Inbreeding Rules Kill Giraffe

Steve

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wildthing

Try euthanasing a few of the humans who are responsible for the breeding and then see what would happen.

So let me get this straight...

They euthanaised 4 lions in order to get in another male and breed MORE lions... WTF???

Who the hell is sending them animals? They need to stop, as Copenhagen Zoo seriously have no freaking clue...

Seriously not a fan of Copenhagen Zoo right now!

T.

I wonder how the Copenhagen Zoo can get away with doing the things they do. Why are other zoos sending them animals when they're killing them off for no apparent good reason.

I would have thought their practises would cause world wide concern amongst other zoos and that it would be treated as a matter of scandal. Why aren't other zoos condemning the Copenhagen Zoo?

From National Geographic Daily News...

A Denmark zoo that earned international condemnation for killing a healthy giraffe last month has euthanized four African lions.

The Copenhagen Zoo put down a 16-year-old male lion, a 14-year-old lioness, and two young lions this week to make way for a new male lion from the Givskud Zoo, also in Denmark.

"The change in the lion pride had to happen now because Copenhagen Zoo currently has two young females from the 2012 litter and it is ideal to keep these as part of the new pride and then find a suitable male," the zoo wrote in a Wednesday statement on its website.

"If the Zoo had not made the change in the pride now then we would have risked that the old male would mate with these two females—his own offspring—and thereby give rise to inbreeding," the statement says.

What's more, the 14-year-old lioness was too old to give birth and raise another litter without complications, the zoo said. (Read more about zoos and saving rare species in National Geographic magazine.)

The news quickly reverberated across the globe, with 10,000 stories as of Wednesday and Twitter abuzz with people expressing shock and disgust.

But the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) noted in a statement that the Copenhagen Zoo "has not broken any of its codes of conduct."

Still, by Wednesday morning, 49,000 people had signed a petition on the environmental advocacy website Care2.org entitled "Tell Copenhagen Zoo to Stop Killing Healthy Animals!"

EAZA said that the Copenhagen Zoo "has been consistent in its approach to animal population management, and high standards of animal welfare.

"As a result, while EAZA regrets the death of the animals in question, we recognize the right of Copenhagen Zoo to humanely cull them in line with their policies," the statement continued.

Giraffe Death Sparked Outrage

The Copenhagen Zoo's killing and public dismemberment last month of a healthy giraffe that the facility had named Marius also sparked outrage on social media.

The news even prompted death threats against zoo staff, and was seen by some animal lovers as a provocative response to a campaign to spare the giraffe's life in the days and hours leading up to his death. (See "Opinion: Killing of Marius the Giraffe Exposes Myths About Zoos.")

An online petition asking the Copenhagen Zoo to hold off on killing its unwanted giraffe until another home could be found had received tens of thousands of signatures from around the world. Wildlife parks in Britain, Sweden, and the Netherlands had offered to take Marius off the zoo's hands.

"When breeding success increases it is sometimes necessary to euthanize," Bengt Holst, Copenhagen Zoo's scientific director, said in a February 9 statement on their giraffe's death.

"We see this as a positive sign and as insurance that we in the future will have a healthy giraffe population in European zoos."

So you kill a giraffe and hack it up to feed to the lions because he doesn't fit with your breeding program. Then you kill the lions because they don't fit with your breeding program. Then you get another lion to breed to make more lions which will no doubt suffer a similar fate given time, as they will all be genetically related. Then you try to justify it to the world that it is all about conservation, because we are all idiots obviously. May be time to put more thought into the breeding program or get a bigger zoo. Very sad for all the animals.

Well I get why they have done it and even though I would rather they found an alternative they are looking at a big picture breeding program.That takes precedence. Not much difference to this and a farmer killing excess stock for the table or sending them off to market for killing.

They cant just keep animals alive if they are not part of that as it costs money - big money to house them and feed them and vet them and its not like they can find homes for them as easily as a dog or cat breeder can when they are no longer required for breeding. My objection was with the public killing of the giraffe.

Never heard a farmer say they are about conservation though, which is what the zoo claims. I think they would be more like dog breeders than farmers - and if they don't have a big enough zoo for the animals they breed or alternative homes for them then they shouldn't be breeding the animals. And it doesn't seem like they think much about their breeding program past the next generation - it seems like they will be in the exact same situation down the track. Many zoos have expressed horror at what they are doing so I definitely don't think this is normal practice - or maybe they are just more secretive about their culling? I don't disagree with the public dissection (I wasn't aware the killing was public as well) - people were given the choice, not had it forced on them. And it might make more people think about where their own meat comes from, rather than just a tray in the supermarket.

ETA And a number of zoos offered to take Marius, the giraffe, but their offers were ignored.

Edited by Chocolatelover

Oh I'm sure it's completely justifiable by someone's standards but all I can think of is a lion skin rug for the CEO's office. Fresh baby cubs are better for the budget than a few old lions hanging around.

What a waste :mad

:rainbowbridge:

Oh I'm sure it's completely justifiable by someone's standards but all I can think of is a lion skin rug for the CEO's office. Fresh baby cubs are better for the budget than a few old lions hanging around.

Yep its a world gone mad

It's not exactly the aim of conservation to cull overpopulations in zoos due to the lack of use of contraception and/or selective breeding. It works just fine everywhere else in the world with no nasty side effects for the animals (apart from not breeding willy-nilly) - so why the complete disdain for contraception - or at the very least separation of males and females until you want to breed them (and have the space for them all)?

The zoo that is sending Copenhagen the new male lion is also Danish... *sigh*

But the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) noted in a statement that the Copenhagen Zoo "has not broken any of its codes of conduct."

Still, by Wednesday morning, 49,000 people had signed a petition on the environmental advocacy website Care2.org entitled "Tell Copenhagen Zoo to Stop Killing Healthy Animals!"

EAZA said that the Copenhagen Zoo "has been consistent in its approach to animal population management, and high standards of animal welfare.

"As a result, while EAZA regrets the death of the animals in question, we recognize the right of Copenhagen Zoo to humanely cull them in line with their policies," the statement continued.

Seriously - EAZA and Copenhagen Zoo need to BOTH drag their "policies" out of the dark ages... this sort of thing should NOT be happening in the name of "conservation" of the animals... it only works for conservation of the Zoo's bank balance by making cute baby animals to milk the public pocket to come see (before we kill them to make room for the next batch)...

T.

Edited by tdierikx

what happens in a couple of years time?

so sad :cry:

All because they do not believe in contraception. No better an animal is dead than god forbid we use a contraceptive on it. Seems like other zoos animals aren't imploding due to the use of contraceptives.

Comparing what they are doing to farmers breeding animals for the meat market is comparing apples to oranges and cannot be done.

All because they do not believe in contraception. No better an animal is dead than god forbid we use a contraceptive on it. Seems like other zoos animals aren't imploding due to the use of contraceptives.

Comparing what they are doing to farmers breeding animals for the meat market is comparing apples to oranges and cannot be done.

Its about money - if its not breeding its not paying its way .Its using resources and costing money - off with its head.

Yes that is true, however they are apparently breeding for conservation not breeding for profit. Farmers are either breeding stud animals to be sold or meat animals. Still not comparable.

Even when you are not breeding for profit you have to conserve your resources to be able to do the most good - its not a bottomless pit and every animal they keep alive that cant contribute is one they cant have that can contribute. Farmers can only keep the best animals to breed with regardless of what they will do with them. The goals may be different though some would argue that protecting a purebred cattle breed's bloodline is not much different to protecting a lion's

but its the same result - you cant just keep animals that are no longer needed for the gene pool.