Do You Bring Your Dog To Cafes?

Guest hanko

We usually take both the dogs.Always check they are dog friendly first,although our local ones know us now.It's strange that Jesse ,who earlier wa s quite reactive,is perfectly behaved at a cafe.Both sit under the table and don't murmur ,although if Jesse was on a walk and same people walked past ,he would bark.Never quite been able to work that out!I just have to watch that long collie nose is well away!! :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fairly recent Terri and hasn't been well publicised, personally I was willing to just take my chances and play dumb if I was approached about "Oh gosh, I didn't know that was the rules now, I'll know for next time..." I realise there's the chance they may be hard about it and give you a fine but I'd never put a muzzle on either of my girls so I'd rather take the small risk of a fine. Personally I don't think the ticket inspectors care and probably half of them don't even know the rule!

I think it's fairly recent Terri and hasn't been well publicised, personally I was willing to just take my chances and play dumb if I was approached about "Oh gosh, I didn't know that was the rules now, I'll know for next time..." I realise there's the chance they may be hard about it and give you a fine but I'd never put a muzzle on either of my girls so I'd rather take the small risk of a fine. Personally I don't think the ticket inspectors care and probably half of them don't even know the rule!

I was on a train in Melbourne with Max once, and kind of sort of wanted someone to try and tell me to put a muzzle on her just so I could do the "she doesn't have a nose, how do you suggest I do that?" conversation :laugh:

I was on a train in Melbourne with Max once, and kind of sort of wanted someone to try and tell me to put a muzzle on her just so I could do the "she doesn't have a nose, how do you suggest I do that?" conversation :laugh:

:rofl:

We don't take vinnie out on purpose however we walk along a lake with lots of eateries. We've had ice cream with him too. All the places that allow dogs to sit at the tables outside show it by having a water bowl out front.

I don't have problems with dogs at tables outside if they are well behaved. Never have done.

Unless its on a sign on the train or station, yeah I also think you could get out of a fine - it would be a bit unreasonable to expect people to read the metro website back to front. I just try and stay out of everyone's way and she doesn't make a peep so it's fine. Only catching the train since I'm not old enough to sit my driver's test and need to get around every now and then. I can see why they would want dogs to be muzzled though, trains can be pretty stressful for dogs unless you get them used to it, throw in lots of people, some who will not know how to act around dogs and a complacent owner who lets it roam all over the train and I can definitely see somebody getting bitten. But seeing how it is not an actively enforced rule, Didi is well-behaved and I'm very mindful of everyone else's comfort I don't see the need. If I get a fine I'll just stop catching the train - I don't want to muzzle a puppy who doesn't need one!

My two travel in the metro trains regularly. All dogs travelling on metro trains must be muzzled as per metro. But you do see a few unmuzzled dogs , train inspectors will use their discretion. Smaller dogs seem to get away with not wearing a muzzle. And we had had no negative feedback from other train users about our two. We also go to cafes regularly too without any issues.

We just had a trip to Victoria. Great coffee shop in Wangaratta welcomed our dog, and brought out a water bowl.

All but one cafe in Ballarat welcomed her, including the hotel on the lake, where we had a great lazy breakfast. The one that didn't was so apologetic and gave us takeaways, including cutlery, so we were very impressed with country Victoria.

I love taking a dog to a cafe, but we do expect a certain standard of behaviour from the dogs.

Yep I take my dogs AND small kids usually once a week for a walk around the lake and we stop for coffee. Its really nice and I have to say its been nice to find places like this while they grow to train them how to behave. I get some funny looks with my young GSD but he is easily transfixed by bacon and stays dead still till he gets the last piece :laugh:

Once apon a time you rarely saw dogs at cafes and I much prefer this. Its a lovely friendly feeling. Mind you the cafes I go to would not hesitate to ask someone to leave with their dog so most are very well behaved.

