Are Chicken Wings Okay For My Bulldog Puppy?

samanthony23

Hi Guys,

Just after a few thoughts on what is okay to give my 10 week old British Bulldog puppy to chew on. Tried the nylabone but not really interested in it. The vet recommended either pigs ears or chicken wings. I have researched that pigs ears are very high in fat so I thought against them. Also, I know that bulldogs can't cope with bones like other dogs can so I was just wondering if it is okay to give him raw chicken wings (supervised of course!) as a treat?

Any other recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Chicken wings would be fine. My whippet puppy (10 weeks old and about 3.8kg) loves them, greedily crunches them up and has been eating them since we got him at 8 weeks without any issues.

Our dogs also get lamb spare ribs with the excess fat trimmed off occasionally as a treat.

I was advised the same, always supervised. I have an american.

He gets chicken necks and wings now. If he starts to swallow without chewing we are going to carcasses. Also vet advised. They say the treat should be bigger than the dogs head to start and removed when they can swallow it.

Pigs ears are FABULOUS for sometimes treats. He gets them at puppy pre school, when he's being an obnoxious turd and wont settle at night when it's 'quiet time' or when we want him to lounge with us and watch a movie. They are his movie treats.

I second the frozen. I've just finished feeding the zoo and it was an assortment of dinners tonight. 4 of them got a dinner of frozen chicken wings, we freeze them into meal portions in freezer bags to make it easier to serve frozen. Obviously with a puppy you would only be feeding one at a time anyway though.

We start our litters off on chicken wings at about 5-6 weeks (thereabouts depending on the puppies and wing availability). We don't feed frozen at that age, although we do keep hold of one end as they eat to stop them gulping too fast. Also a great chance to teach them a "give" and that they will get their food back as long as they allow us to hold it or take it periodically. Not a bad skill to reinforce throughout their puppyhood (and life if need be). By 10 weeks they are eating a frozen wing on their own. Takes them forever with puppy teeth!

Hi Guys,

Just after a few thoughts on what is okay to give my 10 week old British Bulldog puppy to chew on. Tried the nylabone but not really interested in it. The vet recommended either pigs ears or chicken wings. I have researched that pigs ears are very high in fat so I thought against them. Also, I know that bulldogs can't cope with bones like other dogs can so I was just wondering if it is okay to give him raw chicken wings (supervised of course!) as a treat?

Any other recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Raw chicken wings are suitable. Later, when puppy grows the occasional turkey wing will be well recieved too.

ETA: appreciate the tip to serve the wings frozen. Will be ideal for making the meal 'longer'

Edited by VizslaMomma

Okay definitely gonna give the frozen chicken wings a go, and I like the idea about teaching them to be able to give their food. I will let you all know how we go!

Also, any ideas about something that is okay to leave with him in his enclosure during the day that will keep him well occupied for a little while?

thanks =)

A stuffed, frozen kong. I've put pup's kibble in a kong, poured water over it & spread tinned puppy food over the opening to keep it inside until it freezes.

luvsdogs....great idea! I bought the kong...but unsure on how to stuff the kibble...thanks for the idea! :thumbsup:

Okay definitely gonna give the frozen chicken wings a go, and I like the idea about teaching them to be able to give their food. I will let you all know how we go!

Also, any ideas about something that is okay to leave with him in his enclosure during the day that will keep him well occupied for a little while?

thanks =)

I don't. Mucking about with a dog's meal and messing up the timing of take and reward can make them anxious about food and hey presto you get yourself a resource guarder if your dog is wired for that.

Meal times are for eating, not training IMO. Give him his food, let him eat it quietly and calmly and train "give' at other times. I suggest you start with a toy.

Why can't Bulldogs eat bones like other dogs? confused.gif

Many pigs ears are imported from questionable sources and some can have very high bacterial loads. Choose an Australia source for these. Treats like tendons, beef whizzers etc can be good time wasters for a dog. Again Australian sources are recommended.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

why freeze the raw, it just turns it into a hard lump. Turkey necks are another good option.

Frozen chicken necks take longer to consume, the puppy chews them and the cold soothes the gums. I've been doing this with my puppy for the last 7 weeks with his brekky, he goes nuts for them and is quite disappointed if I run out and has thawed mince instead :laugh:

Any Bracchy breed should not be given pigs ears or anything like that, as when they have been chewing on it for awhile it goes very soft and if they decide to swallow it it can block their airways and of course I need not tell you what happens then, I have known of a couple of Frenchies and a British Bulldog who have lost their lives from being given this sort of treat, even if you are there it can be tough getting it out in time. So DO NOT give your Bulldog those sort of treats.

As for the Bracchy's again re chicken wings and necks, because of their short airways and flat faces they cannot handle chicken wings or necks unless cut up into small pieces, known of Frenchies also dying from one getting stuck in the throat and the owners could not get it out in time, so hence cut them up in bite sized bits, none of my dogs have ever had pigs ears, their chicken wings and necks are cut up as described.

The Kong is a blessing to keep puppies and dogs happy especially our flat faced friends.