Overseas Move With Dog Involved

blakkjackal

I know on domestic flights they don't let you put water in the crate. I'm not sure if the same applies for international (and wouldn't hope not), however a good tip in case they don't allow water on any leg of the journey is to get a bottle of water, freeze it and put it in the crate so your dog can lick the condensation.

Funny you mention this. A friend exporting from Hungary got told not to do that. 1st issue was turbulence might cause the contents to bounce around & hit the dog ( whilst bottle was still frozen.) 2nd was the dog chewing the bottle open & choking on its covering (plastic).

That's interesting as I was told by the freight dept to do the frozen bottle of water thing. I did think of the bottle hitting her when there was turbulence but took my chances on that one for fear of her getting dehydrated. She's not a big chewer so that was not an issue for me - I guess it depends on the dog.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

International flights yes to water, jetpets use one frozen and one normal.

Good to know.

When I flew dogs to the US they wanted a funnel installed on the outside so that they could put water into the can. I think they wanted it dry for loading.

Hi Hockz

We are currently living in the UK for 2 years and flew our dog (Labrador) over here and he will be flying back at the end of this year. He had no problems coming over and has never been in a crate. He had flown domestically on a few occasions though. He wasn't let out of the crate at all on the way over but I have heard that some places have the quarantine facilities to let them out of their crate and be kennelled over night (Dubai maybe?) Ours went via Thailand and only stopped for about three hours. The trip over is always a worry but it is definitely a lovely life for them over here - lots of freedom to go places and be off lead. Good luck with your plans and message me if you would like any info.

Christina I do not know the airline for the incident at Sydney airport, it was in the Advertiser a couple of weeks ago with a picture of the Frenchie, small picture, but it was Qantas that my boy was travelling on back in 2004, apparently, when I rang the clinic that he was taken too the lovely Spanish vet asked me which one would have been mine, about four other dogs passed away in the same week as my boy, I was later contacted by a lady in WA when she read about my little fellow to let me know that her Swedish Ch. Shih Tzu had passed at the same airport the same week, then they had the audacity to send on the crate to her with hair still attached, so heartless.

Once we tried to get compensation from Qantas, did not happen brought though, they quoting something about the Warsaw Convention that took the onus off of airlines for the transport of animals, they then refused to carry any more Bracchy breeds.

I do not know if that still applies not willing to try that game out again.

I have heard that instead of flying direct from Australia to England/Europe, especially with Bracchy breeds it is better to get them going there via Canada or the USA,

wayrod, on here, is the go to man to answer all your questions & give you a quote. Maybe shoot him a PM? :)

Done that thank you. Waiting for a reply. :)

I have found an office number for you, to speed things up a bit:

03 93380823

:D

ETA This is the thread I was looking for!

Edited by trifecta

wayrod, on here, is the go to man to answer all your questions & give you a quote. Maybe shoot him a PM? :)

Done that thank you. Waiting for a reply. :)

I have found an office number for you, to speed things up a bit:

03 93380823

:D

ETA This is the thread I was looking for!

Thanks for that! I'll give him a ring.

Hi Hockz

I would highly recommend Dogtainers (www.dogtainers.com.au). They do everything from picking them up from your home and delivering them to your door in Europe. I used them to transport my three Jack Russells; we moved from Australia to Dubai; then I moved to Italy and after 18months in Italy I came back to Australia - they were amazing and they answer all your questions and take a lot of stress out of the process.

But don't get me wrong you will be worried and a little stressed about your child.

Good luck

Hi Hockz

I would highly recommend Dogtainers (www.dogtainers.com.au). They do everything from picking them up from your home and delivering them to your door in Europe. I used them to transport my three Jack Russells; we moved from Australia to Dubai; then I moved to Italy and after 18months in Italy I came back to Australia - they were amazing and they answer all your questions and take a lot of stress out of the process.

But don't get me wrong you will be worried and a little stressed about your child.

Good luck

Wow, that's a lot of moving around the globe! laugh.gif Mind if I ask but how did your dogs react to repeated flying? I've heard of dogs that somehow got out of the crate or possibly were taken out and then escaped, refusing to go back in the crate because the flying had been such a bad experience for them. :(

I've heard a few good things about Dogtainers now so I'm looking forward to their reply.

