Making "that" Decision

MadWoofter

My poor old boy is suffering a few health issues at the moment and we know his time with us is limited. I keep an eye on his enjoyment of life and have a few benchmarks to go by. Currently he is still wanting to be with us, he waits happily at my bedroom door at 6am ready to wobble in and say hello, he will still pick up a toy and kill it (very gently!) and roll on it with his legs in the air. He still knows when it is dinner time and when it is time to get his biscuit. Once any of these things go away and he wont get out of bed or isn't interested in his food, then I will know it is time. :cry:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be completely honest here...

You can't ever truly "prepare" yourself for the peaceful passing of your heart dog. It will hurt like hell - for a long time.

What you can do is be confident that you are doing the best thing for her when she needs you to have that confidence. Hold your head high and know that you give her that release with love and a breaking heart.

Remember her well, and know that she will forever live long in your heart and soul - never really that far from you at all. When you remember her, smile at all the fun things you did together for all those years - that final memory is only one of many many memories you will have of her - focus on the myriad great ones she gave you...

Also know that if/when it is her time to make her journey to the Bridge, she will be in some awesome doggy company while she waits for you to join her someday.

T.

Firstly, sorry you are in this position with your girl. I know that you will do the right thing for her.

I was in this position twice in 6 months last year. My old boy was nearly 15 and I had watched him like a hawk for about 12 months. He was getting very feeble, nearly blind, nearly deaf. His back legs were very unstable. It was winter and I was so worried about him not being able to get up once he had laid down and that he could be down on the cold ground for hours whilst I was away from home. Eventually, one morning, he couldn't support himself when he needed to go to the toilet and that was it. He was also very out of sorts and grumbly and I just knew it was time, as heart breaking as it was.

My girl I lost just this January, she had mast cell tumours and we knew that her time was limited, very limited. After losing Eddie so quickly and having no time to 'think' I did a lot of thinking and planning for Maggie's passing. We spent quality time together and did all the things that she loved. Her and I had Christmas Day together, eating turkey and prawns and having a little paddle in the dam. When it was time, I felt more 'together' than I had with Ed, but I had already started to grieve for her.

I have them both buried on our property, with beautiful memorial plaques, I had a wake for them both with my girlfriends, toasted them with champagne and read the Rainbow Bridge. I also have a beautiful pendant with Maggie's hair embedded in it, I haven't taken it off yet, and doubt I will for a long time.

It is hard, so very hard, but I can smile now and laugh, and as I type this I'm no longer crying. My dogs are in my heart forever.

Thinking of you.

It is hard, so very hard, but I can smile now and laugh, and as I type this I'm no longer crying. My dogs are in my heart forever.

Thinking of you.

A close friend of mine shared exactly this with me. Cry at first, then allow the smiles and laughter to come back to replace the pain of loss.

Such words of comfort, leec.

:heart:

MW, our dogs live in the moment & it is one of the best lessons we can learn from our faithful companions!

Try not to grieve before she is gone, there is plenty of time after the event for that, & although it is hard & you feel like your heart is breaking, try not to let your sadness colour whatever time remains with Tess...... for her sake as much as yours.... for she will sense your state of mind.

Be guided by your vet, I would say there are some positive signs in that Tess is still toiletting outside & seems generally happy although her body is starting to fail; however your intimate knowledge of your dog together with your vet's expertise will help you through the thought processes that ultimately lead to a decision.

I think this article has been posted on DOL before, but at times like these it is worth reading again:

Respect For The Passage - Donna Raditic DVM, CVA

We never know how long we will have with the animals that share our lives, but it is a journey everyone of us on here has made or will make. It is your journey now, MW, but rest assured when it is done, we will be here for you. :grouphug:

What trifecta said so well. The time is coming when I'm going to have to start thinking about this with Mac too. In thinking about it, the day he isn't interested in food, or is not interested in his surroundings, can't get up and is obviously very unhappy is the day that my heart will break and I'll make 'that decision' for him. crying.gif I think it will be a 'quality of life' decision but I'm genuinely not sure what that will look like.

