Which Puppy Breed Should I Get?

eddie123789

I still think that having four dogs together in a backyard is quite different to having one dog alone in a backyard.

It's recently 4 as my youngest is only 5 mths My girls get isolated during seasons with no problem before. I quite often bring one into the house yard during the day or night by itself. I specifically do this to avoid problems if 1 dog has to be by its self for reasons like injuries, visiting dogs (stud dog visits and my male gets put by himself because of the way he acts when a female is in season, he can't be with the other girls due to a dominance frustration with the other male) I alternate who I pen who with if they get anyone. I have a friend who is a breeder who has to isolate her males during seasons of near by females as he attacks any male and tries to mate every female and being staffies this is only going to get him killed.

And up until 4 years ago when I started my kennel I had 1 dog by herself with the same routine no issues.

Isolated dogs will go 2-4 weeks of being by themselves with no issues yes they may get an extra hour of training or play time but otherwise business as usual

Just making note I have no problems or opinions on how people keep their dogs, if your home 24 hours and your dog is with you so be it I do not judge but for others to say that person should not get a dog or hate to be that animal or whatever opinion They have on the matter , is rude and judgmental.

Its one thing to say I don't do that or I do this, then it is to say you are a bad person or you should own a dog. It's condescending and uncalled for.

Big difference to state ones own habits then to Judge someone else.

There is no laws being broken, he hasn't even a dog do get judged on neglect, and there is nothing constructive with one sided views.

Eddie please don't state what you intend of feeding the dog, or what collar if any you intend to have. There would be more judgments imposed.

This site has some great people on it with some great advice and criticism and some others. Look through All constructive comments and skip the others.

Haredown is right Breeders have their ideals as much as the next person, part of looking for a dog is going to be finding a breeder who suits you as much as you suit them. As it is their babies they have a right to their opinion to where their pup goes. Temperament, characteristics, conformation, health and comfort ability with the breeder must all be ticked none of these should be compromised this is your next 10 + years of emotional and financial commitment. Take your time with finding your dog but start looking for a breeder when ever you can.

Edited by Angeluca

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly believe that dogs who are allowed inside when their owners are home get more companionship and feel less lonely than those dogs who don't (especially in the case of them being the only dog).

I firmly believe that companionship is very important to a dog's well being and that most dogs would prefer to spend some hours inside with their owners than none at all (especially if they are an only dog).

Therefore I do try to persuade and convince people to allow their pet dogs inside with them for some time everyday. If that makes me rude and judgemental in some people's eyes then so be it :shrug:

I firmly believe that dogs who are allowed inside when their owners are home get more companionship and feel less lonely than those dogs who don't (especially in the case of them being the only dog).

I firmly believe that companionship is very important to a dog's well being and that most dogs would prefer to spend some hours inside with their owners than none at all (especially if they are an only dog).

Therefore I do try to persuade and convince people to allow their pet dogs inside with them for some time everyday. If that makes me rude and judgemental in some people's eyes then so be it :shrug:

There's an easy solution to the "my dog is happy/prefers it outside" argument. Leave the door open when you get a puppy and let it choose where it wants to be. Then go from there.

Leave the door open when you get a puppy and let it choose where it wants to be. Then go from there.

he,he ..we have multiple dogs which makes BIG difference - BUT our pups race inside..look for food ..grab a toy, & mostly race outside again ....

I've had Poppy in for 2 weeks since her operation. It has been torture. She just wants out! I get Amber in and then I have 2 dogs wanting OUT. Mind you when they are out they are usually sitting and staring at me inside :confused: Dogs :laugh:

My dogs are crazy ! In the summer they have easy access to outside but prefer to stay inside and in the winter they want to stay outside in the rain and cold :confused:

Atm they are with me on my bed snoring away :laugh: I'm surprised they aren't outside as it's been raining this afternoon.

I have to keep the door shut if I want Treble to stay inside :( he really does prefer to be outside on the deck stretched out on the sun bed. He will come in and stay for a bit but he much prefers to do his own thing watching up from high outside, I think he just like looking over people's back fences the snoop that he is..

--Lhok

I leave my door open, my dogs stand at the door and look in and wag their tails but they generally won't come in LOL

Try it with a pup, rather than a dog accustomed to certain 'rules'.

I have a dog door so my dogs get to choose. On sunny days, the Whippets spend a fair bit of time outside, but they are inside at night. Colder days all inside.

Poodles are mostly inside, especially if I am home.

Mine too, Aussie. They go outside for zoomies, shell pool and to chew bones. The rest of the day is strictly couch time.

Yup. Our day goes thus:

Stick wet nose in owners sleeping face - brekkie - zoomies - sleep on couch (all day) - dinner - zoomies - sleep on owners (all night) :laugh:

Even as a pup my basset would do that, I think maybe I have a 'look' that says "just you wait until you're invited" LOL It's not something I ever really trained though, they come over to see what I'm doing, wag their tail at me and smile and then go back to sleeping in the sunshine, they do sometimes potter in but never for long, we have long lush green grass and sunshine, I'd be lying out in it if I had the time!

Edited by kelpiecuddles

It's not rude nor judgmental to say you believe, or that's what you do. What is rude and judgmental is people say

You should not get a dog cause you can't care for it right or that's irresponsible to never have them inside or how cruel or how dare you.

It becomes judgmental when it becomes a direct attack, a statement of generalization but in a derogatory way.

Your believe is perfectly fine and explaining why you believe it is perfectly fine, if you were to forcibly impose your believes and/or add statements of a judgmental manner as stated above it becomes rude and judgmental.

And for some as haredown stated find out what your dog wants, is fine too but for some. Some people do not want the dog inside, their right not to be judged on that. Some people can not have the dog inside or they risk loosing their home in a breach of conditions. Their right is also not to be judged.

A dog in a house doesn't not define good ownership nor good socialization, there is no reliable facts to say it does. So to THOSE only making the actual judgments are who my comments are directed to.

Mine too, Aussie. They go outside for zoomies, shell pool and to chew bones. The rest of the day is strictly couch time.

Yup. Our day goes thus:

Stick wet nose in owners sleeping face - brekkie - zoomies - sleep on couch (all day) - dinner - zoomies - sleep on owners (all night) :laugh:

Wow. Ours have the same schedule! Haha.

You forgot the half hearted, bleary eyed stumble outside for a wee JUST off the decking and back to bed.

He chose for himself, he had full run of the house and yard when we bought him home, cardinal sin as it may be, he sorted himself out pretty well I'd say! I'd swap lives with him, for sure!