Invisible Fence

mixeduppup

I have the Innotech brand.

Mine is rechargeable with an optional training remote with adjustable settings.

Rechargeable is certainly better than a battery only one - as I have found the battery ones tend to use odd sized batteries (The flat calculator type or short camera/car remote style) not the common "AAA" or "AA".

I would not recommend them for a primary fence. I have used mine as a secondary fence and have still had them go through the secondary (beep/correction) fence and straight through the sheep mesh and out of the property. The danger here is if they get a fright - bolt straight through the correction line, get a zap which hurts and makes them more fearful, they will not want to come back across the wire. OR - they realise it is only a small zap and are willing to take that punishment as the reward on the other side is FAR greater than the punishment administered.

I have also found the wire they use is pretty thin. It is single core copper wire with a thin plastic coating. I threaded mine through cheap garden irrigation pipe (available at Big W etc) and made my loop around that way. The wire is protected a bit better from the elements and corrosion if there is a nick in the plastic sleeve.

To make a safe zone, you have to loop the wire back and over itself for gates or areas where the dog is allowed to go. If you use a wide buffer or warning area, make sure the "safe zone" does not overlap this. EG - you set up a warning zone of 2m (where the collar may emit a warning tone). Yet a passageway or gate area is only 1m wide, if the dog tries to pass through this, it will still get a zap.

I have also found the dog soon learns when the collar is on and when it is off. You cannot or definitely SHOULD NOT leave the collar on 24/7 as the prongs will cause irritation in the neck from rubbing against the skin. The collar needs to be firm as the prongs have contact with the skin. If you have a long haired dog - you may need to clipper a bit of fur off where the prongs/collar sits so you have contact. So training is absolutely essential. The kits come with warning flags and an instructional DVD/leaflet. IT still comes down to the smarts of the dog too on whether they can figure the loopholes in the system.

I had one border collie, who used to sit in the beep/warning zone until she flattened the battery (as it was only two CR3021 flat things) then go through the fence. Same border collie worked out the solar electric fence unit and when the electric stock fence was on or off. (we have electric fences for the livestock - with one wire at dog height running the perimeter of the stock fences). On a side note, the cattle also worked out the solar electric fence and also when it is on and off.

Awesome thank you. it's only for one of my dogs that developed habits before i got her and although is much better I feel the invisible fence set up around the existing fence will help control her that bit more. Thanks, I'll have a look at that brand. cheers.

Innotech are a bit more expensive. The contain and train component is really good. You can turn on or off the fence part and just train, or contain and train.

If not - I would definitely look at a rechargeable one over a battery one. Or make sure you have a couple spare battery sets available.

Be careful also buying any complete sets on Ebay etc from overseas. It is illegal to import a complete set. They can be sent as components and put together here, but not delivered here complete.

Seriously, I am beginning to think that DOL members have ESP.

One of the things to do today has been check out a suitable car for dog transport. CHECK thread on here started today.

2nd, and more important.... an invisible fence.

So very much appreciated.

:thumbsup::rofl::thumbsup:

New South Wales:Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act 1979 – 2000.Amendment you may use these barriers provided that it be: "...used inside a fence through which animals cannot pass and that is not less than 1.5m high."

Edited by Rozzie

I have good fencing, also electric wire running along the inside but still needed a containment system for one of my dogs. I chose Hidden Fence after researching a lot of them and had them install it for me too, have been very happy with it. It was about $1k supplied/installed for a one acre yard. http://www.hiddenfence.com.au/ You can buy the system and install it yourself though.

Edited by Clyde

New South Wales:Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act 1979 – 2000.Amendment you may use these barriers provided that it be: "...used inside a fence through which animals cannot pass and that is not less than 1.5m high."

Went to Hawkesbury Council. Gave our address. Was advised that a system like Innotech is permitted for the puppy.

I would say it would be essential to check with your council and accurately describe the intended system.

Some Councils will not also accept them as a primary containment system. Don't forget to look also at the local laws as they may give further direction about the use of any of these products (including electric fencing).

Some councils still require adequate fencing as part of their Bi-laws. Most councils, have a look at their bilaws page - most have it on their website pertaining to containment of animals. They will have the relevant state legislation,plus their own additional local laws. You don't want to be going against that as that is where they will fine you.

Where I am, electric fencing is allowed, however for the containment - I am required to have a proper fence as a primary containment. I am on property and have the usual stock fencing for the bulk of the property. I do have a fully fenced dog area and I used the Innotec system as a secondary containment as I had one dog who loved to dig under the fence.

Hi mixeduppup,

I only mentioned the adequate fencing more for any others who may be reading this post and in response to Rozzie's post regarding the NSW state legislation. While most state laws are similar, there are some significant differences in keeping animals, and council by laws can add extra measures over and above the state requirement (such as permits).

Myself and a few other breeder friends have all recently had pup enquiries by people who only had or would install an invisible fence.

That is quite concerning really. I would never recommends these things as a primary form of containment, and some councils do not consider them "adequate fencing". :D

Edited by Mystiqview