Ringsports

This is mostly hypothetical, but would anyone be interested in starting up French or Mondio Ring here? From what I understand, it's a much truer test of working ability, and is less political than IPO/Schutzhund.

I know of at least one state (sorry Vic) that couldn't participate, but what do you DOLers think the response would be from the general public and politicians? I'm guessing they generally think that bite sports are for yobbos.

Does anyone here have any experience with Ring sports? Or KNPV even?

There's always going to be politics when you start a club :laugh:

I've had some experience with KNPV, it's absolutely another level to IPO and you can't blag your way through some of it. It is a lot more difficult though comparably but I can only see that as a positive for breeds and breeding :)

There are decoys that have been overseas for ringsport, you need the suit work skills to make a good dog as they want a good grip right into the decoy, not pull on the equipment.

There's always going to be politics when you start a club :laugh:

I've had some experience with KNPV, it's absolutely another level to IPO and you can't blag your way through some of it. It is a lot more difficult though comparably but I can only see that as a positive for breeds and breeding :)

There are decoys that have been overseas for ringsport, you need the suit work skills to make a good dog as they want a good grip right into the decoy, not pull on the equipment.

Yes I know, you can't escape politics :(

What about PSA? I forgot about that one. They use full suits too, and cater too all dog breeds including the big guys. I'm not as familiar with KNPV and PSA, but they both seem pretty intense, heres a PSA3 Ob routine

- crazy! It would be a big job to introduce any of these sports. There would need to be some kind of decoy training set up too, so people don't have to go overseas as you said.

Would be nice for people to go overseas and get the experience with what is expected, how they train, get the skills up to deal with problems that crop up during the training process. I'm starting up my own titles this year which have taken from KNPV and some other sports but we have to leave out the bitework :( poo.

I'd join if there was one close enough for me. As it is I have to travel 6 hours for IPO

Yes that's a problem I can foresee. I can't imagine these sports would be hugely popular here, especially because we only have a handful of working dog breeders.

Would be nice for people to go overseas and get the experience with what is expected, how they train, get the skills up to deal with problems that crop up during the training process. I'm starting up my own titles this year which have taken from KNPV and some other sports but we have to leave out the bitework :( poo.

That's actually why I started this thread. I'm going over to the U.S for a few months in the hopes of getting some experience with this kind of thing. Victoria is not a good state to live in if you're interested in this kind of thing is it? Hopefully that will change in the next few years.

This is mostly hypothetical, but would anyone be interested in starting up French or Mondio Ring here? From what I understand, it's a much truer test of working ability, and is less political than IPO/Schutzhund.

I know of at least one state (sorry Vic) that couldn't participate, but what do you DOLers think the response would be from the general public and politicians? I'm guessing they generally think that bite sports are for yobbos.

I'd be rapt if there were quality ring sports accessible to me.

The politicians and public who think its a yobbo sport can allow the yobbo view of dog ownership to be the norm, or allow promotion of better examples for management training understanding and breeding. :shrug: I think interest would grow with promotion and expertise, but doubt it would be an easy journey.

Edited by moosmum

I would be rapt just to see more support behind Schutzhund/IPO as a start. People in VIC are restricted from bite sports full stop.

It would be great to see bitesports embraced more here and a wider range available.

I'd be rapt if there were quality ring sports accessible to me.

The politicians and public who think its a yobbo sport can allow the yobbo view of dog ownership to be the norm, or allow promotion of better examples for management training understanding and breeding. :shrug: I think interest would grow with promotion and expertise, but doubt it would be an easy journey.

It would be a very difficult journey. Just today I showed someone a video of IPO and they were horrified that they hit the dogs with a stick. Sadly, this is the norm. I have absolutely no idea how one would go about introducing more dog sports to Aus, especially if most people think they're cruel.

I would be rapt just to see more support behind Schutzhund/IPO as a start. People in VIC are restricted from bite sports full stop.

It would be great to see bitesports embraced more here and a wider range available.

Agreed. I think we need to start getting more international dog trainers over here to promote the sport and support working dog breeders. The more people become familiar with bite sports, the more backing we have to get some sense into the Vic government.