Am I The Only One?

Salukifan

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the westies are 'the babies' but I'm under no illusion they are anything other than my dogs. My mother calls them her 'grand puppies' and since she does such a brilliant job of doggy daycare to the point Sarah seriously doesn't want to leave, I'm certainly not going to comment or correct. Each to their own - but I draw the line at dressing them up or colouring their fur - I think they're beautiful dogs just the way they are. smile.gif

Well, they sleep in our bed at times, sit on the lounge sofa, sometimes I use my dinner plates to feed them, eat in the kitchen, have their inside water in 2 giant soup cups, get washed in our shower, use our pillows and cushions at their will, have their own jarmies in the coldest of winter, boss me around, try and get a toungie in when no one expects it coming, love to snuggle, have their own beds in almost every room, take us for a walk, bring me toys if they think I wanna play, go to the "hair dresser", the list is endless :laugh:

Until they learn to stack the dishwasher and vacuum THEN I'll call them kids :)

Edited by wire

Doesn't bother me , there are more important things in my life to get annoyed about than what other people call their animals, as long as they don't call mine unflattering names I really don't mind.. I love my guys as much as my children but treat them very differently..

I personally don't use the term but it doesn't annoy me when people do. To me it just is a name some people use as a term of endearment and a show of love... not sure how that is a bad thing or cause to be annoyed. For most people, pets are part of the family but I don't think this means most people treat them like humans.

Boy and Girl are terms usually associated with young humans, So where does one stop in making sure they do not apply any human terms of endearment - I say "goood boy" to my puppy all the time, this doesn't means I am humanising him. Don't think "goood female" or "goood bitch" sounds very nice (if my dog was a female) :D

I personally don't use the term but it doesn't annoy me when people do. To me it just is a name some people use as a term of endearment and a show of love... not sure how that is a bad thing or cause to be annoyed. For most people, pets are part of the family but I don't think this means most people treat them like humans.

Boy and Girl are terms usually associated with young humans, So where does one stop in making sure they do not apply any human terms of endearment - I say "goood boy" to my puppy all the time, this doesn't means I am humanising him. Don't think "goood female" or "goood bitch" sounds very nice (if my dog was a female) :D

Agree entirely...so I can't see why people would get annoyed with what other people call there dogs. They must have very small tolerance levels :laugh: I love my dogs as if they were my kids, so I can't see any problem with me calling them kids or being referred to a furkids in conversation so people don't think I am talking about my Human kids. :)

Well I just heard a local vet say on commercial radio that dogs are "just little people with fur". So I think I give up, understanding and valuing dogs for their own nature is a futile aim if even the professionals advise they are little people in fur coats. No wonder so many dogs have behavioural problems. Bring on the furbabies.

I dont care what an owner calls them - its only when someone assumes that their marketing calling them that to me is a good thing that annoys me.

LOL, Steve. Marketers will use any ploy they think will work.

Well I just heard a local vet say on commercial radio that dogs are "just little people with fur". So I think I give up, understanding and valuing dogs for their own nature is a futile aim if even the professionals advise they are little people in fur coats. No wonder so many dogs have behavioural problems. Bring on the furbabies.

I think you should tell us who that vet is so we can all write in protest. For a vet to say something like that ...... well it beggars belief really. It just goes to show so little undertstanding of what dog ownership (and I know there are people who object to that terminology as well :) :) ) entails and will add to even more problems with integrating dogs as dogs into a community.