Desexing Pet Male Dogs

kamuzz

This breeder also wouldn't reserve a puppy for me or let me choose one ...

just for your information lots of breeders won't let you pick your own puppy and it's not because they are unethical. I wait until I have picked my puppy first and then work on down. Who has show potential, who is outgoing, who needs a laid back pup, who already has a bitch at home so needs a dog pup etc. Lot's of reasons why a breeder won't let a buyer pick a pup.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive heard of others repaying $XXX when the new owners desex the animal after the appropriate age...so they basically pay show dog price for a dog on the ltd register, and after the animal is desexed at 18-24 months, the breeder refunds the difference between a show dog and a pet dog??

For a lot of breeders there is no difference in price. I sell all my pups at the same price. They cost the same to raise. Lots of show quality dogs on Limited register. Limited does not automatically mean lesser quality.

Rebanne I am finding this a lot too, and agree with the thinking they both cost the same to raise/produce

Seems some variation amongst the breeders, as to their desexing and pricing policies :)

Edited by Melsmells

She also likes to desex later for pet homes, but registers on the Ltd register to cover against breeding (I think)

To me this sounds like a fabulous idea...best of both worlds I guess?

Limit register doesn't stop breeding, it's stops registration of pups. With SOME breeds the difference between registered and unregistered really isn't that much so limit register pups are in great demand with BYB in these breeds. And of course with other breeds they are in demand for cross breeding, crossbreds of some breeds being sold (was going to write "worth") for more than purebreds.

Ive heard of others repaying $XXX when the new owners desex the animal after the appropriate age...so they basically pay show dog price for a dog on the ltd register, and after the animal is desexed at 18-24 months, the breeder refunds the difference between a show dog and a pet dog??

:laugh: my show potential pups are either free (in some circumstances) or the same price as pets. The refund idea is valid and a good thought, but again - one litter of unreg'd pups or crossbreds in some breeds is going to get the BYB way way more than the refund will ever be.

Sadly incentives only work on the honest, and all a breeder can do is vet potential homes and try their best to find responsible homes with good people. Thankfully there's still lots of them out there.

There is no one answer and I'm not saying the breeder you have chosen is wrong :)