Aussie Terriers?

kelpiecuddles

A friend was today asking me about my reccs for buying them a puppy/dog when they are settled in to a permanent home. I took them through the options regarding rescue/breeder and asked a fair few questions of what they are after. They are wanting small to medium size dog that will go for daily walks but also be happy to be a running companion for her husband when he jogs. Are Aussie's up to being a jogging companion? I was inclined to think they would be but having very little experience with the breed I didn't want to lead them totally astray. They are keen to go for a breed that is more robust with less known health issues which is why I thought of aussies plus she looked a little overwhelmed when I mentioned how much I'd paid for my basset and Aussies are at least on the lower end of the cost scale for a dog from a reputable breeder, she did understand why they were worth the money when I explained though so I don't think the cost turned her off, just gave her something else to think about. They have two young children also, the older a toddler interacts very nicely with my dog, younger is only ten months old.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Having grown up with only Aussies as pets they're a breed very close to my heart. I don't breed/show so the info I'm giving is based purely on ownership. Aussies are a very hardy and robust breed with very few known health issues -- I'd only ask about whether or not there is a history of luxating patella. They are a very cheerful and friendly terrier, however, owners must be willing to out their foot down; Aussies are unsuited to weak personalities. They must have a strong leader, much like any terrier for that matter, because Aussies can be known for being stubborn and too smart for their own good.

I find their most challenging aspect -- but one of the main reasons I love this breed so much -- is their attitude. Aussies are not fazed by much and have a gung-HO, tougher than nails 'tude, and they often think they're German Shep/Great Dane sized -- my own Kirah Little forgets she's only 6.4 kilos and quite often almost bites off more than she can chew!! The fact that they so often forget their size has the potential to land them in hot water -- usually regarding things like snakes or other poisonous/dangerous animals. Aussies also won't back down from a fight either -- even if they don't start it, they'll finish it.

Having said that, Aussies are a fantastic dog for families, provided they go to the right owners. I'm one of 5 kids and we always had an Aussie in the house, regardless of our age, but we were beyond blessed with Poochie. She was an EXCEPTIONAL dog and the most happy-go-lucky and cheerful girl in the world. Poochie loved company and playing with us kids so much that she taught herself how to climb the ladder up to our cubby (don't ask about getting down coz she just rolled down the rungs and shook herself off at the bottom!!) and was just happy being part of the family.

They aren't as high energy as a Jack Russell, but would suit being a running companion quite well I'd think -- although like any smaller dog, I'd be worried of something startling it, crossing my path and tripping over it either hurting the dog or myself.

Also, their coats do require hand-stripping too -- never clip an Aussie's cost. It's pretty easy to learn, especially if you're not planning to show as anything goes!

Hope I've helped answer some questions.

What about a schipperke? Very robust healthy breed, and will take as little or add much exercise you can throw at them. A few schips have their ET titles, and visit comes jogging with Rusty and I on our 7km runs. No doggy odor which is a big bonus, and little to no brushing required. They are not known as the "little black Devils" for nothing though, and require a consistent and patient owner who will set ground rules from day one and stick to them. Most amazing bed though especially if you're into big dogs but want our need to downsize :D

I agree, go the Border Terrier! They're built for running, are 'gorgeous' looking scruffers and apparently have less of a terrier nature than most. They do require coat stripping I think twice a year but I believe some pet owners clip instead.

Here's a clip showing how clever they can be:

And one showing a bit of their running capacity:

It doesn't really start until 1.10 if you want to skip forward. :D

An Aussie Terrier is on my 'wish list' of dogs to own, so hopefully I will share my life with one at some stage (right now I already have too many dogs). I went to the pound to look at some ACD's years ago and came home with an Aussie Terrier. I just fell in love instantly and couldn't leave him there. 'Kenny' was still chipped to his breeder but he couldn't take him back because of badly failing health. I found Kenny a fabulous home, but could have easily have kept him, he had a divine temperament. He was christened Kenny because when I walked in the door with him my Ex said "What the heck is that?" while he was watching South Park. I told him I couldn't let anyone kill Kenny :)

Can anyone share the approximate price for the breeds you have suggested? As you can imagine I'm the type that will spend whatever it takes to get the breed I want but I suspect they'll start to top out in terms of willingness to spend more at about $900. They want to spend the money to get a good healthy dog and will do all the necessary desexing, vaccs, other vet care etc but will look at breeds that are realistic for them in terms of price in order to have more to spend on other doggy needs.