Progesterone And Strange Behaviour

3Woofs

Hi all, just seeking some advice or hear from anyone's views on this situation.

Bitch was on day 4 of her season (could have been a day out at the most) and I got a prog test done as a base line. This was on Tuesday. It was a little earlier then I would normally test but I was already at the vet.

Well wasn't I surprised when it came back as 63nmol!!

Vet said we had most likely missed but to try to breed her. Took her to the stud and she didn't want him near her at all. She's not flagging and is she's still bleeding heavily. I'd swear she wasn't ready. We didn't push the situation so did a fresh AI.

Anyway I thought perhaps a mistake with the test going off what day of the season she's on and also her behaviour, so got another prog test done today and it came back at 65nmol.

Is it strange that it has pretty much stayed the same for 2 days? She was flagging slightly at the touch of my hand this afternoon but I didn't try her with the stud again.

I was planning on doing another AI tomorrow.

Sometimes the level hardly moves for a week or even two, then it can suddenly change very quickly. The dogs just don't read the books about what is supposed to happen. When it comes to bitches in season almost anything is possible. I have known of them to be ready on day 2 and out by day 3 and yet others weren't ready until day 27. Had a bitch here for a mating that was only ready for a couple of hours before going out again. I have seen the prog rise steadily then plateau for a week before starting again and then there are the split seasons when they don't ovulate until the second part.

Thanks for the reply. So seeing as optimal time for breeding is around 30-60nmol, I guess it's possible we caught her. I'm assuming it couldn't be a split season since she reached the point of ovulation already.

• 2 weeks later...