When Do You Have "too Many" Dogs?

wings

Yes I am really excited thanks HW. Bit nervous about it all but it's just adeniline I think. We have our home on the market. Once that sells we are all systems GO !!!!!! We haven't got an actual plan for our travels, we are just going :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I am really excited thanks HW. Bit nervous about it all but it's just adeniline I think. We have our home on the market. Once that sells we are all systems GO !!!!!! We haven't got an actual plan for our travels, we are just going :)

That's the best way to do it, just pack up and go! I have friends doing the same thing at the moment, rented out their house, hitched up the van and off they went. They've been in Darwin for 6 months now as they love it :)

Sorry to go OT wings.

Edited by HazyWal

That's the best way to do it, just pack up and go! I have friends doing the same thing at the moment, rented out their house, hitched up the van and off they went. They've been in Darwin for 6 months now as they love it :)

Sorry to go OT wings.

I never mind going OT, some of the best things I've learned happened that way.... even if they didn't have anything to do with the topic :laugh:

Yes, I think the size, and temperament (even though you didn't ask about that) would make a huge difference. Especially if you walk them. If you had a reactive dog you couldn't manage a whole hoarde of them.

Totally agree with you Kirislin :)

I have 2 BC's. My male is just a wonderful, lay back, lovingly, healthy boy & I could easily manage 4 of him without a drama but my girl is Epilepsy effected as well as being very reactive & extremely noise phobic. I adore her but there is no way I could cope with 2 of her. Not a chance....

So it definitely depends on temp. of your pack & to I think it is very important that each dog that you own has quality attention & time spent with you each day. Apart from the basic's like exercise/food/vet care.

Snap, didn't see Kirislin's reply. I definitely agree with all of the above. I could manage owning 10 Hanks. Even though he's big and hairy he is quite an easy dog. 10 Odies on the other hand? The thought alone nearly gives me a heart attack :laugh:

Absolutely! 10 x gus would be a dream, 10 x Rosie and I might just end it all....haha.

depends entirely on the person! I have 6 dogs, I like that number, I dont think I could handle more then that long term, my mom has 2 dogs so we have 8 in the house, short term I have no issues handling her dogs as well but I couldn't feasibly handle 8 all the time. my 6 dogs are all high drive working types medium to large in sizes and all live in my house, I don't have an issue keeping up with that, but my life revolves around animals, the only "hanging out" I do is with my dogs, hanging out with people includes walking our dogs together, I work with dogs and my gang comes with me etc.. I'm not hard done by or tied to my dogs, its just my personality. not everyone is going to be like that, lots of people have lives outside of their dogs, in which case 6 high drive working dogs are probably too many lol

It totally depends on breed.

One husky is more than enough for me, and when she's gone that's it for sibes.

I could easily handle 4-5 bullarabs for one husky.

I've got two and would like a third for now ( while renting) So that when one comes out the others have company.

Id eventually like property so I can run a bigger sled dog team.

The logistics of running 2 single dog teams isn't going to work for me.

Hi,

We have 3 dogs at the moment but we would happily have 4, 5, 6, 7 or more if it were legal and we thought we could look after them properly and give them the attention and care that they require. We have Lulu (the feral 14 year old shih tsu/silkie/Maltese/hyaena cross), Hobbes (the 13 year old American pit bull terrier), and Lizzie (the 11 year old cream kelpie/corgi/dingo/ferret cross).

Our dogs are all rescues, and they are getting old. Our next dogs will also all be rescues.

As long as you are sure that you can properly look after your dogs and give them everything they need, then it should not matter how many you have. Calgary, Canada (which has about the most progressive dog legislation in the world) does not put a limit on how many dogs you can own. As long as you are doing the right thing by your dogs, you can have as many as you like. I fear that in Australia this possibly would not work. The thing about the Calgary legislation is that you must be doing the right thing by your dogs. I think that this is where some Australians might fall down.

ricey

I think it's less about "how many" and more about what you do with them :)

I do a lot of sports with my dogs and I know that if I had more than a couple in training at once, I wouldn't have time to do the number of sports I do :) If I just did basic pet obedience and not so many sports, I could have more. I like being able to have a lot of one on one time with my two though :) I would happily get a third dog now that Zero is getting older and is pretty much retired from sports but I waited 2.5 years for Veikko so I think I will wait at least that long for the next puppy to come along :)

I was reminded of this thread as I washed the deck this morning - has been raining off and on for days now and some of my dogs are too delicate to get their feet wet :D :D and wee on the deck - large and open luckily.

I recalled a woman I knew some years ago who defintiely had too many dogs - about 12 or more the last time I saw her. They were separated into groups and contained in various rooms of the house and a couple of times a day, she'd "rotate" them all to give them a little time outside.

The majority of them weren't house trained and she kept a bucket of water with a mop and each time there was a wee, she'd mop it up ......... and put the mop back into the bucket.

Definitely a case of too many dogs there. :(

I've got two and would like a third for now ( while renting) So that when one comes out the others have company.

May I ask why you don't want anymore sibes after Esky has gone out of interest? Is it the grooming or are they difficult to manage temp wise or something. I know nothing about the breed. Cause Esky is to die for :love:

Such a beautiful looking dog.... :)

Two is definitely my limit. I really can't imagine having more than that.

Next time I would like to go back to having one. However I do really love the fact that they get along well and enjoy each others' company. I will definitely miss that if/when we go to having one.

Having said that, two Digby's would be ok. he is very easy and laid back. Two Del's would be very exhausting, although, if I did have two Del's they would play for hours and hours every day and make each other very happy. There would also be many more happy tail whippings and we would never go a minute without being told how much we're loved. It would be crazy :laugh:

May I ask why you don't want anymore sibes after Esky has gone out of interest? Is it the grooming or are they difficult to manage temp wise or something. I know nothing about the breed. Cause Esky is to die for :love:

Such a beautiful looking dog.... :)

:laugh: Cause my partner haaates them.. He likes Esky of course but really really dislikes the breed. They aren't for everyone that's for sure.

Plus we'll never get another Esky. The long coat that she has ins't common at all :)