Your First Dog?

Kirislin

Oh Leah he is gorgeous! What a handsome face! :)

thanks DD :) we loved him even if the vet did laugh at him every time we brought him in :p

Edit: I just remembered this photo, here's me the last time I had a puppy :laugh:

BD30A98D-F598-402C-A8FF-E39BA6867AB7_zpsszyobze5.jpg

Edited by Leah82

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always had dogs around when I was a kid, but the one I considered mine was Poppy. She was a bit of a Christmas gift for the whole family, but really my girl! I think I was 10 when we got her. I used to spend hours and hours training and walking her, and she introduced me to agility and taught me to think outside the square when it comes to training (she was a very nervous dog that wouldn't play or take treats in public, but ran well for me on course and never ran off when I let her off lead!). Poppy loved dress ups, and my sister and I would pick her all sorts of pretty outfits for her, then we would all rush outside to show mum and dad... Poppy would be all bum wiggles and bouncy joy while everyone fussed over her! She was a loopy girl too, once jumping through a closed window to get outside to play ball with us, luckily didn't have a scratch on her! She died at 8 years old, far too young, like most Dobes :cry:

361_1051879730928_9341_n.jpg

361_1051879770929_9598_n.jpg

As I said earlier, Elsie is my first dog that I have had as an adult. She is amazing!

1924444_10202589904882523_1190665109_n.jpg

Emma was my first dog. These photos are the day I brought her home. She turned 9 years old about 1 week after she came home with me and I had her for 3.5 years. She was the best dog ever. She made me love dogs and all the things I do with dogs. She made me want to learn everything I could about training. She made me fall in love with BC's. And she showed me how dogs make your life just a little bit better. I miss her so much, but I love my 2 dearly and it is funny how I see bits of her in Hamish (her Dad is his great grand-dad!!).

post-34437-0-32203500-1393492509_thumb.jpg

post-34437-0-29468700-1393492522_thumb.jpg

Mine was a beautiful Rottie girl called Raven who I got with my ex in 1991 when we bought our house. She was my constant shadow. I lost her at just over 3 years old to cancer and will never forget the day I took her to the hospital to be operated on, she broke away from the vet nurse and tried to follow me back outside to the car. She was put to sleep on the operating table as the tumour was inoperable and I never got to be with her when she left. I thought they would be able to cut it out and I would have more time with her. I clearly remember the phone call from them and me begging them for a way to wake her so I could get there and be with her one last time to say goodbye. I had her cremated and she is still with me in her urn - she will be going with me when I go, she won't be left behind ever again. I've never been able to even think about getting another Rottie after her and it wasn't until 2 years after I lost her that I could face having another dog. I then went and bought a gorgeous Bullmastiff, Dozer who I had for 9 years. Ive now got Hoover who'll be 9 this year, Crumpet who'll be 6 and Shabby who'll be 9 as well. I've loved all the dogs I've had on my own and when I was younger with my family but there was something special about my lovely Rottie girl that I can't explain.

My first dog was Max, a boxer bred by friends. They told my parents they could have a pup, I was only about 2 and they sat me down with the litter and let me choose one. I chose the pick of the litter :laugh: we had him till he was 11, he was pretty awesome :)

Oh, do you have any photos of Max Aussie3? :)

We had a BC X kelpie when I was growing up.

Bruno is my first dog as an adult though, and is my kids' first family dog. We love him to bits. A Boxer was a good choice for us. :D

1970408_10152077234849682_212117017_n.jpg

I found this one of him when I chose him :) I do have others I'll have a look. I think after looking at this picture I was less than 2 aswell! :laugh:

Sorry pic is old and blurry!

post-25556-0-78123300-1393495476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aussie3

Atlas was my first. A tri colour bull terrier.

Loved Atlas! Still laugh that I thought he was a girl and made him pink trimmed PJ's :laugh:

Razz was my first 'my' dog. She's been gone 6 years, I still think of her often and know she'd roll her eyes at the antics of the two I have now :)

post-29762-0-72485100-1393500505_thumb.jpg

Anzac- i got him when i was 7 years old :) It took forever to convince my parents to buy me a puppy. After i learnt every dog out of the dog breed book they gave me, became a walking encyclopaedia and pointed out dog breeds on the street they gave in :laugh:

I chose him out of his litter when he was only a week old. I just knew he was the right one.

And i was right :)

Sadly he passed away very suddenly when i was 13/14 of a suspected heart attack or stroke. He was at my feet at the time, i was so heartbroken i swore i wasn't going to get another dog for years. But then my life just felt empty without one. So along came Kokoda. Then Deniki.

I kept in the ANZAC theme :)

post-42249-0-69360100-1393500573_thumb.jpg

My first dog was Max, a boxer bred by friends. They told my parents they could have a pup, I was only about 2 and they sat me down with the litter and let me choose one. I chose the pick of the litter :laugh: we had him till he was 11, he was pretty awesome :)

Oh, do you have any photos of Max Aussie3? :)

We had a BC X kelpie when I was growing up.

Bruno is my first dog as an adult though, and is my kids' first family dog. We love him to bits. A Boxer was a good choice for us. :D

1970408_10152077234849682_212117017_n.jpg

I found this one of him when I chose him :) I do have others I'll have a look. I think after looking at this picture I was less than 2 aswell! :laugh:

Sorry pic is old and blurry!

Haha, yes you look younger than 2. That's a sweet photo of you and little Max. :)

My first dog was Lilly, the mixed bred. She was a 'family' dog but I used to walk and feed her, go with my parents to all her vet appointments, train her (we used to play agility in the back yard), brush her etc.

I had her for 12 years and she was there for a lot of my important moments. I was also with her comforting her at the end when her arthritis meant her quality of life was gone. :(

img_0006_med_med.jpeg

My first own dog came along when I was 16, at that stage I needed something worthwhile in my life.

Taran was a Doberman bred by my mums horrible boss, mum brought her home when she was 11 weeks old, she was the most timid puppy I had ever met.

She was from a litter of 11-12 pups and the mother killed all but 3, the others were abused badly. Her sister had her leg broken and Taran had been kicked in the head which was all swollen.

At first we didn't bond at all but within a few days she had become my shadow and constant companion.

I had left school so we spent our days together at the beach, park and trips into the city.

She grew into a stunning girl but became so over protective of me even my parents couldn't get close. I did traing at home with a professional behaviourist but she started to fence jump if I left her at home, which was quite dangerous because she was so aggressive.

I have never got over being made to give her up and it's been a very long time, definitely a wound that will never heal but she taught me so much and gave me a reason to live.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

My first dog was a short haired German Shepard called Prince, I was about 8 or 9 and my dad bought it for the family as he was working down on the Snowy Mountain Scheme I will never forget her. Later as an adult I got a long haired Shepard called Reba. Now I have Abby a miniature schnauzer who is the love of my life, who fits into our lifestyle and home perfectly.

Brandi, my first dog ever by two weeks. Paige followed soon afterwards and I can't imagine my life without them. Brandi was never good enough to race, but has more love in her body than she knows what to do with. She sits beautifully, works as a therapy dog and keeps me warm at night!

image_zpsb07dceba.jpg

Edited by Brandiandwe

My first dog was a daccie called Penny when I was about 4 years old. My father hated animals and Penny "ran away" according to the old man when I was about 6 :( I loved her she was the sweetest little dog.

I had a very similar experience in my early teens. 'Surprise Surprise' something else we have in common HazyWal.

My very first puppy of my own I got from school in year 8 off a friend who's mini foxy girl had puppies. I carried her home in my uniform pocket, she was tiny & I doubt she was even 6 weeks old. I called her Polly. Loved her to bits. Although my dad was a dog lover he was raised very 'old school'. So he was very hard at times. He didn't tolerate dogs that chased the horses we breed. I had had darling Polly for quite a few months when I came home from school one day dad told me Polly had 'run away ' :( Not so long after that I found Polly's little pink collar I had saved up my hard earned pocket money to buy her on top of the fridge in the kitchen.... :(

I asked dad how Polly's collar came to be there & he said, " she kept chasing the horses, thought she was fast but she wasn't fast enough to outrun the pea riffle". I cried myself to sleep for many nights after that & it has stayed with me all these years.

Don't mean to put a downer on this thread as I am enjoying hearing & seeing everybodies different stories :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Brandi, my first dog ever by two weeks. Paige followed soon afterwards and I can't imagine my life without them. Brandi was never good enough to race, but has more love in her body than she knows what to do with. She sits beautifully, works as a therapy dog and keeps me warm at night!

image_zpsb07dceba.jpg

Did I meet you and Brandi at Pet Expo at Rosehill? If so, I'll agree, Brandi is the lovliest girl...

T.

My first very own dog (not the family dog or when I lived at home where we always had dogs, mainly due to me LOL) was a brindle staffy cross called Flea. :)

In a breakup my boyfriend was the one who took her which I guess happens a lot and it broke my heart but you have to do the best for the dog even when things have gone to crap. He was the better choice for her and in hindsight I did the right thing despite the guilt.

She lived to a ripe old age and he used to take her down to Robe SA for beach holidays which she loved.

Since then I've been a small dog and Silky person except for English Pointers and the very occasional large black & tan which I seem to have a thing about rescuing. :o

:walkdog:

Edited by Powerlegs

My first dog was a daccie called Penny when I was about 4 years old. My father hated animals and Penny "ran away" according to the old man when I was about 6 :( I loved her she was the sweetest little dog.

I had a very similar experience in my early teens. 'Surprise Surprise' something else we have in common HazyWal.

My very first puppy of my own I got from school in year 8 off a friend who's mini foxy girl had puppies. I carried her home in my uniform pocket, she was tiny & I doubt she was even 6 weeks old. I called her Polly. Loved her to bits. Although my dad was a dog lover he was raised very 'old school'. So he was very hard at times. He didn't tolerate dogs that chased the horses we breed. I had had darling Polly for quite a few months when I came home from school one day dad told me Polly had 'run away ' :( Not so long after that I found Polly's little pink collar I had saved up my hard earned pocket money to buy her on top of the fridge in the kitchen.... :(

I asked dad how Polly's collar came to be there & he said, " she kept chasing the horses, thought she was fast but she wasn't fast enough to outrun the pea riffle". I cried myself to sleep for many nights after that & it has stayed with me all these years.

Don't mean to put a downer on this thread as I am enjoying hearing & seeing everybodies different stories :)

Yes it's uncanny isn't it? I didn't find out about Penny until the old man "ran away" when I was 10 and Mum told me as a teen. You're not bringing the thread down, we just have a different story to tell albeit not a nice one :hug:

Look at us now...crazy dog ladies :)

image_zpsb07dceba.jpg

Did I meet you and Brandi at Pet Expo at Rosehill? If so, I'll agree, Brandi is the lovliest girl...

T.

No. I was at Pet Expo but Boo wasn't. But it's very easy to fall in love with greyhounds.

the first dog that was 'mine' was a FTGH bully x ex pig hunting dog called Salty when I was about 16. I had been desperately wanting (and saving) for a pup - but my mother would only agree to having an adult dog join the household, not a puppy. His owner brought him over to 'let us meet him', but left him with us on that first meeting (I guess he just wanted to find him a loving home and didn't want to leave him with just anyone). Darwin being a relatively small town after a year or two I found that I knew people that were extended family of the original owner - this enabled me to learn the stories behind Salty's various scars (he was a heavily scarred dog) over his life he had been hit by a ute, fallen off a ute, gored by a buffalo, suffered throat injuries from a pig and (by being the one closest to shore) seen his brother taken by a croc. He was a wonderful dog, very protective of all his family (humans, dogs and cats) - but he did not approve when I first started dating my OH, he would always try to sit between us like a furry chaperone. He was a very special boy and I still miss him after all these years.

I got my first dog at 5ish. Kia and she was a Puli X. LOVED her! I had come home and asked mum if I could have a puppy. She was busy chatting with friends so said sure thinking one day. I walked back up to the house giving away puppies and told them yep mum said yes. :laugh: So she was always my dog and I had to do most of the care.

When I was 16 I was given Akayla from my dad a Czech Shepherd. Another amazing dog but I had to share care of her in the end as my mum became so attached to her. When I left home she would make it about 24 hrs before asking when Akayla could come back. I still did all the vet app. and clipping ect but she kept my mum safe too. She was the first dog I was financially responsible for.

I missed having a dog who lived with me 24/7 so that's when I bought my first dog Lakota. First show dog too :) Miss her terribly. She was 100% mine. Of course she was a GSD which I was not allowed to own at home :)

So I guess it depends on what you mean by first dog.

The first dog in my life was Cherry a Tibetan Spaniel cross we got when I was 10. I begged my mum for years to get a dog!

cherryjumper-1.jpg

Mum hoped my dog obsession was a phase. But alas it was a phase I wouldn't grow out of! Cherry is now 16 and lives with my family.

Daisy was the first dog I got as an adult (I was 18 and just started UNI) but as I was living at home I had to "con" my mum into letting me have another dog so it had to be a breed we agreed on and was actually going to be her dog.

However daisy is mine and stayed with me when I moved out. She was also the dog that got me into training and dog sports!

DaisyMetroTrial.jpg

(Her and mine first obedience trial trophy)

Now I live on my own and I didn't have to compromise with the next dog. I am very lucky to handle the dog of my dreams, a Malinois :love:

image_zpsdca3b620.jpg