Additional Nutrients/medications For Older Dog With Arthritis

My dog Bella ( red cattle dog in avatar ) is 9 and she's been on a joint mixture recommended called ' Joint saver Plus' that was recommended here which I get from ebay which hopefully has been doing it's job ( full tsp at night in her dinner)

I noticed that in the last few months she's starting to be stiff and mildly favoring her hind legs at night . She's not overly active but gets walked every day .

She's on a diet (28 kilo's) ( started after the symptoms) to shed 2-3 kilo's which I'm hoping will help her joints etc .

She went to the vet on Wednesday and other then the mention of looking at using steroids sthe vet wasn't too concerned and didn't suggest them as a requirement for now so I'm hoping someone here can help give me some ideas what else I can give my dog to help with the stiff leggies as we call it :)

She has 3/4 cup of Optimum Adult at night , with either 1/4 cup roo meat or vegies ( brown rice, mixed veg) and 1/4 cup Optimum in her treat ball in the morning while she plays with it outside .

Would anyone have any ideas that can help ? I know as she gets older these might be normal symptoms but if I can help or prevent it getting worse I would do anything I can for her :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two get fish oil in addition to their regular joint supplement (both are on Rose-hip vital canine and have been for 12 months now) but I have had them previously on joint guard and glyde. My 13.5 year old BC has had plenty of performance sports in her life and the chiro vet the other week was only remarking at how well she is doing for her age. She is also nearly 19 weeks post op for a cruciate repair surgery and still really only taking fish oil and a joint supplement with the very occasional tramadol but is otherwise doing very well.

Both mine also get regular chiro checks.

Edited by ness

The Aloe Juice you can get anywhere - supermarkets ,chemists helath food stores and its just neat Aloe Vera - the Napolea is another type of cactus juice but has lots of extra juices such as beets etc included. Google will find it for you - Ive seen the most miraculous things with them in people and dogs.

The Aloe Juice you can get anywhere - supermarkets ,chemists helath food stores and its just neat Aloe Vera - the Napolea is another type of cactus juice but has lots of extra juices such as beets etc included. Google will find it for you - Ive seen the most miraculous things with them in people and dogs.

Excuse the ignorance.

It is a juice and you mix it in with their food?

ETA: i though aloe vera was toxic to dogs?

Edited by denali

Excuse the ignorance.

No Aloe Vera juice isnt toxic to dogs given in the correct amounts - even an overdose only causes runny poos and yes you give it to them with food.

If they eat the plant then that can make them sick . Ive been giving it to my dogs and watching others use it for about 30 years now.

Edited to add If you can find a book called Aloe Vera Natures Gift - Aloe Vera in veterinary Practice Written by a Vet David Urch its full of great info and suggested dosages etc.

Edited by Steve

I've found a hair-DNA analysis very good for targeting what supplements a particular 'body' (person or dog) needs for certain things. I know of some people/dogs who have similar/same ailment, but body hair-DNA indicates what supplement (as there is often a range of supplements possible) is the most likely to be better absorbed and therefore potentially more successful. And sometimes, it can be a case of targeting a different area to increase the absorption of a supplement for the specific ailment.

Hope that makes sense.

Excuse the ignorance.

No Aloe Vera juice isnt toxic to dogs given in the correct amounts - even an overdose only causes runny poos and yes you give it to them with food.

If they eat the plant then that can make them sick . Ive been giving it to my dogs and watching others use it for about 30 years now.

Edited to add If you can find a book called Aloe Vera Natures Gift - Aloe Vera in veterinary Practice Written by a Vet David Urch its full of great info and suggested dosages etc.

Awesome- I've got some reading to do!

Perhaps you could have a look in your area and see if there are any animal physiotherapists? There is good sciences based research that the techniques they use can reduce pain and I have really seen arthritic dogs improve and maintain better movement and generally look less stiff. Some also do Skype consults if there are none local to you :) You end up doing 5-10 minutes of homework each day to maintain your dog rather than needing lots and lots of consults.

Oks . the powder she has is Joint Saver Plus and contains

"Joint Saver ingredients are

Shark cartilage, MSM , Glucosamine HCL, sodium ascorbate (vitamin C)"

so I'm cautious to add any more things that already contain the above so if I go for

1. the Joint Saver Plus ( morning and night 1 tsp )

2. Rose-Hip Vital Canine

3. Fish oil ( But how many ?)

is the combination of the above safe ?

I've made a note of the Cartrophen Vet , and will ask the vet next checkup to see how she's loosing weight .

I hate the thought of her getting older , all for selfish reasons but she's

a gift from heaven and changed our lives for the better :D

Edited by Christina77

My girls are 13 and 16kg and get 2 x 1000 mg fish oil capsules. Just make sure you either get a brand that contains vitamin E or you also give vitamin E.

You probably don't need to give the joint saver and the rose-hip vital but it won't hurt or cause any problems if you do give both.

Edited by ness