Sign in to follow this  
whippytails

Favourite Lenses For Pets

34 posts in this topic

tlc   

For the dogs I use the 70-20 f/4 for action, I love it and use it a lot for our dog obedience classes, great compression at the 200mm end and a nice sharp lens through the whole range. (Mine is no IS and I haven't missed it at all)

The 85mm f/1.8 is a fantastic portrait lens as is the 50mm f/1.4 (mine is the Sigma EX version its awesome but a bit soft at 1.4) I love the primes for portraits, the bokeh and the DOF on both the 85mm and the 50mm is awesome, the 85mm is one of canons better Non L lenses. Sigma also do an 85mm f/1.4 that I have seen awesome images from.

I also have the 24-70 f/2.8 (sigma EX version) its amazing I use it If I am shooting big groups or dogs and humans.

I have other lenses as well but the ones mentioned above are my go to for dogs and cats especially.

Kirislin   

I dont have many lenses. For whippet, (and now IG ) action, which is pretty fast I love the 70-200 2.8. I have often wished for the 100-400 for the whippet races but I've never used it.

I love my 50mm prime for closer shots and use that alot in my house, which is quite dark.

I've also used my 100mm macro when we used to have our whippet fun days there and found it pretty good.

Damn local shop has thrown a spanner in the works. Cant get a D5200 in at the moment. So back to the drawning board or wait until I head to Melb next. I want my new toy now.

piper   

Can you look online? Some of the online places have incredibly fast shipping.

Snook   

CameraPro isn't grey. They're in QLD and I bought my camera body and a lens from them online.

ETA: They also had the most competitive prices for gear with a genuine Australian warranty.

Edited by Snook

Awesome thanks Snook :) edited to add. HN is actually cheaper by a few hundred dollars surprisingly.

Edited by whippytails

piper   

These guys in Adelaide are great http://www.camerastore.com.au/?gclid=CLvH3uj967wCFQQipQods0QAcg Even rang before shipping my lens to let me know it was being sent and check that the address I had put was the right 1 for the next day or would I prefer somewhere else if I wouldn't be home.

I also know someone that just used http://www.georges.com.au and were very impressed with the service they received and the prices.

I could not be more in love with my Tamron 70-200mm lens. It's the brand new version and retails at around $1,500. Before I brought it all the reviews I read were quite positive.

The only time I have taken it off my camera since I got it was to shoot in tight spaces, for landscapes or for macro.

RallyValley, is your 70-200 an F/2.8? Im really thinking of saving longer and getting on of these than getting the 18-270.

Have ordered myself 35mm F/1.8 prime as I can use it on my current as well.

Eeep went to the Harvey Norman sale and played witht eh D5200 and D7100 and have decided to go the D7100 so need to a save a little more so no new toy yet but I know i have made the right decision :)