But I did wonder about your girl as she still seems to be enjoying life even if she is a bit wobbly? I've just started some acupuncture with Mac and I think it's really helped his wobbly back- end.. He potters around still slowly, but much more steadily after his acupuncture session. Might that help make your girl a bit more comfortable too? Anyway just some thoughts and prayers for you and your girl. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I don't think it is ever easy - just love them while they are around and have lots of happy memories.

I had to make the hard decision today because mine was in pain from HD and arthritis and sadly getting very grumpy and bitey.

I don't think it is ever easy - just love them while they are around and have lots of happy memories.

I had to make the hard decision today because mine was in pain from HD and arthritis and sadly getting very grumpy and bitey.

Hugs to you Sparkycat

Thinking of you & Tess - just know that you are not alone and a lot of us have had to face this decision. By the sounds of Tess, she is still enjoying the little things in life which make her happy.

If you know beforehand whether you will be cremating or arranging a burial, it will make it a little easier at the vets if you inform them of your decision as well.

My last girl was my most traumatic as I had just had my Mum pass away earlier that morning. Mid morning I rang my friend who was looking after my other dogs and she advised me that my eldest girl did not look good. I had to rush home and then get her up to the vet who didn't say anything but I could tell by the look on his face it was not good. I take a little comfort in that Brandi went to keep Mum company on their journey that day.

I have only younger/ middle-aged dogs, but I have thought about this. I have decided upon cremation. That it is better to send them one day early than one day late. And that my life will be unbearable without them.

This next bit might be upsetting, so I've whited it out. A site I found earlier today might be of interest: Whisper in the Heart. It is for a woman who makes pet cremation and memorial jewellery and urns. The pendants can have some fur or ashes placed in them and sealed so that you can carry your pet with you. Some may find it macabre, but it is something I think I will be doing when the time comes.

And that my life will be unbearable without them.

I sincerely hope your life will not be unbearable. :(

Yes, you will grieve, you will suffer extreme sadness, we all do, but with time you will realise your life has been enriched by the unconditional love of your companion. Yes, they are gone physically, but the things they have taught us & the memories of the things we love about them stay with us forever.

Anybody who chooses to share their life with an animal lives close to nature, we witness birth & death, the two are intertwined & cannot be seperated. This is why I say do not grieve until you have cause to do so. As Kirislin said a couple of pages back, it is pointless to worry about the inevitable prematurely, accept that it will happen, make sure to give them a good life & allow them to pass on peacefully :rainbowbridge:

I guess right now, my dogs got me through a severe depression from which I am still emerging, and probably saved my marriage because they slowed the slide and helped pull me out. Having said that, I accuse myself of some hyperbole. It will feel unbearable, but I count every day with them as a blessing and a joy. I wouldn't be without them. But I do tend to plan ahead......

Hugs and LOVE

:heart:

Thanks everyone for your support, and hugs to you Sparkycat.

I am pleased to say we have a reprieve. Her good days still outweigh the bad ones, although she had a couple of bad ones in a row which made me panic and prompted my initial post.

Her general health (sight, teeth, heart etc) are fabulous :thumbsup:

Her abdomen is free of any masses (she has ongoing tummy trouble and this is checked regularly, including blood tests)

She is showing signs of the onset of spinal disintegration, and her rear joints are seizing up. Due to her stomach problems most of the anti-inflammatory meds aren't suitable, so we are trying a course of injections - she'll get one a week for four weeks and the effects can last up to six months

So for now we'll see how the injections go and if her mobility improves, and keep a usual watchful eye on her tummy and the sarcoma on her hock. I felt much happier leaving for work this morning - she was snoring her head off sprawled on my bed :laugh:

That's good to hear MW. I wanted to thank you for raising the topic - it is an important one for all of us, I think - and something it is good to have given some thought to in advance.

Yes, you will grieve, you will suffer extreme sadness, we all do, but with time you will realise your life has been enriched by the unconditional love of your companion. Yes, they are gone physically, but the things they have taught us & the memories of the things we love about them stay with us forever.

Trifecta - thank you - that is beautifully put.