Hi Hockz

Good luck

Wow, that's a lot of moving around the globe! laugh.gif Mind if I ask but how did your dogs react to repeated flying? I've heard of dogs that somehow got out of the crate or possibly were taken out and then escaped, refusing to go back in the crate because the flying had been such a bad experience for them. :(

I've heard a few good things about Dogtainers now so I'm looking forward to their reply.

When they arrived in Dubai - they were really good and looked amazing! My little boy was a little spooked after his first flight but came right after a few days. Their trip to Dubai was a non-stop which was great for me. When they went from Italy to Australia there was one stop and they were taken out of their crates and the crates were cleaned and they were taken for a walk (Dogtainers informed me of this); which I was very happy to hear. When I finally got them home after 30 days in Quarantine they looked amazing and both Mum and kiddies were very very happy!

The great thing with Dogtainers they have agents all over the world - even in Italy they had an English speaking agent. They will answer all your questions and believe me they took away a lot of the stress and worry.

Hi Hockz

Good luck

When they arrived in Dubai - they were really good and looked amazing! My little boy was a little spooked after his first flight but came right after a few days. Their trip to Dubai was a non-stop which was great for me. When they went from Italy to Australia there was one stop and they were taken out of their crates and the crates were cleaned and they were taken for a walk (Dogtainers informed me of this); which I was very happy to hear. When I finally got them home after 30 days in Quarantine they looked amazing and both Mum and kiddies were very very happy!

The great thing with Dogtainers they have agents all over the world - even in Italy they had an English speaking agent. They will answer all your questions and believe me they took away a lot of the stress and worry.

Dogtainers and/or the agents tell you to put a piece of your clothing in with them so they can spell your scent; didn't have any problems with them getting back into their crates - good travellers and well travelled!

Reassuring to hear that. Thanks again. :)

This was the company that brought a Black Russian Terrier from Austria a few years ago.

No stone was left unturned to ensure this bitch had a smooth flight. Based on prior experience they even predicted a change of flight schedules & so had plans changed.

They have also handled numerous Vizslak flights in and out of Australia with great expertise. One new human Momma got to be on the same plane Trans-Tasman.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, we are in the process of booking flights with the awesome assistance of Dogtainers and crate training officially starts tomorrow as they have been kind enough to provide us with the flight crate more than a month advance! thumbsup1.gif Must say I'm very pleased with their service so far. Getting close now...

Edited by Black_jackal

Oh also, if anyone can suggest a good crate training program that would be greatly appreciated!

Great to hear things are going well!

Susan Garrett's Crate Games is excellent but perhaps a bit more complex than you're after although even doing just the first few games can make a huge difference. I start my pups off by just feeding them in their crate - make sure they have a good run around first - training and play so they are nice and relaxed. Pop them them in the crate with a stuffed Kong (or simply scatter dry food in there to begin with) and they soon get the idea that it's the best place in the world to eat and sleep. I only let them out when they are quiet and calm - even a few seconds to begin with. I do it when I'm home so I can supervise. During the day I leave the crate open and they will often wander in of their own volition.

Cheers, was definitely going to feed him in there and crate games sounds like fun too, will give that a go for sure. I thought about making him sleep in there but honestly I don't know if I could bear the thought of no doggy cuddles for a month and a bit! laugh.gif

If the crate will fit in your car take him for lots of car trips in the crate to places he likes. Parks, beach, etc, all fun places so he associates going in the crate with fun. I don't do any crate training as such but my dogs all travel in them several times a week and spend time in them at shows so they associate crates with car travel and fun places and soon learn to jump into them in the car. When I bought my first show trolley I worried the dogs wouldn't like it. I put it up in the lounge room and one dog got straight into it. When he got out the next one got in. They just loved going into it and would have loved me to have left it there all the time. When I bought a smaller crate for shows for my now smaller breed, I put it up in the lounge room for a few days for him to get used to it. He wandered in and out and the bigger dog managed to fold himself up and squeezed into it. The look he gave me was priceless as I am sure he was thinking, gee this one is a bit small but he still wanted to be in there.

And here we go!

14164699813_0a603ecb31_z.jpg

...Unfortunately the crate size that was originally quoted for us ended up being too small and we will have it swapped tomorrow.

If I could I would take him for car rides in it but alas, I don't have a car. frown.gif