Do You Bring Your Dog To Cafes?

Guest hanko

We do! Gus quite happily bundles up under the table waiting for dropped bacon.

He's pretty unflappable and laps up any attention he gets. We've never had a problem!

Rosie is another issue. She comes but would rather not chat to most people. She happily sits with her head on your lap and let's Gus lap up the lovin.

I quite enjoy it, they don't mind either!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to take my dogs to cafes because I lived in an area where there were plenty that were dog friendly. Now I don't do it so much (also because I can't afford to buy stuff at cafes!!) mostly because the cafes I would choose to go to don't allow dogs even in the outdoor areas. You have to tie your dog in an area away from you. There is no way that I'd be leaving my dogs in a situation where anyone could walk up to them, kids could run past them, other dogs could go up to them without me right beside them. I don't completely understand the logic of it as I think it creates a more dangerous situation than having the dogs sitting with the owners (even if they were to allocate specific tables dogs could sit at so as not ti interfere with workers etc). But I guess when the time comes that I have the money to eat out at cafes again then I will need to hunt some out that are my version of dog friendly!!

Guest hankodie

I used to take my dogs to cafes because I lived in an area where there were plenty that were dog friendly. Now I don't do it so much (also because I can't afford to buy stuff at cafes!!) mostly because the cafes I would choose to go to don't allow dogs even in the outdoor areas. You have to tie your dog in an area away from you. There is no way that I'd be leaving my dogs in a situation where anyone could walk up to them, kids could run past them, other dogs could go up to them without me right beside them. I don't completely understand the logic of it as I think it creates a more dangerous situation than having the dogs sitting with the owners (even if they were to allocate specific tables dogs could sit at so as not ti interfere with workers etc). But I guess when the time comes that I have the money to eat out at cafes again then I will need to hunt some out that are my version of dog friendly!!

I agree Miss Emma, I cannot stand when people do this. It's one thing to duck into a shop for 2 mins while your dog is in view - personally I would never do this but a lot of people do and I can understand doing this. But I was at the markets last month and someone had tethered their dog to a tree just outside the markets for more than a freaking hour. The guy at the stall where I buy my veggies from commented on it when I was making a purchase, then as we were leaving we passed by and the dog was still there! The stall holder had to bring it water because it was so hot and obviously stressed out. I didn't know what to do, when I left the stall holder was on the phone to try to get a hold of a council ranger.

I do not understand the logic of it either - dogs are usually perfectly welcome at markets, I brought mine along as did many other people. I don't know why the owner had to tether their poor dog to a tree when they could've just left it at home if it was that much of a bother?! Ugh.

We take ours, but only to a couple of cafes we already know are dog friendly and have a good set up for them. I always do at least one dogless trip first to scope them out. My favourite is Reef Point Cafe at Scarborough. They have loads of outdoor tables under the trees well away from anyone who might object. It is directly over the road from the dog beach, they have water in a big 5 gallon container and bowls, although we always take our own. The chef makes the dogs scrambled eggs with no salt or pepper for breakfast, we take food bowls too. It is a favourite Sunday morning outing. Swim and run at the beach, then big brekky under the trees looking at the boats and the Glasshouse Mountains across the bay. I really hope they continue to allow it, there are usually quite a few dogs, I have never seen any drama, they stay under/beside the table and don't bother anyone. The dogs love it and usually get a few pats.

I am more disturbed by the recent proliferation of portly 50+ gentlemen who seem to believe it is imperative to wear a full suit of lycra, to ride a mountain bike a kilometre along a cement seaside path; so they can flop around in the cafe for a couple of hours. Quite put me off my sausage.

The other place we are about to try, having been twice without the dogs to check it out and make sure it is dog friendly is the boat club at Shorncliffe, they make an awesome breakfast and have a huge outdoor area, again water provided for the dogs and they said as long as the dogs were well behaved - no problem. Lots of the boaties who stop by on long trips have dogs with them and we saw a gorgeous Afghan puppy and a couple of other "regulars" today. They were all well behaved and the dogs can have a swim off the dock.

Guest hankodie

I am more disturbed by the recent proliferation of portly 50+ gentlemen who seem to believe it is imperative to wear a full suit of lycra, to ride a mountain bike a kilometre along a cement seaside path; so they can flop around in the cafe for a couple of hours. Quite put me off my sausage.

:rofl::rofl:

we have those here too coogie. I call them the spandex brigade :laugh:

Ah yes, the Mamils. Middle aged men in lycra.

Although to be fair we have a lot of quite serious cyclists around here, and at least they are exercising..

Friends in Melb take their pup to 'school' ..and they have cafe classes! Pups of all shapes & colours sitting & enjoying the outdoor ambience with their owners- everyone learning how be accepted and well behaved :) What a GREAT idea- not heard of it before ...

Clancy and Connor, being Grey Nomad dogs (it's me that qualifies as a GN, not them) are well used to being cafe dogs, they see it as their civic duty to clean up all those unsightly crumbs left under the table or to lay quietly at my side in case I should drop a morsel of something scrumptious, they often talk about these outings with other travelling GN dogs on their blogs....!

They were rather taken with the idea of actually going to school to learn all this....they thought it just came natural!

annie

We have them too, but I'm so used to them now I don't even notice! I was meeting clients at a cafe today and they thought there was some sort of event happening because the tables were full of lycra-clad cyclists. Nope, just a regular Sunday here :laugh: