Which Puppy Breed Should I Get?

eddie123789

No, probably didn't word my original post correctly. What would the point be of getting a dog be, if when I'm at home it stays in the garage. I would be spending the majority, if not all of my time with the dog out side work and when I'm not sleeping.

Oh so the dog will be in the house with you when you're home?

If the dog is allowed inside when you are at home then I don't see a problem with that.

If you take some time off when you get your puppy, then it is really important you train the puppy to be ok with being alone in your garage/backyard so it's not a shock to the system when you return to work. You do this by starting off with short periods of time with a nice big bone or kong.

Plenty of dogs go just fine with owners who work all day, as long as they get what they need in companionship and stimulation when you are home.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most were trained to competition level and competed in trials, both obedience and agility. I think they were pretty happy.

YES!!

eddie - I also lived in teh suburbs for some time with outside only dogs years ago ...us kids would play with teh dog a lot ..and spend hours in the yard family gardened /grew food, so were outside a lot. I think dog was happy to have some peace at night!!

Things have changed much ...and many of the owners on D O L who work full time spend a HUGE amount of 'spare' time training their dogs /doing dog sports /herding/hiking..all sorts of things .Training is also done in the house /around the shopping centres..all over!

Do I think you're cruel? nope. Uninformed ? Somewhat :)

a GSD is a largeish dog , with an undercoat that needs a lot of grooming, and which falls out . have a read about them here http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/175982-german-shepherd-dog/ nowdays, too- lines of dogs are different from a few generations ago ...and you may find them different to teh ones your family had in the UK ;)

http://www.dolforums...n-shepherd-dog/ there is much discussion, breed traits, health, training needs ..all sorts of good stuff! enjoy :)

Edited by persephone

We are forgetting that the OP is a dude.... My ex-husband spends his entire time in his shed :laugh:

OP might be a dude, but he works 9-5 plus travelling time to be added to that. Not a good scenario for a happy well-adjusted dog.

Disagree. I've worked the entire time I've had dogs. As do the majority of people.

+1

I don't think my guys have even realised I'm home today instead of being at work,

they are going about their normal business.

post-43408-0-21524900-1395284101_thumb.jpg

That's the point. Plural.

Guest donatella

You should look into the Spitz breeds with their double coats and intelligence although I think a lot want to be incorporated into family life. Check out Keeshond, Samoyeds etc

I don't know. I have two and they're with us whenever we are home. It doesnt mean we spend less time with them.

We have sacrificed normal young couple things (im 26 too Eddie) so they don't miss out too much. We don't spend many nights out for dinner, unless there's outside seating. We don't spend much time at friends places where they're not welcome and we don't go off for nice weekend drives without them.

We are up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays for obedience. No more Friday drinkies after work, plus someone has to be home to feed and let them in.

We have to plan holidays well in advance and theres no spontaneous adventures here now!

When we are home, the dogs are inside and with us. They sleep in beds at the foot of ours and heaven knows when the last time I was allowed to go from one room to another alone.

I wouldn't have it any other way but you can't fit a puppy into your life as easy as that. Its work, no matter how ready you think you are its a massive adjustment.

We had rules and ideas on how puppy raising would work, but Gus had other plans. Haha.

Are you guys prepared for massive upheaval? The being raised in a garage thing just leaves me cold, but even saying they'll be allowed in etc, are you really prepared for for how big a change it is? They don't just slot in.

You should look into the Spitz breeds with their double coats and intelligence although I think a lot want to be incorporated into family life. Check out Keeshond, Samoyeds etc

I'd not recommend a double coated dog to someone averse to pet hair eek1.gif

Thank you to all the people who have actually responded to my actual question, I will do some more research into the suggested breeds. I'll defiantly look into the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

And for them who have decided that somebody they don't know much about other than he has a job, shouldn't have a dog, I am aware of the responsibility of raising a dog. It's not something I take lightly.

Not a Samoyed, they shed like demons and wouldn't cope at all being away from the family for long. The yard would be a moon crater and they bark and escape a lot when bored.

Thank you to all the people who have actually responded to my actual question, I will do some more research into the suggested breeds. I'll defiantly look into the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

And for them who have decided that somebody they don't know much about other than he has a job, shouldn't have a dog, I am aware of the responsibility of raising a dog. It's not something I take lightly.

Do your homework on their temperament. RRs are hounds. They aren't the kinds of dogs who will turn themselves inside out for you unless there's something in it for them. That doesn't mean they are untrainable (far from it) but they simply don't live to hang off your every wish.

I imagine that for people used to working dogs like a GSD, that could become quite frustrating.

I dont think anyone was trying to imply you have no idea what you're doing but all we can do is go by the information you gave us and make assumptions. By the wording of your first post (which I dont think actually expressed what you meant properly) nobody really knew what breed to suggest since the situation didnt sound ideal for any breed but you clarified and now we know your original post does not express your intentions/experience properly, hopefully you can get some proper suggestions now :)

Some spitz breeds depending on the weather can blow their coats twice in a year and the amount of hair that comes out is amazing (I have enough I could spin it for knitting). Can't really comment on Kees or Sams but I do know that my Akita likes to be with us or at least be able to see us and since I broke my ankle and haven't been able to do a whole lot with him (exercise wise) he gets kinda depressed some days. Not to mention the Spitz tendency to sometimes say stuff you jack and do whatever they want lol.

--Lhok

The RR is a larger dog than the GSD. Not sure if thats going to be an issue because you said med to large.

There is a LOVELY one at the dog park. He is a huge boy, but so so gentle and well behaved. He listens to every command his owner says.

(unlike mine :o )

I also wouldn't recommend the samoyed to be left alone often. the ones i have now, only 3, but all three have been nuisance barkers and a bit destructive.

This may not be a true representation of the breed, but what i have experienced.

What about a pointer of some sort?

My friend works 9-5 and has a GS pointer, she walks him twice a day, and trains him, but they are low shedding. Active gun dogs, but a GSD is a working breed too, so pretty much the same amount of work required.

Thanks he does look like a nice dog, but we are not yet ready for the dog, I'm thinking for 3-4 months time, we are in the process of moving. I was just doing research so me and my wife can descuss it, and have time to think about our choice.

I also wanted a puppy because I wanted to be responsible for it and the way it is brought up. Just something about bringing my own up from a puppy that I can't really explain.....

And I'm happy to live with the "puppy problems", I guess it's part of the experience and bonding process, watching the dog grow and learn

:)

been there and done that ..the best and closest relationships I had with dogs were the 2 I got when they were adult , for some reason.

How important is the 'do as it's told' factor? Are you after a super obedience competition type dog or just general good house dog manners type stuff?

If the latter a basset may suit you well, mine chills out in the sunshine most of the day and then gets up and goes bushwalking and swimming at the beach with us on the weekend. They are fairly smart but tend to just sort of doing things at their own pace, that said she knows the house rules and happily follows them and is a very easy dog to live with. Her favorite place to be is leaning against your leg. In terms of shedding they do shed but I don't find her shedding to be particularly bad, if I give her a brush with a deshedder once a week she hardly sheds at all.