Treats

Pinchy

Time for another random question from me:)

We are starting puppy class tonight. I'm super excited, I hope it's good:) They said to bring enough treats for an hour. That seems like a lot of treats!!

I'm looking for suggestions of some things to keep interesting.

So far devon and chicken have been a hit. I don't think kibble would be enticing enough unless he was really hungry. (I know not to feed him before we go).

Cheese and carrot seem good to. Can I mix it up or am better off keeping to one food per session?

Also I know they bury food and eat dirt and things but is it really ok to leave say meat or cheese in my bag for an hour and then use it? I always worry about it not being in the fridge, is that crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut the treats up reaaaaaaally small, as small as you can, for example I chop my frankfurt slices into 6 smaller pieces. And mixing it up is fine, I throw in bits of small kibble to bulk out my treats BUT my dogs are very very very very food motivated.

I put the treats in a lunch box with a cooling block if they are likely to go mushy/smelly over the course of the day :laugh:

Cut the treats up reaaaaaaally small, as small as you can, for example I chop my frankfurt slices into 6 smaller pieces. And mixing it up is fine, I throw in bits of small kibble to bulk out my treats BUT my dogs are very very very very food motivated.

I put the treats in a lunch box with a cooling block if they are likely to go mushy/smelly over the course of the day :laugh:

Yes! Chicken is OK for home, but cooked chicken is a bit problemaatic in a class environment, since it tends to shred and bits drop everywhere -.. but ... if you can get your deli to slice up Inghams Chicken sandwich loaf into thicker than normal slices, you can then cut that up into the size you want - and it doesn't shred. Most puppies love it - and you can break a small cube up even smaller without it dropping bits everywhere.

I use a 50% fat tasty cheese - Bega - it stays in one piece even when you break a cube up into smaller pieces, and they're not getting quite as much overload.

I like to use soft treats as you can get lots of reps of behaviours without having to wait for them to crunch up hard treats.

Have lots of fun - hope it's a good class. Don't forget it's a highly distracting and exciting atmosphere usually, so don't worry if he looks as though he's never learnt anything. Just be calm and keep working with him. I teach puppy class at my club, and it amazes me how well the pups can settle down and 'work' once they're over the first excitement of meet and greet.

Edited by Tassie

I used boiled chicken for my boy at puppy school that ended last weekend. Yeah it does shred, but he wouldn't take any of the other treats people had and it was okay. However, I wish I had heard that tip that Tassie just said about the chicken sandwich loaf cut thick and diced! Brilliant idea. I will do that for the next sessions I undertake. Thanks Tassie!!! :thumbsup:

I break my treats into itty bitty pieces and use teeny tiny kibble.

We get treats given to use by our puppy school as it's included in the price so it stops other dogs coming over to check out your bits hahaha. We get given happy paws and I break mine into infentisimal chunks so they last the whole time and vinnie doesn't get too full (and unmotivated). When we get home I give him a half dinner or if they have a pig's ear too (we get them so the pups stay quiet while they give us some education on vaccinations and food) I'll give him some puppy milk and half a handful of kibble.

Also this might just be my own little quirk but I have never fed any of my dogs after coming home from puppy or obedience class. Cheese/processed meats are very high in fat and other bad stuff so best to let their little tummies process that without another meal on top IMO! Just make sure they have heaps of water.

Sorry to hijack, but I hear ppl say make treats small, but how small is too small? I have a corgi and I am clueless how small I should have them. I am worried if they are too small he won't v even know he got a treat in his mouth?

Sorry to hijack, but I hear ppl say make treats small, but how small is too small? I have a corgi and I am clueless how small I should have them. I am worried if they are too small he won't v even know he got a treat in his mouth?

All my treats are about the size of a dried pea...if that gives you any idea. If it is large enough to break it up, then I will break it up :D You can always give multiple small treats for a job well done...This is sometimes called "silver service" & may be for something like a brilliant recall or something even less if your puppy is just learning a new behavior.

All my treats are about the size of a dried pea...if that gives you any idea. If it is large enough to break it up, then I will break it up :D You can always give multiple small treats for a job well done...This is sometimes called "silver service" & may be for something like a brilliant recall or something even less if your puppy is just learning a new behavior.

This is exactly what I have been instructed. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys again for all the suggestions:) tonight I am going with devon and chicken roll, though reading this I may have cut them too small! Haha they're about 4mm lol. Oops!

I'll check out that sheet too thanks Sheena!

We are leaving in about 40 mins and he is a bit poopy that he hasn't had dinner yet hanging in the kitchen giving me puppy eyes hehehe.

I'll see how he goes and how much he eats tonight and decide if he needs any dinner when we get back.

I'm not expecting too much of him tonight but do secretley hope he is not a total goof ball in class, imagine the reputation damage we could do to BCs .

I do hope it's a good class though. The instructor sounded great on the phone. Will let you all know how we go:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk