When Do You Have "too Many" Dogs?

wings

What for you decides your dog numbers? When does it become too many?

I have a mini dachie who is soon to be joined by another one plus a slightly older whippet and a few friends/family are worried that I'm about to become the crazy dog lady :laugh: So just interested to see where people drew the line on how many dogs to have in the family.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my household we have 4 kelpies (Ages 13, 11, 10 and 3) and a mini foxie x Chihuahua (10 weeks old). We did have 5 kelpies until just before Christmas when I had to say goodbye to Serenity-Jayne. I swore no more dogs but Muppet came along and stole my heart. Poor baby was going to be dumped at the pound if no one took him :(

Two is probably my current limit, purely because of the size of house and backyard we have (500sqm block) and because I love to have them inside the house with me (too much mess with more) and I like to be able to easily take them out with me (smallish car = more than two dogs? No thanks!).

If I end up moving out of the suburbs however... I could definitely see myself have 4 or so dogs.

All good points, thanks :thumbsup:

Do you think the size of the dogs can make a difference? I've been looking after a friend's rottie (who I do adore) but I do often think I could have about 5 mini dachies to 1 rottie and no one would notice the difference.

I like 4 as a number. But would love one more to start training and competing with. Aiming for about 18 months to 2 years before that will happen though.

Edited to fix my bad post cause I didn't read the op properly.

I think too many dogs is when there isn't enough time for each individual.

When the expense becomes too much.

The dogs don't happily coincide together.

There isn't enough room in the car for all of them.

Juggling them all is a chore instead of a pleasure.

I think size and breed make a big difference. I grew up with large dogs and having two in the house was often a nuisance but I can have three or four small dogs without a problem, mainly because they don't cause anywhere near the amount of destruction.

Also small dogs are cheaper for everything and they take up a lot less space.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

It is too many for me when they don't get on, I can't easily fit them all in the car at once, or I am breaking the law to have them. Currently I have 2, which is too few. For me to increase happiness, just add Borzoi.

I definitely think the type of dog you have makes a huge difference.

I had three dogs for years and didn't find it difficult, in fact I could have and intended to add more.

However now I just have two, and I am really happy with that number. Living with a working line Malinois requires a bit of a life style change as a dog like that does require a higher level of management than the average pet dog, I also put a lot of time into her for training (I wanted a dog that required that much commitment and time). If she was the only dog I had, I wouldn't have any desire to add another and would be more than happy living with one dog. However if I just had Daisy my beagle, I would want another working dog as it is so addictive to work and play and train a dog with that much drive.

We have double figure & coated breeds but i think it comes down to what your willing to sacrifice & commit too & whether you are able to house the dogs if things go pear shape with larger numbers & you are able to nothave favs & work with all ages & needs equally .

But it also comes down to council regs ,like mentioned car size && whether the whole family is on board to also willing to put themselves out.

Above all the dogs already at home need to be considered as to whether they are happy for new additions or not after all they make or break the dynamics

Yes, I think the size, and temperament (even though you didn't ask about that) would make a huge difference. Especially if you walk them. If you had a reactive dog you couldn't manage a whole hoarde of them.

Totally agree with you Kirislin :)

I have 2 BC's. My male is just a wonderful, lay back, lovingly, healthy boy & I could easily manage 4 of him without a drama but my girl is Epilepsy effected as well as being very reactive & extremely noise phobic. I adore her but there is no way I could cope with 2 of her. Not a chance....

So it definitely depends on temp. of your pack & to I think it is very important that each dog that you own has quality attention & time spent with you each day. Apart from the basic's like exercise/food/vet care.

Guest hankodie

I think it depends on the type of dog, as Huski said. I currently have 2 and they are quite young (2 and 8 months). Because of Odie's reactivity issues on walks I don't think adding another dog would be a good idea at this point in time. Even though she's little she requires x10 the amount of training, time and management that Hank does, plus she has the health issues of 10 normal dogs put together. Their dynamic is so perfect too, if we did add to it then I would have to consider it very very carefully.

Having said that I would love to add an older retriever to the family one day :love: I think I'm done raising puppies for a while but I can definitely see myself adopting an older dog or two when the time is right.

I work from home and spend heaps of time with the dogs so it's definitely tempting to try to convince myself that I could take on one more :laugh:

Guest hankodie

Yes, I think the size, and temperament (even though you didn't ask about that) would make a huge difference. Especially if you walk them. If you had a reactive dog you couldn't manage a whole hoarde of them.

Totally agree with you Kirislin :)

I have 2 BC's. My male is just a wonderful, lay back, lovingly, healthy boy & I could easily manage 4 of him without a drama but my girl is Epilepsy effected as well as being very reactive & extremely noise phobic. I adore her but there is no way I could cope with 2 of her. Not a chance....

So it definitely depends on temp. of your pack & to I think it is very important that each dog that you own has quality attention & time spent with you each day. Apart from the basic's like exercise/food/vet care.

Snap, didn't see Kirislin's reply. I definitely agree with all of the above. I could manage owning 10 Hanks. Even though he's big and hairy he is quite an easy dog. 10 Odies on the other hand? The thought alone nearly gives me a heart attack :laugh:

We have 4 here, but considering that only two of them are "my" dogs, I don't think that's too many for us. Plus they're all 10kg or under, and two of them are 3kg :laugh: I find my 2 easy to manage, they're both low fuss and not demanding of time at all. Neither of them needs a lot of work with regards to training, just walking keeps them from bouncing off the walls now that they're older. I can't imagine 5, feeding time here with the dogs plus the cat AND the bird (who counts for 6 dogs!!) is too overwhelming!