I don't eat at many cafes but when we walk on the Strand we often go to Gelatissimo and she always sits outside with me while I eat my gelato. I wonder if she's so well-behaved because she knows she gets to lick the container clean after I'm finished? :laugh: She always gets a lot of attention and loves being patted and fussed over - but then that's true when I have her out really any crowded public place, because of her size and breed.

Here is Maya terrorizing customers while waiting for me to come back outside ;)

20Months_Icecream_zpsd8548b0d.jpg

Also - I had NO idea dogs were permitted on trains in Victoria!! There goes my response to those who've asked me why Maya isn't coming to Melbourne with me in May... "I have to travel everywhere in Melbourne by train, Maya wouldn't be able to come!"

I would if I could! we don't have such things here, lots of places have outdoor areas but they are fully enclosed and cannot be accessed without walking through the building where dogs are never allowed, sidewalk cafe's and the

like do not exist here :(

we dont have trains here either so that one is moot lol, we have buses and cabs only for public transport, no dogs on buses and cabs you have to declare it when you order the cab and only a cabbie who is ok with dogs will come, tho some still discriminate, my friend had a cab pull up look at her am. staff and peel away yelling "no dogs" despite ordering a dog friendly cab..apparently "pitbull friendly" is something totally different.

Edited by cali

Why is having to muzzle your dog on trains such a big deal? Get a well fitted basket muzzle so the dog can open its mouth to pant. My dog wears a muzzle if I take him on a train. It's not his favourite thing, but he deals with it because I tell him to. And if a few random people are scared of the 'aggressive dog', I really don't care because I'm just following the rules. But I've never actually had anyone show outright fear of my dog on a train because of the muzzle.

Why is having to muzzle your dog on trains such a big deal? Get a well fitted basket muzzle so the dog can open its mouth to pant. My dog wears a muzzle if I take him on a train. It's not his favourite thing, but he deals with it because I tell him to. And if a few random people are scared of the 'aggressive dog', I really don't care because I'm just following the rules. But I've never actually had anyone show outright fear of my dog on a train because of the muzzle.

Where I live and catch the train there are a lot of people who for cultural reasons do not like dogs and maybe having my dog muzzle would put them more at ease or maybe it would make them anxious, I am not sure but I assume since she's big and black and muscular and most people aren't aware dogs have to be muzzled they would assume the worst. I have seen such people chew a severely epileptic man out for allowing his service lab to stand underneath a tram shelter while it was raining so I don't really want to risk verbal abuse for bringing a 'dangerous dog' on the train. I just don't like the idea of muzzling a 4 month old puppy who doesn't need one when it is a rule barely anyone follows. At the rate she's growing Id probably have to buy a lot of muzzles too.

Guest hankodie

Wow I didn't know the public transport laws in VIC were so much different. I think in NSW dogs are only allowed on ferries? But I've read they often turn people away who have dogs.

Wow I didn't know the public transport laws in VIC were so much different. I think in NSW dogs are only allowed on ferries? But I've read they often turn people away who have dogs.

That's a shame. I only use the train for convenience sake but I imagine there are a lot of people with pets who do not.own cars nor have friends or family to drive them in an emergency. It would never happen but it would be good if you could sit a test similar to therapy dogs to be approved for public transport and then pay for a membershipmembership/ticket for the pet which allows them on certain forms of public transport. Obviously buses and trams are no place for a large dog but it would get rid of the irresponsible and inconsiderate pet owners who would try to use public transport. I don't know about you but Id much rather share a train with even an annoying dog than a loud, abusive and rude junkie who smells like piss and cigarettes, demanding spare change off people whilst also fare evading....

When we are on the trains, we have had some people ask if the dogs bite as they are muzzled. We simply say these are metro train rules sometimes a little loudly so other people can also hear. We also have people pat them muzzled.

Just use the trains confidently, but if one already knows that dogs have to be muzzled whilst on the trains, I would definitely muzzle. It is not worth the fine or the embrassment. Irrespective of the different views on muzzling on the trains, metro rules are specific and ignorance will be no excuse.