, the dog is 6 now. OH did not know better at the time.

We still have the dog but he is kennelled separately, not allowed off leash with other dogs as he is socially inept and somewhat dangerous to them. He will play ok for a little while (most of the time) but when he feels a dog or pup has somehow transgressed on his rights he will give a correction that is way over the top and quite dangerous to the other dog. He is very difficult to introduce to other dogs. He is quite a strong dog (mixed mutt btw) and any resistance by other dogs basically causes him to steamroll that dog.

OH refused to neuter but I doubt his behavior would be much different minus nads.

He can be unpredictable inside the house and I do not feel safe with him loose in the house so he sleeps outside in his kennel. He weighs half as much as me so I refuse to handle him outside a fenced in area as I cannot hold him if he really wants to go. He is well trained but he has moments where you cannot rely on his training to stop the shit from hitting the fan.

We don't have neighbors and we are extremely careful with this dog as we feel he could be dangerous to others. He is never off leash away from home and he only ever travels to the vet or to OHs work (which is fenced).

His life is very restricted due to being unable to go off leash in town or playing with other dogs and he is a pain in the butt to manage because he cannot be loose with the other dogs without having somebody right there making sure he is taken away before he gets too excited.

I cannot tell you how much of this is bad breeding and how much is bad raising but the dog has been with OH ever since we started dating and I made sure he was trained, saw a vet and was looked after. He has never been abused. I would never take an under age pup again after this experience and this dog will never be rehomed. PTS is his only option if we could not keep him for any reason.

I see now we are talking a GR here. I imagine you could buy a health tested, well raised pup with papers for $900.

There are plenty of poorly bred and raised pups out there and they are all cute. But do you really want to deal with the effects of their breeding and upbringing for the next 15 + years just because you felt bad for them? Would you not rather give your money to a responsible breeder and encourage them to keep raising great pups by supporting them instead of a shady breeder? Remember you will have to live with this dog and pay its vet bills, not the breeder.

If a thief stole a litter of puppies and told you that he'd drown them if you didn't buy one - would you reward his behaviour by buying one? Or ask for a look, get the rego of his car and his phone number with a view to buying one - and call the cops?

This person perhaps not as bad as a thief but - you don't want to be rewarding this kind of behaviour by giving them money.

In QLD - the breeder must microchip the puppy at 8 weeks of age, and hopefully vaccinate and worm etc before rehoming or selling the puppies.

Personally from someone like this - I would want all "promises" in writing - including what the vet says - in writing on the vet's letterhead with their phone number so you can ring them up and verify independently.

Everything this person has told you for why you must take the puppy early - are routinely told to puppy buyers by bad people who tell lies. This person might be honest but they're not doing the right thing.

In QLD the AWL used to have a deal where the owner of the bitch could trade the puppies for a desex operation. I think that's the right thing to do with an "accidental" litter. There's no profit for the owner, and no chance of another accident.

I'm sure they will all go to decent homes, but that's not your responsibility, it's the breeders.

Of course it's completely up to you but keep in mind, as others have said, this dog could be with you for 15 years or more, so you want to make sure you're getting a puppy that will meet your needs.

6 weeks is still too young which suggests that this person isnt as informed as they should be re breeding dogs.

If you do decide to get the pup please ask to see health tests, if there are none, I think you would be asking for trouble to still take it.

Best of luck, I know you feel responsible but the breeder is the one who needs to find the pups good homes.

Shailer park? No I don't think so these ones are in Ipswich I don't know how to back out I feel terrible I already payed a deposit as well though it's only $100 I can get a papered female labrador for $1000 from a registered breeder so now I don't know what to do :(

I think if you feel you would like to back out then you should do so with minimal fanfare. Yes it would be good for the breeder to know why but you don't sound like the confrontational type lol

I think a simple call or email (depending on how you have communicated so far) saying you have changed your mind should work fine. I don't know what you agreed on re. the deposit (non refundable or what) so I cannot tell you what to do about but I would gladly loose $100 and find a reputable breeder than feel like I have to go through with it even though I didn't want to.

If I were in the OP's situation, I'd be doing everything possible to take a visit and to see and assess the situation with my own eyes.

Why?

Read my other posts in this thread. And Steve's post above.

I did and don't understand what you are trying to say :confused: The OP is not the person to be educating the breeder as they do not know about registered breeders, health tests etc.

Cheys 232 just ring/email the breeder and let them know you have changed your mind about the pup. You may lose your deposit, but better than that than end up with a crook dog with shonky hips or worse, who will cost you way more than $100 in vet bills.

Chey -

agree , email the breeder and just say that you are aware that you will forfeit the deposit , but circumstances have changed , and you will not be buying the pup.

you need not go into detail ... just those facts ....and ignore any please/deals etc which may follow !!

Then breathe deeply .....