Buying Pet Meds From Overseas

Stefie

Hi all!

I am just wondering if anyone had any issues lately with buying any pet meds from overseas.

I have done so several times in the past without any problems.

Now I had found a new website where they were selling my preferred tick spot-on a fair bit cheaper. I ordered but then got a message with a cancellation of my order saying that Australian customs have imposed a general blockage on all pet meds sent to Australia!

I can not find anything on the Oz customs website saying this and not with a general search either.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Or might it be just this seller being overly cautious?

Thanks for any input!

Thanks minimax!

If I read that document correctly then a medication can be imported as long as it is registered with the APVMA.

I have checked their website and the spot-on that I am trying to buy is indeed listed and totally legal, doesn't require a prescription either.

Be that as it may, the seller claims that there is a general ban on all pet medications to come into Australia. I find that very hard to believe!

Thanks minimax!

If I read that document correctly then a medication can be imported as long as it is registered with the APVMA.

I have checked their website and the spot-on that I am trying to buy is indeed listed and totally legal, doesn't require a prescription either.

Be that as it may, the seller claims that there is a general ban on all pet medications to come into Australia. I find that very hard to believe!

If coming from overseas, would it have the required Australian registration number on it that the document mentions?

Maybe this is the part the company is referring to

The APVMA does not issue consent to import overseas versions of products that are registered and available within

Australia

Overseas sellers are acting illegally if they attempt to import pet meds to Australia. Do not order pet meds from anywhere outside of Australia. They will be seized and they are NOT registered for use in Australia.

Sorry but this is not true I have been buying medication for one of my dogs from California pet pharmacy for about three years. Have not had a problem

Yes, I know of a fair few who are doing it and I have done so myself.

It's so easy! If there was a serious ban on importing meds then it would be no problem for customs to track the sellers down and fine them. Many of them are openly advertising that they ship world wide. Could they really do that if it was illegal?!

Yes it's basically matter of luck if it makes it through customs or not ...

Customs tend to just seize and give the importer (you) a warning first....if you keep doing it I believe they can fine you.