Am I The Only One?

Salukifan

Maybe I'm just grumpy but I got a marketing email from a company today asking me if my "fur baby" had a sensitive stomach.

I responded that if they wanted their marketing to be successful, for me they'd best refer to dogs as dogs, not "fur children".

My personal theory is that if people understood canines better and didn't anthropomorphise them, dogs and people would be a lot better off.

I really hate the idea that dogs should be regarded as or referred to as little four legged babies. Am I the only one?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the term. I actually asked my boss where his fur-child was this morning (rare day in the office without him).

That said - I never refer to Scottie as my fur child. I do call myself mum, and my husband dad and do occasionally call him my baby.

Please don't shoot me or kick me off the forum.

I don't mind the term, so long as the person using it doesn't actually treat their dog like a child. It's probably only used as a term of affection most of the time.

My Mother calls my boy her "Grandpuppy", but he is definitely treated as a dog.

"Furbabies" does remind me of that disgusting documentary that was on SBS the other week about people who have baby Capuchin monkeys and dress them in diapers and put them in high chairs and cary them around.

I don't like furbabies but despise the term "kids" for dogs. they aren't my kids. They are my dogs. If I wanted kids I would have them!

Having said that I often refer to wiz as my baby :o as a term of endearment so I am a bit of a hypocrite! But it's just a pet name I don't actually think of her a child or baby substitute.

Edited by huski

I don't mind the term but I prefer 'furkids' over 'furbabies'. I use furkids sometimes myself but I mean it as a term of endearment, not because I really think the dog is a kid or baby replacement!

I don't mind people using the term with my pets either - since to me my animals are more appealing than human babies! :laugh: