Milk Thistle What Brand And Dose

SueM

My chihuahua just had a blood test done, he is on epilepsy medications and his liver levels are on the rise, my vet suggested using Milk Thistle, does anyone here use it and if so what dose do you give thanks.

My chihuahua just had a blood test done, he is on epilepsy medications and his liver levels are on the rise, my vet suggested using Milk Thistle, does anyone here use it and if so what dose do you give thanks.

Look for a standardised (70 or 80% silymarin) product and make sure its organic I can make you up some in any size you want if you like - in the raw organic herb or organic powder with a dogz discount. Comes with dosages and directions for pets and humans too.

Edited by Steve

Thanks! That would be great, The powder would be good.

.O.K. Ill send you some dandelion to sample too. Both are really great for the liver. Ive just put the powder into the store for you - no postage charge

Link Use dogz as the coupon code - any problems give a yell.

Edited by Steve

.O.K. Ill send you some dandelion to sample too. Both are really great for the liver. Ive just put the powder into the store for you - no postage charge

Sent you a message, having no joy ordering via the site.

Sent you a message, having no joy ordering via the site.

Fixed now - I mucked up the listing as I was putting it in the store.

I just buy milk thistle tablets from the supermarket. If I can't find it, I buy "Liver Detox" tablets (by Suisse, I think). I used to give my 30kg dog 1 tablet a day but after 8 years on anti-seizure meds his liver levels also started rising so I've doubled the dosage. His last blood test showed his levels had come down a little since doubling the dosage.

I just buy milk thistle tablets from the supermarket. If I can't find it, I buy "Liver Detox" tablets (by Suisse, I think). I used to give my 30kg dog 1 tablet a day but after 8 years on anti-seizure meds his liver levels also started rising so I've doubled the dosage. His last blood test showed his levels had come down a little since doubling the dosage.

Thanks! have ordered the powder, being so small I would possibly have an issue with tablets.

Thanks! have ordered the powder, being so small I would possibly have an issue with tablets.

I was going to say use Steve's powder as I used to quarter a human milk thistle tab for a 15kg dog...so you're heading into frustrating territory tablet wise. :laugh:

Also look into SAMe, along with milk thistle I believe that really helped bring Louis liver levels down when he was on his high pred dose. If you get the type with the enteric coating, you should break the tablet up before dosing though.

Thanks

Not all milk thistle products are equal - many of them have extra things added. The powder and tea is pretty hard to give too much of and its used to make pancakes,salad dressings, and other recipes. When you use the tea you don't get much at all as the water doesn't extract the good stuff you need. If you eat the whole seed not much at all is absorbed. The milk thistle seed powder is said to work better than 80% standardized silymarin products and is easy to administer. Of course the other issue is where was it grown and organic means it hasn't been grown with or exposed to chemicals at any stage of its life etc so I opt for the organic powder.

• 9 months later...

Just an update on the Milk Thistle I got from you Steve, just had results from blood tests and all levels are down into the normal range,which is great as they were getting high, I have enough for another month or two, will order some more soon if you still have it :thumbsup:

Edited by SueM