Do You Bring Your Dog To Cafes?

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

Just wondering how many DOLers bring their dogs to cafes/coffee shops with them?

The area I live in is very dog friendly and most places have outdoor seating and allow dogs to sit outside with their owners.

I find most of the owners I come across are very sensible with their dogs - they lie down quietly and are generally very calm. There are only a couple I've come across who seem like they are better off leaving their dogs at home. I've encountered one lady in particular who brings her dog with her every day to the same coffee shop but the dog obviously hates being there, it spends it's time hiding between her legs and barking/lunging at other people & dogs.

Do you bring your dog with you to cafes or do you prefer to leave them at home? What is your opinion about owners bringing dogs with them to cafes/restaurants?

Edited by hankodie

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are quite big and don't tend to fit very well at cafes. Because of their size we would also have to take a bed with us for them to lay on, as it would be too uncomfortable for them otherwise.

I also only tend to go to a cafe if I've been shopping, and so I don't have them with me anyway.

But I don't mind having dogs at cafes, I think it can be quite a nice way to spend time with your dog :)

Obviously preferable if the dog is relaxed and well behaved.

I love seeing well behaved dogs out and about with their owners. We don't have many dog friendly cafes out here, but I do take my dogs out with me frequently. When I stop at the super market on my way home from work I often take Wiz out of the car and play with her at the shops to have some fun and proof her training in different environments.

A couple of nights ago I was training her at the shops and a man stopped to watch and said, "Sorry to interrupt you but I just have to say what you are doing with the dog is REALLY GREAT! I couldn't do that!" LOL :o :laugh:

When I was in Europe I loved how dog friendly it was and the dogs I saw were overall so much better behaved than dogs we have here. I am sure a large part of it is how dogs are welcome in more places and its common for people to take their dogs out with them.

D's only been to cafes a couple of times and usually after a walk with other dogs.

If he didn't get a walk beforehand he'd be full of beans and get impatient with just sitting around... although now he's older he might just watch us.

I go for a monthly brunch with my bestie and wouldn't bring him to those as outdoor seating is so limited we'd probably end up inside and then where would he go?

I don't mind if others dogs go and sit quietly - don't see it much in Canberra though

Guest hankodie

D's only been to cafes a couple of times and usually after a walk with other dogs.

If he didn't get a walk beforehand he'd be full of beans and get impatient with just sitting around... although now he's older he might just watch us.

It used to be the same with Hank when he was a wee pup but now that he's getting older I find he's much more patient and he enjoys chilling out under the table after a walk :D

Guest hankodie

We take ours sometimes, but the cafe we go to has an enclosed verandah area, so he's not in anyone's way when we're there. I think having an unhappy dog somewhere that there are a lot of people walking past is just mean...

I think so too! Hank is the sort of dog who can chill out while we have coffee, Odie on the other hand is a nightmare in that situation because everything excites her too much. I leave her at home if I plan on grabbing lunch after a walk, it's less stressful for the both of us!

A friend and I used to do it every couple of months with our greyhounds. We would take a mat each and the boys would just lay down quietly at our feet. They were best mates and very relaxed. Once my boy died we tried it with one of my others but it just wasn't the same. While we enjoyed our catch up it was done mainly to promote the greys and you didn't need a big dog fidgeting around.

Where we used to live we had a cafe around the corner and we would go there every weekend for breakfast with the dog accompanying us. He used to draw the staff from next door shops out to pat him and was always offered water too. I've also been to a couple of pubs with him, mainly when we have gone for a long city walk and I needed some refreshment. laugh.gif The best compliment so far has been "I didn't even realise there's been a dog there this whole time" from someone at the table next to ours.

Guest hankodie

I'm surprised to hear so many places aren't very dog friendly, are they not allowed even in places with outdoor seating? I always make it a point every time to ask if they are OK with dogs but I find that most of the time they welcome dogs and some places even bring out a bowl of water

I'm in a cafe area, but I find King St foot traffic and the roaring trucks/buses/cars only a few metres away too stressful for little dogs (and myself). Then you get the dogs walking past cornering other dogs under tables. I don't know. Just not my thing. I like a calm Latte, and getting a break from the dogs. :D

Guest hankodie

I'm in a cafe area, but I find King St foot traffic and the roaring trucks/buses/cars only a few metres away too stressful for little dogs (and myself). Then you get the dogs walking past cornering other dogs under tables. I don't know. Just not my thing. I like a calm Latte, and getting a break from the dogs. :D

Yep I'd be a bit nervous taking my dog for a coffee in super busy areas too PL! Especially if there were too many other dogs wanting to harass mine. The area I live in is pretty quiet and Hank is pretty happy to chill and let me have a calm latte :laugh:

We take ours sometimes, but the cafe we go to has an enclosed verandah area, so he's not in anyone's way when we're there. I think having an unhappy dog somewhere that there are a lot of people walking past is just mean...

I think so too! Hank is the sort of dog who can chill out while we have coffee, Odie on the other hand is a nightmare in that situation because everything excites her too much. I leave her at home if I plan on grabbing lunch after a walk, it's less stressful for the both of us!

We also have a frenchie and she use to get very excited when we took her out. I think now that she is older she is much better and use to it.

My OH and I generally have breakfast out on the weekend. but we have to go before a certain time to take Lucy otherwise its hard to get a table outside. If its too late then we generally don't bring her so it opens up our options of where we can sit. We are in a very dog friendly area.

We are more likely to take ours to one of our local pubs for dinner.....often it's on the way home from retrieving training but we also go on camping trips that revolve around eating out at wineries/cafes/breweries etc. I never assume dogs are welcome, always ask first and make sure we camp during "off peak" periods. Sometimes it's freezing cold but we all rug up and enjoy the peace and quiet. Zig is a big sook and has to have a soft bed so that's always factored into the equation and we keep them as low profile as possible because we get a bit tired of people wanting to pat them whilst we are trying to enjoy our meal. Or telling us that their loose dog wandering around amongst the tables is friendly...

Sometimes, if it's early enough, otherwise not, since people always want to stop and pat the two fluffy little dogs and the "chihuahuas" (Min Pins)... :laugh: Carl and Mischa will tolerate being patted by kids, but they don't like them and obviously aren't appreciative of rough handling, so I generally just keep them out of view. Jag will happily accept pats from anyone though. My bestie and I go regularly to a sushi bar with an outdoors area with her Jap Spitz and Carl, and they're always very accomodating :thumbsup:

Guest hankodie

We are more likely to take ours to one of our local pubs for dinner.....often it's on the way home from retrieving training but we also go on camping trips that revolve around eating out at wineries/cafes/breweries etc. I never assume dogs are welcome, always ask first and make sure we camp during "off peak" periods. Sometimes it's freezing cold but we all rug up and enjoy the peace and quiet. Zig is a big sook and has to have a soft bed so that's always factored into the equation and we keep them as low profile as possible because we get a bit tired of people wanting to pat them whilst we are trying to enjoy our meal. Or telling us that their loose dog wandering around amongst the tables is friendly...

Argh, this drives me nuts :mad especially because not everyone is going to like dogs coming up to them, it's a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

I also always make it a point to ask first before sitting down and avoid places where the outdoor seating is limited because i'd feel bad if Hank took up too much room.