Visiting Dogs In Quarantine

Airedaler

Are you still able to visit a dog you have imported while it is in quarantine at Spotswood?

When we last brought a dog in I was allowed in every day - I think that was because they were not very busy but I have been told by someone (whose reliability I question) that you are not allowed to visit any more.

Someone on FB asked them and they were told $80 per half hour to groom and yes it was to have a staff member stand there and watch you. At this stage I don't know if it is true or not.

If you look at the link whippytails posted it does state that arrangement may be made to go and groom under the supervision of a staff member but did not mention the cost.

Someone on FB asked them and they were told $80 per half hour to groom and yes it was to have a staff member stand there and watch you. At this stage I don't know if it is true or not.

If you look at the link whippytails posted it does state that arrangement may be made to go and groom under the supervision of a staff member but did not mention the cost.

I know and I still don't know if the cost is true or not.

• 2 weeks later...

As my long-haired dog has to be there for longer than the basic 10 days, I have been allowed grooming visits - at $80 for half an hour. This is not to bath him, but to sit in his run and brush him. I have not been supervised while I do this, though maybe if you do use their bathing facilities you would be supervised.

You can't just call up and book a grooming visit; you have to email quarantine - mine is the Sydney one - stating your case (eg long-haired breed), and await a response. Twice I have had to make a follow-up phone call up days later for an answer, though my latest email (sent yesterday) was answered this morning without the need for a follow-up call.

It strikes me a a total rort, given people were allowed to visit up to 4 times a week for free previously - but if you want to see your dog, bond with him and try and stay on top of the knots, you really have no choice.

actually you were only allowed to visit 2 times a week - having just had a cat in quarantine last year, know the drill. You are right about the for free bit though. Why the longer time though just because the hair is longer??? :confused:

• 5 months later...

I have been emailing my local federal politician about the no visiting policy.

Why not email your local federal representative and also Kevin Hogan [email protected] (member for Page, northern NSW)

Kevin is a National, same party as Barnaby Joyce who is the minister in charge of DAFF (AQIS. Kevin has been very approachable about this (nice bloke), but I believe is getting the run around by the department.

I think if there is a co-ordinated campaign, we could get this changed.

I have concentrated on my dog's welfare. (I will copy parts of my emails and the replies I have received at the end of this post). Dont mention things like, you want to trim the dog so you can take him straight to a show. I have given examples like I found a protruding nail in my dogs run. He started to develop a hot spot and I pointed this out to the kennel staff. For me, this is a genuine welfare and care issue (eg unless it is recommended by a vet, there is no guarantee that your dog will be exercised). I know it is only 10 days, but anyone with dogs knows, that a lot can happen in 10 days. We always use to be able to visit our dogs, and so far, the reasons given have been unsubstantial (being polite).

What I have proposed is that they trial for 6 months visiting on a Wednesday for 2 hours. This is general visiting, not specifically for grooming (and I did read the other comments which simply confirm, that this is a front office directive to squeeze as much money as possible, with as limited output by staff as possible). This would mean, that during a 10 day stay, you could visit your dog once. Surely that is not too much to ask a tax payer funded organisation.

Here are the reasons I have been given as to why I am not allowed to visit my dog in quarantine (and my comments). It is all very tricky, as they are hiding behind biosecurity - and while none of us, want an outbreak of rabies or any other disease, the rationale behind the reasons given to me so far, is not scientifically sound. I also wonder what biosecurity measures quarantine staff are undertaking when they enter the facility daily. I'll be honest, having imported a few dogs, I have always been surprised by the lack of basic biosecurity eg foot baths, hand washing etc. I do more when I visit other breeders kennels and vice versa !!

MY SUGGESTION

that Quarantine provide one day in the week, eg Wednesday, for owners to visit for 2 hours, either morning or afternoon, or both. They must arrive with 30 minutes of a certain start time, or they are not given entry, this would allow a staff member to warn visitors about the dangers of ticks etc, and show them basic biosecurity eg foot baths, washing hands etc. This would also not interfere with the staff duties too much. Why not at least trial this for 6 months, and allow feedback from customers and staff.

REASONS GIVEN

First email reply

Quarantine procedures are evaluated on an ongoing basis, and revised according to latest knowledge of prevailing biosecurity threats.

The department has decided that if owners had access to their pets during the quarantine period there would be a risk that organisms could be transferred from the animals to the owner and then out into the wider community.

I then asked for a list of organisms they were concerned about.

Second email reply

Ticks are one of the organisms they are particularly concerned with!

(I am advised that even with the large increase in fees being charged, substantial tax payer subsidy is still required to administer the service).

My reply having spoken with local tick officers with NSW DPI - their actual reply was unprintable !!

The life cycle of ticks to vary, and your email did not specify which species of tick DAFF were referring to. The general consensus amongst the tick officers was this wasnt a concern, and certainly that good kennel husbandry (ie daily cleaning of the runs) would be enough to prevent any problems anyway. (I have a science background, so understand many of the issues behind biosecurity)

My thoughts are, why not provide visitors with overalls/coveralls that are washed after the visits, we would pay of course for the hire !!

Im not sure what the dogs would think, but I welcome any suggestions to try and get the visiting hours restored.

What I dont understand it why wasnt this an issue in the first 10 days of the previous regimes of quarantine, what is the difference. I was able to visit my last dog, 3 times in the first 10 days, under the old 30 day system.

Perhaps that is an issue that needs to be raised.

I am sure that if enough people approached their local federal member and CC to Kevin Hogan, and maybe Barnaby Joyce, that this could be changed. Spread the word !!

Roishana