Pregnant Dog In Need Sth Coast Nsw

I think dad will be fine. At least here the pound doesn't euth friendly dogs unless they have big health issues or need extended care for some reason. If he's healthy and friendly which it sounds like he is then he should be fine, even if he were to end up at the pound. The dogs at the pound have huge grassed play areas, etc, it's a good pound :)

ETA: Just meaning that I think there are dogs who are more in need of rescue assistance than this fellow. Personally I think she'll be able to find him a private rehome anyway :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good that she has somewhere to go. She doesn't look very pregnant, perhaps she could be speyed now, with respect to her general condition, age, and the mixed breeding of the pups?

Would certainly be worth asking the vet about speying.

I think that's an old photo, she does look pregnant in real life.

This is the message I just sent Ninahartland but I'll paste it here as it pretty much sums things up as I've found them so far :)

After a few hours settling I've done a bit of work with her to see what she's like. She really is just a giant wiggly puppy with a tail that is always in motion :). She has some good basic training, sits and drops well for a treat which she takes very politely. Pulled badly on the lead when they brought her in but I tried a halti on her and after a minutes fussing over it she got the idea and was very good and is very attentive to what you are asking of her(even if she doesn't entirely always understand, you can tell she's trying to be a good girl for you :) ). Haven't been able to any freedom at all with my dogs though, I think it's a lot to do with my girls who find her size very intimidating and are being very defensive but there was a bit of back and forth low growling and mild lip curling so I've completely separated them for now. I'm sure it doesn't help that all three are girls and that Zena is not only entire but also pregnant and feeling uncertain. She was fine though on lead and with a bag of treats all three dogs were happy to crowd around me and wag their tails and sit for a treat, it was only when there was no distraction and they had time to actually think about each other we had issues LOL. I think with some time going for walkies, etc she would be fine with other female dogs but may be better with males. She showed only momentary interest in my budgies and hasn't even noticed the guinea pigs so I don't think she's massively prey driven, she hasn't seen the cat yet. Hope that info is useful to Mary for starters so she can get an idea what to expect. I will say that she is definitely a big dog, not as tall as a dane but definitely very big so Mary needs to make sure her husband makes a decent sized whelping box :laugh:

Since I know you are stalking this thread Mary :p

Riverstar I hope you don't mind that she has claimed the insert out of that bed, it was in the corner and I put a lovely big doona down for her and then found her sleeping on that LOL. I figured it was for rescue anyway so she counts and I haven't had a chance to drop it up to my friend as I was washing the collars, good thing they only have little dogs at the moment!

post-6758-0-17715300-1394531747_thumb.jpg

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Literally 5 minutes ago she hopped in the car for stage 2 of her journey :) My friend's absolutely gorgeous brothers have kindly taken her to Canberra tonight and she's going to bunk with them and Mary will meet them in Canberra in the morning fr her trip over to Temora. :D

Interestingly she seems to have lost a little weight around her belly the last couple of days which has left me wondering whetehr she may have reabsorbed some or all of the pups, I've let Mary know so she can look in to it further.