Dog Tattooed

Staffyluv

I don't like it but, as others have said, not a huge welfare issue in the scheme of things.

I actually disagree. It's the vanity of it all that bothers me. What comes next, doggie earrings for Fluffy? Nose rings for your hipster Frenchie? What if this were to set a precedent and that was the next wave of doggie fashion. You can take your dog to a puppy tattoo parlour and get Rocky a nice big tattoo to make sure everyone knows he's a 'badass'

Why can we not just love our animals as they are and not set a precedent for them further becoming an accessory or a fashion statement.

It's not comparable to desex tattoos or working dog branding which actually serve a purpose, it's just vain and stupid and I would be seriously concerned if it took off.

As for the woman with her 'my dog is cooler than yours' bravado. She sounds like a genius.

Actually, I've discussed this with my sister, for her cats and my dogs. Name tags/identification in a lightweight form on an ear tag (or even through the loose skin on the neck) would, in my opinion, be a much safer alternative for both cats and dogs over the traditional collar. Basically, an ear tag/skin piercing when they are a young puppy/kitten, it will heal quickly, yet the hole will remain for life. As they age, you can change out tags etc to easily reflect current details, and worst case scenario is a ripped edge of the ear/skin tear requiring maybe a stich or two, as opposed to potentially hanging themselves to death if their collar gets caught. Unfortunately I haven't been game enough to do it because of stupid animal rights douchebags. They'd probably report me to the RSPCA, who would then come and kill all my animals because that's what they do.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it but, as others have said, not a huge welfare issue in the scheme of things.

I actually disagree. It's the vanity of it all that bothers me. What comes next, doggie earrings for Fluffy? Nose rings for your hipster Frenchie? What if this were to set a precedent and that was the next wave of doggie fashion. You can take your dog to a puppy tattoo parlour and get Rocky a nice big tattoo to make sure everyone knows he's a 'badass'

Why can we not just love our animals as they are and not set a precedent for them further becoming an accessory or a fashion statement.

It's not comparable to desex tattoos or working dog branding which actually serve a purpose, it's just vain and stupid and I would be seriously concerned if it took off.

As for the woman with her 'my dog is cooler than yours' bravado. She sounds like a genius.

Actually, I've discussed this with my sister, for her cats and my dogs. Name tags/identification in a lightweight form on an ear tag (or even through the loose skin on the neck) would, in my opinion, be a much safer alternative for both cats and dogs over the traditional collar. Basically, an ear tag/skin piercing when they are a young puppy/kitten, it will heal quickly, yet the hole will remain for life. As they age, you can change out tags etc to easily reflect current details, and worst case scenario is a ripped edge of the ear/skin tear requiring maybe a stich or two, as opposed to potentially hanging themselves to death if their collar gets caught. Unfortunately I haven't been game enough to do it because of stupid animal rights douchebags. They'd probably report me to the RSPCA, who would then come and kill all my animals because that's what they do.

I don't see the need for that, just buy breakaway collars.

My cats wear these and they are all alive, after 19, 6 and 1 years respectively.

Sometimes the cats just turn up collarless, but thats rarely. And I buy cheap engraved metal nametags from a guy on ebay who does them for $4.95 including postage. So its hardly the end of the world to replace.

And what about flop eared dogs?

I don't see how it would work on a spaniel. A kelpie or similar yes.

ear tags are great for sheep/cattle/goats who have pendulous ears, and rarely try & clean/scratch their ears .

I think for dogs & cats the irritation/risk of them getting caught in claws/teeth would be too high to be considered. I would happily get a dog/cat tattooed with details , rather than use an ear tag ;) As for trying to pierce pendulous skin on a neck?? That is a good way to introduce all sorts of nasties into a dog's bloodstream ...plus the skin there is skin/fat..not cartilage like an ear. VERY different .Once again cats/dogs playing/cleaning themselves precludes this , I think.

and NOPE , I am not one of who you call "stupid animal rights douchebags." But I like to think of myself as practical

ear tags are great for sheep/cattle/goats who have pendulous ears, and rarely try & clean/scratch their ears .

I think for dogs & cats the irritation/risk of them getting caught in claws/teeth would be too high to be considered. I would happily get a dog/cat tattooed with details , rather than use an ear tag ;) As for trying to pierce pendulous skin on a neck?? That is a good way to introduce all sorts of nasties into a dog's bloodstream ...plus the skin there is skin/fat..not cartilage like an ear. VERY different .Once again cats/dogs playing/cleaning themselves precludes this , I think.

and NOPE , I am not one of who you call "stupid animal rights douchebags." But I like to think of myself as practical

This ^ and I'm not a 'stupid animal rights douchebag' either.

I can only imagine the injuries caused to my Cavalier KC Spaniels if they had ear tags or tags suspended from their necks.

Did you and your sister really think this through?

sorry that ear/neck tag thing sounds ridiculous.

My dog doesn't wear a collar, but he is microchipped, and as mentioned earlier has a ear tattoo which at 11 you can barely see. He's not an escape artist, thank god, and for vanity reasons I didn't like him wearing a collar.

I would never think of having anything like an ear tag for him.

Maybe get your sister to use a quick release collar.

Seems downright stupid to me. Vain and stupid. Dog is under for surgery and you're there asking if you can tattoo her while they take her spleen? Idiot. Total idiot.

Pretty hard to outlaw stupid or vain. And calling idiots stupid seldom improves their behavior.

Very true, but it does still stand!

And as for the neck and or ear tags I think we'll stick to microchips and ID tags on collars here too. They would last about 5 mins in this house and I don't fancy one getting torn out and an infection of the neck region.

Fair enough, it wouldn't be appropriate for all types of dogs or all types of cats. I never said it would be. Sense would need to be applied, just like when purchasing a collar. You wouldn't put a giant studded collar on a cat for practical reasons, and understandably you wouldn't put a huge metal tag hanging off a dog or cat's ear. It's possible to get all necessary information condensed onto one small size, lightweight plastic disc. Council rego number on one side, and owners contact details on the other. I'm not talking a huge dangly "earring", it would be as small as possible balless ring through the ear with the SMALL tag attached. Neck piercing imo would be more appropriate for cats as they don't tend to play with each other the same way dogs do, again, a very small piercing with as small as possible tag attached. Yes, it would have to be kept clean while it healed, but once it had healed (which wouldn't take long), it would be fine.

And just for the record, I never said (or meant to imply) that anyone who disagrees with me is an animal rights douchebag. When I said "animal rights douchebags", what I meant was "the type of person who will bitch and moan about how cruel check chains are, but is perfectly okay with alpha rolling their chihuahua because the internet told them it was okay to do that" (and yes I am aware that that is a generalisation)

I wonder if they will be even able to see it when the hair grow back

I was wondering that too. Maybe they'll keep shaving the poor dog so his tat can be seen and admired by "other artists". :(

I don't know how long it takes to do a tattoo like that one, but I am sure the dog was under anaesthetic unnecessarily long to get it done.

Another thing I wondered about.

Story is pretty light on detail like that.

Probably about half an hour to do, I have a couple the same size that took about that long.

Dog looks to be no spring chicken either, which makes it more irresponsible to have the extra half hour on an already fairly extensive operation. Some people...

I hate this tattoo can't think of a more stupid thing, the next thought (didn't read the article if it is mentioned)

Do they plan to keep shaving this dog's shoulder ?

And my tat a little sore, more so when something scraped it (on my thigh) so laying in bed sheets where annoying, and a few days later it was itch as F*** can't imagine healing from surgery and having to deal with that trying to relax with no sudden movements then scrape eek1.gif

trying to relax cone on head stitches itching and sore, shoulder incredibly itchy frown.gif

I love tats have my artist drawing my next up the entire one side of my back but this in my infliction on myself not a choice i have the right to make for another creature.

this person should be charged whit animal cruelty.

Edited by Angeluca

I fail to see how anyone can equate desexing to tattooing.

Desexing is done for a purpose to prevent pregnancy. The purpose, just like docking, can be clearly argued. The success of intended outcomes for such a procedure is not so clear cut though and still argued by both sides.

The purpose of the tattoo is purely for the owners enjoyment. Surely there is no argument there. The welfare and health of the dog does not benefit in any way.

I fail to see how anyone can equate desexing to tattooing.

Desexing is done for a purpose to prevent pregnancy. The purpose, just like docking, can be clearly argued. The success of intended outcomes for such a procedure is not so clear cut though and still argued by both sides.

The purpose of the tattoo is purely for the owners enjoyment. Surely there is no argument there. The welfare and health of the dog does not benefit in any way.

100% agree.... Well said Anne.

Why do it at all?????? Purely for the owner enjoyment. The last thing I would want to do to my beloved dog is inflict any pain for NO reason :mad Self scented & very cruel idiots IMHO.

Edited by BC Crazy

I was at a friends house yesterday when she had a friend drop by with their little amstaff bitch and lo and behold, these people who seemed relatively nice have tattooed their dogs inner thigh with a skull and crossbones for 'ID purposes'

I didn't ask why any more than that, I didn't get into it because it just infuriated me. Has no one ever heard of a microchip?

I'm just in awe this is even a thing. I had no idea.

Edited by Steph M

I was at a friends house yesterday when she had a friend drop by with their little amstaff bitch and lo and behold, these people who seemed relatively nice have tattooed their dogs inner thigh with a skull and crossbones for 'ID purposes'

I didn't ask why any more than that, I didn't get into it because it just infuriated me. Has no one ever heard of a microchip?

I'm just in awe this is even a thing. I had no idea.

actually I'm not against this sort of tattoo. Reason is valid. Though I would have put my initials or something. Microchips can be removed. GSD's were and maybe still are tattoo'ed for ID purposes, in their ears, much like greyhounds were.

But its just a large decorative tattoo, if it I believed for a second it was for ID that'd be different. Partner of the girl who owns it is a tattoo artist and seemed like a bit of a moron.

I'm sure the stamp in the ear or small mark/brand is less painful and difficult to do than a big old decoration done on a wide awake dog on the couch for show.

But its just a large decorative tattoo, if it I believed for a second it was for ID that'd be different. Partner of the girl who owns it is a tattoo artist and seemed like a bit of a moron.

I'm sure the stamp in the ear or small mark/brand is less painful and difficult to do than a big old decoration done on a wide awake dog on the couch for show.

but you didn't say that so I was only commentating on your original statement.