Feeding Raw Eggs To Dogs

Thanks Steve for your sensible, educational post. I truly get sick of hearing the scare stories about giving dogs raw eggs because of a)avidin and b)salmonella.

Eggs have the perfect balance of Avidin and Biotin. The acidic digestive system of healthy dogs is perfectly equiped to cope with the Salmonella bacteria.

I've been giving my dogs raw eggs since they were tiny pups. They have not been struck down with Salmonella poisoning and they have the lovely shiny coats that feeding raw eggs seems to produce.

That's what I thought, after all, some dogs bury their bones for later, sometimes up to a week or more. Puppy heaven & nothing happens to them, their digestive systems are designed to cope with it.

I read about not feeding your dog raw eggs on this forum: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/81686-general-heath-information/

Eggs (Raw)

Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. Additionally, raw eggs are often contaminated with bacteria, such as salmonella, and you could end up giving your dog food poisoning in addition to biotin deficiency.

Symptoms of biotin depletion are hair loss, weakness, growth retardation and skeleton deformity. If your dog is suffering from these symptoms the situation is urgent, and veterinary treatment is needed. Cooked eggs are high in protein and make an excellent treat. It is only the raw eggs that should not be given to your dog

egg yolks are high in biotin thereby negating the egg white.

I guess the first sentence of the eggs post says only raw egg whites shouldn't be giving to your dog but the end statement says raw eggs shouldn't be given so I was being over cautious. There are alot of myths out there and my vet has never mentioned raw eggs being harmful.

I love making and eating chocolate mousse and tiramisu (raw eggs) and my fried/poached eggs always have soft yolks. No salmonella infection for me or my guests so I reckon the dogs should cope just fine considering all the other disgusting things they eat and roll in!

Yeah makes you ask what people think is in poo - most dogs love eating that too. rofl1.gif

When we were kids if we ever got sick to help us recuperate we would be given an egg flip - milk, sugar, raw egg and vanilla whisked up in a big milk shake

Mum used to say the enzymes in the raw egg did something miraculous and it always seemed to work - must research that one of these days now you mention it.

Tks all, especially Steve, just what I was after.

So today they had about a dozen quail eggs (each). Happy faces. Except Frodo, he doesn't do egg shell, not even tiny ones, had to break his for him. He's now qualifies to be among the frail aged, so I hope upping his egg quota gives him an extra lease, and I'll work on the devious egg-shell feeding.

I wish the myth would die. It was based on one single study when egg whites only were fed in a diet which was already biotin deficient. Sure if you are feeding raw egg whites only and no meat then yes that is not a good idea! But somehow Chinese whispers converted that to 'eggs are bad'. As mentioned, feed the whole egg in a diet that also contains meat etc (which also contains biotin which is a type of bit B) and no issue. My dogs eat plenty of eggs from our chooks here too.

I love making and eating chocolate mousse and tiramisu (raw eggs) and my fried/poached eggs always have soft yolks. No salmonella infection for me or my guests so I reckon the dogs should cope just fine considering all the other disgusting things they eat and roll in!

Yeah makes you ask what people think is in poo - most dogs love eating that too. rofl1.gif

My theory is that they've been reading about fecal transplants and, in order to achieve more perfect digestive systems, want to gain micro-organisms from as many species as possible. The idea of probiotics for dogs amuses me. All the dogs I've owned are aggressive in searching out additions to their gut flora (much to my disgust).

Vets tell me that healthy dogs over 4 mo can cope with Salmonella . . . so concern over freshness of eggs is unnecessary, except for pups.

Nothing to add in regards to eggs for the dogs but instead of throwing eggs out feed them to the chooks its good for them too, just make sure that the shells are crushed up so they dont recognise them as eggs.

• 1 month later...

I know the post is a little old now and that the OP said they wouldn't cook the eggs for the dogs but Scottie LOVES a soft fried egg with the warm yolk mixed through this breakfast (Ziwipeak if he's getting egg).

Happens approx 1- 2 times a month around here. Usually when we're having bacon and eggs.

nom nom nom

I know the post is a little old now and that the OP said they wouldn't cook the eggs for the dogs but Scottie LOVES a soft fried egg with the warm yolk mixed through this breakfast (Ziwipeak if he's getting egg).

Happens approx 1- 2 times a month around here. Usually when we're having bacon and eggs.

nom nom nom

Bloody hell, I'd be tempted with that dish LOL

nom nom nom

Yep Yep.

Venison and Fish Ziwi served with a side of warm, soft fried egg and if Mummy is being generous some bacon.

Life is good when you're a fox terrier.

Just remember not a good idea to feed raw eggs with immuno suppressed people around or give to immuno suppressed dogs (especially puppies) due to salmonella risk. Older healthy dogs seem to handle it fine though you can also be super safe and cook the eggs :)

nom nom nom

Yep Yep.

Venison and Fish Ziwi served with a side of warm, soft fried egg and if Mummy is being generous some bacon.

Life is good when you're a fox terrier.

I use the same Ziwi as training treats for my husky, and it really does smell good enough for me to eat :laugh: Your combo would push me over the edge of temptation :laugh:

Ronin loves raw eggs in shell, I gave him a couple of quail eggs the other day - that I stole from the fridge so the Mrs didn't catch me :laugh: boy-oh-boy, they went down a treat. I am led to believe that quail eggs have loads more of the good stuff within.

I often bring up shells and keep handy to add a pinch or two to mince when he gets that. Our vet made a commend that mince can have a negating effect on calcium levels. I haven't researched this though and I am sure that the small amount of added shells cannot be a bad thing when added to lean best quality human grade mince. I would be interested to hear if anyone has heard this about mince.

Just remember not a good idea to feed raw eggs with immuno suppressed people around or give to immuno suppressed dogs (especially puppies) due to salmonella risk. Older healthy dogs seem to handle it fine though you can also be super safe and cook the eggs :)

I didn't know this, our pup had eggs since very early on, but he has a gut like a steel trap.