Heartworm/worming Options For Naughty Adult Dogs

Can you put the tablets in a handful of small kibble and do some training with her? Sit, drop, stay etc and reward with some dry, then repeat though this time have the tablet in your hand with a small amount of dry, open your hand and let her scoff the lot?

I use four legs too, if she eats that put the tablet in say one of five balls and do the same.

The other thing I use at times if I am busy is nutrigel. Put a blob on your finger and cover the tablet. Let her lick your finger (mine love it!) and then folow with the tablet.

Mine are all fine to have medication popped into their gob's if needed.

Agree a spot on is probably easier for you, though finding a positive way for her to take meds is worth working on if she ever needs oral meds in the future :)

eta

Edited by Nic.B

Years ago I had the master of all dogs getting rid of heartworm tablets. My son used to feed the dogs and always put a daily tablet in with the food. This one dog always cleaned up her bowl and then ran off to a particular spot in the yard. One day I was home to feed the dogs and watched this process, on inspection I found a small hole which revealed about 10 heartworm tablets. She stashed them every day in the same place. I believe the tablets used at that time were quite bitter. A change of brands and the issue stopped.

Yes I think I've become worried that mine has been pretending to eat her tablets and they are hidden in the garden somewhere! They seem to make the edible varieties so big that if your dog wont eat it you need to chop it into quarters to hide it successfully. Little tablets that we have had for health issues have been fine hidden in food but none of our dogs gets sick very often so I haven't had to deal with trying to give out a tablet that can't be administered with food. There just seems to be something about the brands of heartworm and worm tabs that I use that I can no longer disguise! Spot on it is!

Thanks everyone!

I'm another one that would, suggest trying Milbemax. Much smaller than the chewables which Mya does not like at all. They are way too big to hide in food so you have to chop them up small and then you have to struggle to get four doses down her.

Also, do you regularly just give her treats stood in the same place you would give her her meds. I would be giving her a few treats each day in the kitchen or wherever you usually try to give her the meds and then maybe when it comes to giving her the pills she won't think anything is up especially if you couple it with a bit of training maybe?

I've just had to give Jeena a long course of antibiotics and, boy, did they stink. It did become a bit of a struggle towards the end. Cheese would no longer cut it. I had to keep thinking of new stuff to hide it in, so I don't envy you :)

Well, a bit of an update. Coincidentally I just had to worm my three. Luka is finishing up my supply of Interceptor spectrum chews. No problem with him :D

Mya gets a Milbemax pill in a piece of sausage, no problem :D

Jenna get s a Milbemax pill in a piece of sausage. Nup, tries to chew it a little bit then spits it out. This is the first time I have wormed them since the antibiotics and her memory is obviously better than I thought :laugh: I got it down though. Made the piece of sausage smaller and then just put it in her mouth to the side and as far back as I could and closed her mouth. She didn't protest too much and swallowed. not looking forward to the next time though.

I use Ivermectin sold for livestock...same stuff as the active ingredient in Heartguard. You get it out of the bottle with a syringe. I just shoot up an egg (cracked, inject the yolk). The volume used is tiny and dogs don't know the difference. Dosage information is all over the internet...the practice is widespread in the US. I use pyrantel pamoate liquid for regular worming. The volume is pretty small, and the dogs don't notice it when mixed in with their food.

Mine would rather a tablet jammed down their throat than get that nasty spot on stuff done... they run a mile when they see (or smell) the tubes... lol!

T.

Same here, mine run off too if I even think of putting anything on them.

Spot ons can cause problems if you have multiple dogs and they lick one another.

For anyone who needs to get tablets into a dog and cannot bring themselves to stick fingers down the dog's throat, try a pill popper. They are marvelous and so easy to use. I have used one on a cat and they make dosing cats so much easier and safer. Have never needed one for a dog but they would work just as well.

Mine would rather a tablet jammed down their throat than get that nasty spot on stuff done... they run a mile when they see (or smell) the tubes... lol!

T.

Same here, mine run off too if I even think of putting anything on them.

Spot ons can cause problems if you have multiple dogs and they lick one another.

Mine completely avoid each other when they have spot-on on... they hate the smell that much...

T.