Am I The Only One?

Salukifan

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care what anyone calls their dogs, and honestly dogs are better behaved than most children these days so why not raise their status to something that is more fitting :laugh:

:laugh: Well said

My Mother calls my boy her "Grandpuppy", but he is definitely treated as a dog.

I think that is really sweet and shows her love.

I don't like the term fur kids or fur babies, but then I hate the word kid unless we are talking about goats :shrug:

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Ditto to the above ^^^^

I find it distasteful to regard dogs as "kids" or any other like-replica of human-child definitive label.

Dogs are dogs. And we should recognise the respect of regarding any species of animal for the animal they are. Not for the animal we want them to think of them as.

Edited by Erny

No big deal to me, it's just a term of endearment, I'm more interested in how they're treated then what they're called. :)

This.

Yep me too. I don't use the term myself nor do I call my female greyhound a bitch. A bitch to me needs a good slap up side da head but each to their own.

Guest hankodie

I don't mind the term. I have no place to judge even if I did, I am more than guilty of giving my dogs baby names.

Hank gets called: Hankie, Hankie-Pankie, hankiedoodle, hankerchief, Mr. Handsome, hanky schpanks, stanky hanky (reserved for when I catch him rolling in poo), hankmeister, are-you-the-good-boy?-ARE-YOU-THE-GOOD-HANKIE? *usually accompanied by tail thumping*, president Hankie for when he's acting like a goodie 2 shoes....

Odie's list is probably triple that. So yeah. I ain't gonna judge!

I'm a sensible owner, my dogs are well behaved, as long as you treat the dog right you can refer to them as whatever you want IMO :D

Nah, you're not the only one!

I've been known to refer to myself as mum, my mum as Grandma, etc. But my dogs are dogs, they're not fur children or furbabies :vomit:

I do this. I often tell my dogs that 'daddy' is home. I'm Mummy and my parents are nanny and poppy. I refer to them as mummy's babies and other terms of endearment but when talking to others about them I call them dogs.

I don't care what other people call their pets as long as they treat them well and appropriately :)

when I was little, lots of people objected to calling children 'kids'.

'Fur babies' isn't part of my vocabulary, but I couldn't care less if others use the term. I call mine 'baby', 'puppy', 'girl' and 'kids' all the time, regardless of their ages. What's the difference?

I don't mind the term. I have no place to judge even if I did, I am more than guilty of giving my dogs baby names.

Hank gets called: Hankie, Hankie-Pankie, hankiedoodle, hankerchief, Mr. Handsome, hanky schpanks, stanky hanky (reserved for when I catch him rolling in poo), hankmeister, are-you-the-good-boy?-ARE-YOU-THE-GOOD-HANKIE? *usually accompanied by tail thumping*, president Hankie for when he's acting like a goodie 2 shoes....

Odie's list is probably triple that. So yeah. I ain't gonna judge!

I'm a sensible owner, my dogs are well behaved, as long as you treat the dog right you can refer to them as whatever you want IMO :D

Please tell me you sing to him "Hankiedoodle went to town, riding on a pony..."

when I was little, lots of people objected to calling children 'kids'.

'Fur babies' isn't part of my vocabulary, but I couldn't care less if others use the term. I call mine 'baby', 'puppy', 'girl' and 'kids' all the time, regardless of their ages. What's the difference?

With many of the public I work with, the "difference" is that what they call their dogs is a direct reflection of how they regard their dogs, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, so to speak. The more they call their dog "baby" or other derivative human-child term, the more they think - subconsciously or consciously - and therefore treat their dog as though it is just that.

The forum here may not think so, but then the forum here is full of people who have taken that extra step forward to join in and read up. There's a lot of people out there who don't, and don't realise.

My Mother calls my boy her "Grandpuppy", but he is definitely treated as a dog.

I think that is really sweet and shows her love.

I think so smile.gif

She asked me yesterday for more pictures of the growing grandpuppy too!

She misses our Sam, and I got Nova a few months after he passed and she was staying with me the week I got him, he definitely helped both of us with our grief embarrass.gif

I always refer to my two as my 'bubbas' as both endearment and when taking about the two of them together ('the bubbas and I are going for a walk' rather than 'I'm taking Zeus and Kirah for a walk'). Having said that, they are treated as dogs and I'm well aware they're canine, not babies.

I don't plan on having children myself, however, I certainly don't want my dogs to act, behave and be treated as babies/kids -- if I did, like others have said, I'd have kids of my own.