Westie With Allergies

2ofthem

Hi everyone, I need some help please

I have two beautiful Westies, three year old female and two year old male. Firstly they are both desexed, they are family members.

My little boy has allergies, after changing vets we made some progress with this. He is on atopica 25mg every second day, for about the last 14 months, it's seems to work well everywhere else but his feet. Both the vet and myself seem to think his allergies are grasses pollens etc. We initially tried an elimination diet with no success. Both dogs have chicken and veg's for dinner with a bone once a week.

He licks his feet a lot, they are orange/red all the time. I've tried washing his feet after walking, I've bought socks for him from Australia and expensive dog booties from USA and they just don't stay on the whole walk.

Has anyone overcome this problem ?

If anyone has some suggestions/answers I'd love to hear them.

Many thanks for reading

I have two beautiful Westies, three year old female and two year old male. Firstly they are both desexed, they are family members.

My little boy has allergies, after changing vets we made some progress with this. He is on atopica 25mg every second day, for about the last 14 months, it's seems to work well everywhere else but his feet. Both the vet and myself seem to think his allergies are grasses pollens etc. We initially tried an elimination diet with no success. Both dogs have chicken and veg's for dinner with a bone once a week.

He licks his feet a lot, they are orange/red all the time. I've tried washing his feet after walking, I've bought socks for him from Australia and expensive dog booties from USA and they just don't stay on the whole walk.

Many thanks for reading

link

When I got Penny (and Mac) a few years back Penny had dreadful skin (hair loss and scabby). After trying different diets and shampoos I found the only thing that helped was a completely raw diet with NO cereals.

It was advised (I had contacted her previous vet at Kenilworth) to keep her off red meats as she had kidney stones removed.

It also helped if I didn't bathe her very often...once her skin cleared up she didn't smell anyhow. If I had known about Calendula petals when I was going through the hell of finding a solution I reckon she would have healed (inside and out) much much quicker.

I now mince up around 15kg of turkey necks at one go (and freeze in lunch-box sized containers) then mix in a good dollop of slops with their mince at each meal.

It is important to add unpasteurised apple cider vinegar to the veges.

Here is an old topic on 'Dog Slops' http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/226201-barf-vegies/page__p__5482993__hl__%2Bdog+%2Bslops__fromsearch__1#entry5482993

Many thanks for reading

Hi....I have a dog with multi allergies too. She is also on Atopica and eats a special diet. What I do for the feet is this....firstly deal with any secondary bacterial infection caused from the licking and chewing by a long course of antibiotics. Ask your vet about using macrolone intermittently ( only when needed for the feet) IN CONJUNCTION with the atopica. I do this and her feet are well under control. The trick is to get it all cleared of infection first so you are starting with a clean slate....then at the first sign of a foot chew give a macrolone tablet of the right strength prescribed by your vet. It's not ideal I know to give these drugs but I find I now rarely have to use it if I get in quickly at the first sign of foot problems. The atopica gives my dog wonderful relief from scratching at her face, mouth and ears and I find that top up with the other drug keeps the feet under control. You will of course get loads of people horrified at all these drugs but until you have owned a dog with severe allergies its hard to understand just how difficult it is to help them. Different things work for different dogs....this approach works for mine...good luck and I hope you get some relief for your dog.