Additional Nutrients/medications For Older Dog With Arthritis

Interesting reading ! I appreciate the time taken and have taken everything into consideration .

I'd like to use the Synflex and will look into that further , but in the meantime I can report that the 'sore leggies" are so much better !

I'm using the joint powder I mentioned earlier 1stp in the morning with 1/2 tsp of the RHVC

small amount of dry food in her treat ball ( about 20 Optimum ) just to get her outside and spend a little time outdoors.

at night

2 Fish oil + VitE

RHVC

1 Tblsp Coconut oil

Joint powder 1stp

MSM Glucosamine 1

we saw a difference in about 5 days , she's also much happier although we will note some of her quiet/er behaviour to the changes of diet as she no longer gets any treats between meals. Must have been hard for her to understand but she seems ok with it now. But she's not spending all day following me around asking for food.

Diet wise I do , Roo meat + veg (minced) one day 3/4 cup roo 3/4 cup veg , other day dry food 3/4 cup , grated carrot and small portions.

She has lost weight :thumbsup: her chest has less flab and is much tighter and her hips are getting more defined but she still has more to loose . Will weigh her at the end of the month when she has a check up.

I think I'm on the right track , and something that is not too expensive to maintain .

Steve the only Turmeric I've seen up here is human tablets/capsules at the Health food store ( looking into getting them for myself :laugh: so would they be ok for the dog ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The human caps are fine but work out more expensive. I used them for Rogan as he was getting a few supplements & it was easier to give him caps. You should be able to buy turmeric powder in large quantity from Asian grocery stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Update , she's doing great :thumbsup:

Diet wise she actually has lost weight and she's not as quiet anymore, far more active and lies down and gets up with ease.

She's still as hungry ( or so she thinks being a Cattle dog) as ever but has stop following me to the fridge :laugh: so she seems to be getting the gist of 'no snacks'

Steve the only Turmeric I've seen up here is human tablets/capsules at the Health food store ( looking into getting them for myself :laugh: so would they be ok for the dog ?

Can't you get Tumeric powder at the supermarket, in the 'spices' isle?

Christina77 - great to hear your dog's losing some weight and that things are improving.

Christina77 - great to hear your dog's losing some weight and that things are improving.

Just beware that imported spices at the supermarket are genrally irradiated by customs. Not sure if that would affect efficacy, but a "medical" version for consumption may be a better choice.

Lots of spices in australia that dont go through customs are also irradiated. Regardless of where they come from they have to be tagged with this if they are so if its a big deal for you read the labels. I'm able to do organic tumeric powder or organic tumeric fingers.

Just beware that imported spices at the supermarket are genrally irradiated by customs. Not sure if that would affect efficacy, but a "medical" version for consumption may be a better choice.

Thanks Dr Bruce. Was wondering if supermarket quality was possibly affected as I typed the suggestion in my previous post. Doesn't surprise me. Must admit I prefer to obtain most natural herbals via health food stores or if you have it or a reputable site such as that of Steve's. My local health food store is becoming my local supermarket for me. But Steve's right ..... gotta read the labels. To do that, you gotta know what to look for. Thanks for the head's up tip, Steve.

Lots of spices in australia that dont go through customs are also irradiated. Regardless of where they come from they have to be tagged with this if they are so if its a big deal for you read the labels. I'm able to do organic tumeric powder or organic tumeric fingers.

Steve, re Tumeric/Turmeric, it doesn't appear on your site if spelled as Turmeric in the search-bar, so here I am being a spelling Nazi :o

I did check and came across this site: thedoctorstv.com/forums/910-March-22-2-13-5-Health-Habits-to-Stop-and-Start-Today/ topics/14041-Tumeric-or-Turmeric-

http://www.thedoctor...ic-or-Turmeric-

Steve, re Tumeric/Turmeric, it doesn't appear on your site if spelled as Turmeric in the search-bar, so here I am being a spelling Nazi :o

I did check and came across this site: thedoctorstv.com/forums/910-March-22-2-13-5-Health-Habits-to-Stop-and-Start-Today/ topics/14041-Tumeric-or-Turmeric-

http://www.thedoctor...ic-or-Turmeric-

Thank you I fixed it eek1.gif