Desexing Pet Male Dogs

kamuzz

There are a few studies around now that suggest it may be beneficial for male dogs to be left entire.

What is your opinion on desexing male dogs (pet only obviously)?

Edited by kamuzz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I desexed my two male mature rescue westies immediately I got them - the first at age six and the second around four or five. For me the question is not if to desex but when. And I think there is growing evidence we are desexing too early - so I'm starting to think not before 12 months or at least not until the growth plates have closed over. I think hormones are probably important to early development.

In an ideal worls I agree that they are best done but not until older, however in a realistic world where more than enough morons with no clue how to properly manage their dogs around I think it's a catch 22 where some are probably better desexed early before that rush of hormones hits...

Personally, I think that pets should be desexed. Whether it be cats, dogs, rabbits or ferrets.

Because if there is a situation where there could be an 'opps' moment. And then suddenly there's a litter that you're partly responsible for, a litter that could have been easily avoided.

There's also that dogs will do anything they can to get to a bitch in heat, some (debatable) increased risk of prostate related diseases amongst other factors.

It's also much cheaper to register a nutured dog over it's lifetime, compared to an entire dog. ($43/year in Brisbane compared to $125)

I feel it's a worthy investment to make..

I usually don't desex my boys but I do have my little fluffy desexed as I have an entire Bulldog bitch and the last thing I want or need is for him to get to her.

I've never had any issues with keeping them entire before. My male Bulldog will remain entire even if not used for breeding. Just my personal preference.

All our pups must be spayed by 6 months unless there is a very good reason not too.

Sadly no matter how good pet owners are our breed is highly sort after by BYB /DD & we have a number of vets who breed & try & convince clients to breed .

If we find we can no longer trust people they will be spayed before they go,we do live in the real world.

We so far have a 100% success rate for over 20 yrs breeding & no health issues with pups spayed.

I do understand in larger breeds spaying latter has its merits but i also fully support early spaying in a world where breeding dogs & creating crosses has become far to easy .

We ourselves spay all our retired showdogs i don't want extra bitches coming in season just for the fun off it

What Kelpiecuddles said !!! Enough clueless dog owners around me who do not desex their dogs - there are both ooops litters in the village and ones who have a litter of little crosses now and then to make a few bux. Roaming entire male dogs is not something I want more of :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edited by frufru

Generally I think all male dogs not to be used for breeding should be desexed.

1. Because dogs are dogs. They will pee on anything they can, hump & do anything to get to a bitch on heat & hormones can cause problem behaviours.

2. Because people are morons. Not everyone but an amazing amount. They let dogs roam loose, a lot, they think a dog has to have sex, its not a man without its testicles, they can't train it not to hump & pee, its a real man dog if it gets a female pregnant.

Little dogs can be desexed young, better wait a bit for bigger dogs probably.

My toy breed are desexed at about 10 weeks due to high demand for poodle crosses & puppy farming being rife for this breed. No problems reported so far for the last 8 years or so.

I too am of the belief that ALL pet dogs (and cats for that matter) should be desexed as soon as is best suited to each individual breed/size. I've seen and heard about so many un-desexed female pet dogs that it makes me wonder. Who wants to deal with the mess a bitch in heat can make each season? Breeders I understand, but the general public?

Male dogs on the other hand … I can see the plus being that they don't have seasons therefore would be perceived as being "easier to live with", however, I personally wouldn't want to risk a dog of mine being driven bat s*** crazy by a nearby bitch in heat. I do also find the look of balls swaying in the breeze unsightly, but that's just me.

The funny thing is, I never saw this bat sh*t crazy of which people speak. Must just have been lucky, but ran 3 large entire males together for years with no issues. Not even with bitches in season in the vicinity. Not even after one was used at stud. The average pet owner may well not manage as well, and certainly should desex if they can't keep them safe, but I found my boys quite delightful.

For me there are a few variables. I booked Bruno in to be desexed, but my vet gave me some studies to read before making a final decision. Including this interesting paper: Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs

Taking into account that my breed is horribly over-represented in many types of cancer (and desexing male dogs seems to increase the risk for many of these) I decided not to castrate him. My vet suggested that desexed dogs are at greater risk of rupturing cruciate ligaments too (sex hormones play a role in keeping ligaments strong?). The compromise we made was to chemically castrate using the Suprelorin implant. I guess time will tell if that was a good idea, and we can always castrate at a later date.

Edited by trinabean

I haven't made up my mind yet. The more research I do, the more I don't want to do it and I don't have the slightest intentions of breeding.

I have decided I will wait at least until 18 months though.

I think there is a wide variety of situations that should be taken into consideration. Some dogs are easy to keep entire and have sensible owners who never have a problem with them. I personally prefer entire males but the ones I have owned as an adult have all been show dogs. We had entire male pets when I was a child so I am used to living with them. If owners prefer the dog to be desexed that is fine and if the dog is being too much of a problem when the hormones kick in, they are better desexed. Escape artists should always be desexed. Breed probably makes a difference too. Many people with the smaller terrier breeds and a few other small breeds, seem to have problems with them marking inside the house. That is not a problem I have ever had with the dogs I have owned. If they are to be desexed I prefer them done after they stop growing but sometimes it needs to be done earlier. I really don't think there can be any hard and fast rule with males.

Coming from horses I am used to the decision being made on the temperament and manageability of each individual animal.

Bitches are a whole different story. I do believe all bitches should be desexed if they are not used for breeding or when they finish being bred. The risk of pyo is just not worth leaving them entire. I prefer bitches to be desexed after they have a season if possible but if that is going to be a problem, they are better done at 6 months.

At the earliest - after maturity which is variable on breed but not before 12 months.

With bitches, if they have an issue that needs it to be done - ie Pyo or at an age when they are too old to breed from.

With Males never unless medically required.

I had one entire male - with an entire bitch - for 4 years, he didn't piss on everything, didn't hump and wasn't an arse. I now have three entire males. The working BC has taken to peeing on wheels so now my other boy does (the pup doesn't mark as yet but is starting to take a keen interest in smelling pee spots) I have bitches in season at the kennels and they still behave don't hump, don't fight or roam. I am yet also to experience this so called arsewipe male dog behaviour. If they are humping, train them not to. I see much of the apparent male dog behavioural flaws as owners lack of training flaws.