Sending A Dog 26kg To Tasmania

underfoot

Hi,

Looking at sending a 25kg bitch to Tasmania for mating and was weighing up options. Is it cheaper to fly, fly as excess baggage or to go on the Spirit of Tasmania with her? Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'd also look at getting chilled semen (or the dog) sent to you instead...................I may be out of touch but don't believe dogs go as excess baggage on planes, thought they went as themselves and you paid the going rate...............not all flights take dogs and, to Tassie, finding a flight at a fare you are prepared to pay and taking the bitch, is an issue........especially as it will be at short notice for a mating, you can't plan for that months ahead................we once had a dog booking cancelled because a body would be on the flight!!

If flying way cheaper as excess unless of course your ticket for the time you want costs a fortune to.

For my 38 kg dogs plus the crate i pay around $275 each way .

Never had issues with the dogs being cancelled if something required that & it has happened once new arrangements where sorted & no drama at all .

Hi, Something to consider when sending your dog to Tassie is the fact that they have to have been treated for hydatid tapeworm before they arrive in the state. You need to produce documentation for it or they can't enter. 'Something to consider.

A friend of mine in NSW has just had her bitch inseminated today with semen that was collected here in Adelaide just over a week ago, the semen was very viable at time of insemination, longer life span for semen than chilled.

This is apparently a new way of transporting semen now. The sperm is stored in an extender and part of the yolk of a freshly laid egg, the life span is ten days not the usual 48 hours of chilled semen.

Her vet told her where to purchase the kit which contains everything needed except the egg yolk of course, once the dog here in Adelaide was collected twice, a day apart, it was shipped off to Newcastle for the cost of $98.

Saves the worry of how the bitch travels to and from and after what I read in the paper today of a dog dying on the tarmac in Sydney in the last week, ongoing plane was delayed four hours and the dog was not taken back to a cool place, I would say that this is the way to go.

Hi Underfoot,

If you would like to know where to get the kit and who my friend used for transport to have this new way of shipping sperm in fresh egg yolk, let me know and I will find out for you.

Having the life span of the sperm done this way, ten days, in the egg yolk and extender rather than just the sperm chilled and put into the extender which only lasts for around 48 hours, it would not be so much a rush for all concerned, my friend once her bitch was a couple of days into her season and a prog test done, we had ample time for the collection and saves the worry of your bitch travelling by plane with the risks attached to that, also when I have visiting bitches here they are always kept for three or four days after the last mating so as stress on the flight does not affect the mating.

PM me if you like.