Alternatives To Canidae

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

Hi all! I come bearing yet another question on nutrition.

Hank is currently on Canidae Grain Free. He's doing very well on it but my problem with it is that it's hard to source plus it works out to be quite a bit more expensive than most of the other premium brands. Soooo just wondering if there's anything out there that' similar in quality and ingredients or wondering if I should just stick with it?

So far I'm considering:

1) Taste of the Wild - my only issue with this brand is that the protein content seems a little high and Hank's breeder advised me not to feed anything with over 26% protein while he's still growing. One of their formulas is lower in protein though which I could try.

2) Earthborn Holistic - Haven't tried this brand at all but have read a couple of good things about their kibble in this forum.

Any advice or experience on the brands above? Other suggestions are welcome too!

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm looking mainly into grain free as he seems to have an issue with grain (including oatmeal). Also anything that's not chicken based. I've tried him on Black Hawk and Holistic Select and wasn't too impressed with either :/

Edited by hankodie

There is Wellness too, sold at Petbarn so pretty easy to get. I'm feeding one of theirs at the moment because I got a free bag. They have a grain free range.

Can't really help with taste though as none of my dogs thought much of Canidae and have all liked Holistic Select.

I've used Earthborn and have neutral feelings about it, nothing bad happened but nothing wow either :)

Mine have done well on TOTW and also the Costco grain free. But they don't have a specific issue with grain and have also done well on Holistic Select/Eagle Pack. I dont know what has chicken and what hasn't though, never needed to check. They don't like Wellness or Canidae much, low palatability for them. My cat wouldn't touch the Welness cat food I got her either, that whole purchase was a bit of a flop.

Edited by Diva

Guest hankodie

Yes I've noticed the palatability issue with Canidae, Hank hasn't been as enthusiastic about this kibble. When I put his bowl down he seems pretty "meh" about it but will eat it eventually (because he's still a garbage guts :laugh:) His fur is looking nice and soft but not sure if that's also to do with the fish, raw bones etc that I feed him too.

Haven't read up much about Wellness but will do so now, thanks for the suggestion JulesP.

Which variety of Canidae are you using?

A quick look at some of the grain free foods at regular price provides the following costing:

Holistic Select $11.67 per kg

Wellness Core $11 per kg

Canidae G/F varieties $10.58 per kg

Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch $9.75 per kg

Next Generation Petfoods Duck & Veg $4.99 per kg.

Earthborn prices do vary slightly between their three grainfree varieties.

If you factor in any loyalty programs (Canidae and Earthborn every 9th bag free) that will change the overall cost as well.

Sags

:)

Guest hankodie

Thanks for the breakdown Sags! My math is terrible :laugh:

I'm currently using the Pure Land formula which is $99.95 for 10.88 kilos from Pawsforlife.com.au (that's excluding shipping).

The earthborn holistic food I'm looking at isn't too much different in price but TOTW is $93.95 for 13.6 kgs.

I can source both earthborn and TOTW from a shop near where I live which is my main reason for contemplating the switch, I know paws for life do automated shipping but it's still a pain if I need any emergency food for any reason.

Guest hankodie

There's also raw food - human grade bones and meat, along with vegetables, which are generally easily accessible via the supermarket :).

thanks Erny :D I've read a lot about raw feeding through this forum and it is something I'm interested in but I think I'll wait as my vet & breeder advised to keep him on a high quality kibble until he's finished growing. I supplement his current diet with RMBs and extras like canned fish, egg, veggies, meat etc which he's doing well on :)

My Husky is on TOTW and I think it is very good. He is growing big but vet has commented that he is in perfect condition and his joints are all good. He said that whatever I am doing...keep doing it. He also gets some low fat human mince, chicken hearts or frozen chicken necks as advised by the breeder.

I have always been anti-mixing raw and kibble, but decided to put complete trust in the breeder and I have seen no tummy upsets or diarrhea at any stage, which is surprising as Huskies can have quite sensitive stomachs.

I started a thread a while ago that I've been updating. Like Hank, Nova is a no go for chicken or grains, after going through lots of foods, we're on Grain Free Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch. Nova is loving it, which is a big deal because he's never been very foody, poos are small and firm, and he's no longer itchy!!

If he goes off the taste I'm going to try the lamb version because it's lower in protein too (I don't want to swtich now that he;s actually eating!), or try the Wellness version you can get from Petbarn.

Thread here :)

Edited by LisaCC

Guest hankodie

I started a thread a while ago that I've been updating. Like Hank, Nova is a no go for chicken or grains, after going through lots of foods, we're on Grain Free Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch. Nova is loving it, which is a big deal because he's never been very foody, poos are small and firm, and he's no longer itchy!!

If he goes off the taste I'm going to try the lamb version because it's lower in protein too (I don't want to swtich now that he;s actually eating!), or try the Wellness version you can get from Petbarn.

Thread here :)

Thanks Lisa, didn't realise you had been updating that thread! Glad to hear Nova is liking his food :D I think I might try the lamb based one first though I think Hank would do well on either.

Hank is a bit 'meh' about his Canidae food unless I mix something with it (usually veggies, canned fish, yogurt, etc etc). Otherwise he'll eat half of it and then wander off.

I know its not premium but Scottie loves the VIP grain free from Woolies.

Thanks scottsmum, I had no idea woolies did a grain free food!

Poppy's teeth got really skanky from eating the VIP. Don't really know why. She did like eating it.

Amber isn't wanting to eat the L/D :eek: She wants Poppy's food.

How is Hank on rice? There is the Nutro Lamb & Rice formula. I've used that in the past with good results.

Guest hankodie

Thanks jules! Haven't tried him on rice come to think of it, I just looked up the Nutro brand they also stock it near where I live! Looks like I have lots to choose from.

I've read lots of dogs aren't keen on the L/D! Odie also wants Hank's food :laugh: I heard the K/D is quite similar and is suitable for liver dogs if you ever want to change it up?

Btw sorry for the OT but how are you keeping Amber's teeth clean? Odie's seem to be doing OK except for 2 in the back that are worrying me :( I try to brush her teeth regularly but it's not helping very much.

This is a new development as Amber used to love the L/D. It is actually the K/D that I am feeding as I got sick of the L/D being unavailable.

Teeth are a issue. And one that no one has come up with a solution for. The Zuke's dental bones are meat free, not sure they do much. The Supercoat dental sticks have some protein in them but seemed to be helping. Am thinking about trying the seawood food additive. The vets and my whacky liver site seem to think that is ok. If she will chew the nylon bones you could try them.

Guest hankodie

Oh that's annoying isn't it? I wish the Royal Canin hepatic formula was stocked in Australia so at least you have a variety to choose from.

Is the seaweed food additive the same thing as kelp powder?

Odie likes nylabones but gets bored of them quickly. Antlers seem to work relatively well but again, she only has a good chew on them when the mood strikes her. I was looking into the dental sticks as well as they are only 8 or 9% protein from what I remember, I might try that next!

I used the Earthborn Costal Catch, needed a grain free food for one of our dogs, this food is well tolerated by her and used as treats for training for the other because they seem to love it. It's consistent in quality etc