Flying Dogs East To West Coast Costs?

Anyone flown medium -large dogs recently and got an idea of the costs? Sascha is 17kg and Josie is 23kg. My husband has just suggested a cross country expedition and when I said 'what about the dogs?" his response was"Well, we'll just fly them over and they can come with us" :o

Oh wow, that's alright, I was expecting more than that! I told my hubby it might be $2-300 each(it's always good to overestimate with him so he doesn't get surprised ;) ) and he said, "See, that's OK, not too expensive." It was about his less cheapskatey moment in his entire life :laugh:

I'd also like to add to this conversation by saying that I've had nothing but good experiences flying my dog domestically with Virgin. I watched her on the tarmac and the staff were saying hello to her and very gentle with the crate.

My puppy came from Newcastle to Perth via Melbourne on 2nd January, so yeah it was very hot. No problems whatsoever. I recommend contacting Wayrod on the forum here. Great service and you keep the crate. Although crate option might be different with a larger dog.

Just got a quote from jet pets for a flight of a 22kg dog from Perth to Brisbane, inc hire crate $540. Dogtainers was $100 dearer.

Accompanied $135

Fights to and from Perth to Brisbane either leave here at an ungodly hour of the morning or evening, or the same on the other side. I have a friend in Perth as well as my sister. I am either picking them up at 11pm or 6am.

Dogs need to be at the airport 1.5-2 hrs prior to plane leaving

Edited by Mystiqview

Our puppy arrived in Perth from Adelaide on Friday 24 January this year. It was scheduled to be Wednesday but it was 40 odd degrees that day. Jetpets contacted me the day before and changed the booking to Friday as it was going to be too hot. I was super worried about the heat and the only flights from Adelaide were departing around midday and landing in Perth at 4. It was warm on the Friday but they guys from Toll/virgin were super good. The person from Jetpets were as concerned as I was about the heat.

Thanks M, so if you were flying too it would just be $135 on top of your ticket, does that exclude crate hire? I'd probably buy crates any way as we would be travelling back by road so it would be easier to have crates to put them in for the travel.

Just got a quote from jet pets for a flight of a 22kg dog from Perth to Brisbane, inc hire crate $540. Dogtainers was $100 dearer.

Be aware that different franchises of Dogtainers may quote you different prices. You can ring any of the franchises for a quote, the Canberra one was always well priced; you don't have to ring the franchise in Brisbane if you are departing ex Brisbane, any one of the franchises can book it for you.

It would also seem an appropriate time to recommend the services of DOL's wayrod:

Moorholme Park Pet Care Centre

65-125 Bassett Road, MELBOURNE AIRPORT, 3045

Office: (03) 93380823

Mobile: 0452643141

Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Web: www.boardingkennels.com.au

My guess is the $135 excludes crate hire. I haven't flown recently but when my 17kg BC girls have flown virgin its been as accompanied and its been $100 each way thats been to fly from Adelaide to Perth and Adelaide to Sydney. I paid about $200 a number of years ago now for my 36" vari airline crate and managed to borrow a friends when I took them both with me.

Thanks M, so if you were flying too it would just be $135 on top of your ticket, does that exclude crate hire? I'd probably buy crates any way as we would be travelling back by road so it would be easier to have crates to put them in for the travel.

Yes, that was with own crate. It was an XL vari kennel. There is a FB group called "crate exchange". Someone in Perth needed their crate back, so used their crate in this instance, the crate was for a standard poodle, so I paid slightly more to get him over. There maybe someone also in your area who needs a crate taken back.

Make sure if you do go accompanied, if you book straight into qantas if you them, you tell them you are a ANKC member

Otherwise, look at 2nd crates on gumtree etc

Be aware that different franchises of Dogtainers may quote you different prices. You can ring any of the franchises for a quote, the Canberra one was always well priced; you don't have to ring the franchise in Brisbane if you are departing ex Brisbane, any one of the franchises can book it for you

I just rang their 1300 number.

I have also found a big difference in price between which carrier you use. Virgin tends to be cheaper than Qantas. However you also do not have a choice with some airports as some carriers do not freight animals. Eg from memory - Canberra only has Qantas freight.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll definitely look in to that crate exchange thingy, if we travel with crates I'd rather travel with collapsible ones so would use airline crates to get over, ditch those and use the collapsibles while travelling. We'll be going out of Sydney so there's a fair chance someone might need a crate or two returned. :)

The $135.00 amount is normally for accompanied animal price. Crate hire is usually extra and varies depending on company that you hire from.

Virgin Airlines allow for two passenger animals and four freight animals per flight, so early bookings are recommended. Qantas passenger animals numbers vary depending on the size of aircraft being used.

Based on the information provided, as a guide, a 22kg dog from Perth to Brisbane including crate hire is $480.00.

Not sure why, but have had three calls this afternoon asking for the same specifications!!!

Edited by wayrod