A Good Breed For Someone With Anxiety?

kiwifeathers

Hi all, one of my good friends who has social anxiety disorder is interested in getting a dog as a companion and to provide emotional support. In particular, she is very unnerved living alone, especially at night and would like a dog large enough to at least deter someone from intruding, it doesn't have to actually be a guard dog, just give at least an illusion of protection to her, if that makes sense? She is very good with animals, grew up with dogs big and small, and has worked in a boarding kennels. I've noticed she is a lot more confident out and about with other people when she has a dog with her, something to draw attention away from her and to talk about. She was even downright chatty when she came to a dog show with me once!

She lives in a house and has a large well fenced (I'd say probably 6-foot?) yard. The dog probably won't be alone for more than 4 or so hours in a day, as she only works part time (though she isn't working currently due to unrelated health issue), and I'm happy to bring mine over for playtime as well. Dog will sleep inside and have indoor/outdoor access during the day. She really wants a pure-bred puppy, as she is interested in getting into showing as a confidence builder and this will be her first solo dog and she wants to raise one from the start. Obviously every dog is unique but in general she is looking for something that will meet the following:

- Large enough to deter someone, but not necessarily a guarding breed.

- Affectionate, fairly calm and steady as an adult, not typically hyper breeds.

- Not wire-coated or otherwise needing lots and lots of complicated grooming work, remembering she is interested in getting into showing. She is ok with needing a little trimming or needing brushing regularly. Doesn't want crazy mad shedding, but can deal with a moderate amount.

- Barking for a reason is fine, but not anything yappy for no reason.

- Doesn't have to like small animals, but needs to be ok with other dogs in general, she doesn't need the stress of a dog trying to attack another while out walking.

- She is ok with dogs aloof with strangers, but does have friends and family visiting fairly often, so dog needs to be able to cope with that.

- Dog needs to be ok with at least one, but more likely 2 leisurely 30min-say an hour ling walks a day. Not interested in having to go running with the dog really. Happy with breeds that have to stay on leash if they must but there are plenty of off-leash areas around too.

I think this is it, but will add to it if I think of anything more she said. I've told her a couple of ideas I had, but she'd like to hear what "those dog forum people say" too haha.

Edited by kiwifeathers

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saint Bernard! :) I very rarely suggest my own breed but in your friend's circumstance I think one would fit perfectly.

- Definitely large enough to deter someone; although not a typical guarding breed they can be protective of their families. A deep warning bark from a Saint would have anyone second guessing their actions.

- Super affectionate and friendly, and very calm as adults.

- Minimal grooming is required with a smooth Saint. A rough takes more to keep their coat looking nice and tangle-free but it's not anything tricky or complicated, even for the show ring. Show potential pups do become available from time to time too. (Some other breeds they seem to always be out of reach.) Shedding is quite heavy though.

- Only ever barks for a reason, not yappy at all.

- Typically brilliant with other dogs and animals, including small pets.

- Will welcome friends and family into your house.

- Perfectly suited to a leisurely walk although not too long or too far in the first 18 months while the skeleton is still developing.

As for a confidence boost, not many other breeds draw as much attention as a Saint. Everyone will stop your friend to ask a million questions about "the bear" and everyone will want a pat and cuddle. A Saint will adore being the centre of her world, they are incredibly loving and loyal.

I'm tempted to say Labrador. My old Lab would certainly have fit the bill. Generally I find Labs don't bark too much but when they do, it's an impressive bark :D

BLACK Labrador. I have no idea why but the standard public perception is that black dogs are "scarier".

W

Many breeds would suit but given she may want to show then that could narrow the choices of what will suit both ,

Knowing what breeds interest her would really be more helpful & give an idea of what path she is heading down .

Most of the wants on her list are all about training

My friend has anxiety and PTSD and had a dogue and he's brilliant. very level-headed and calm.

Not a breed I'd recommend for an hour's walking a day though.

She does that with her dog most days, 30 mins morning and afternoon, depending on weather.

Edited by mixeduppup

I'd suggest a black greyhound. NZ has a GAP program. I'd skip the showing bit, it's pretty full on. If she got, say a lab, could she deal with the whispers and rumors that could potentially start up? Whether her dog was good, bad or average.

Groenendael - Belgian Shepherd.

I have serious anxiety issues etc and Ivy is my guardian.

She's protective of the yard and house; she does guard/warning bark really well. Most people are scared of her as she's jet black and looks like a wolf but she's a teddy bear. She will happily chill out on the couch to watch a movie but the moment you are ready to do something; she's ready!

Grooming is simple, she just needs a brush once a fortnight and every couple of days during her yearly-ish shed. No trimming or shaving. Doesn't shed unless she's moulting, and then it is only when you give her a really good rub.

My partner works late at times and has worked away up north. I have felt very safe with Ivy.

Plus her character makes the most awful of days sunny.

I'm happy to chat privately too :)

Sounds like a perfect home for many different breeds.

Ditto.

She just needs to get out and about to places where there are lots of dogs of different breeds running around - borrowing one of yours, kiwifeathers, :laugh: :cry: to give her the confidence to do so.

Good luck - hope the ideal companion is found soon and that you keep us informed. :thumbsup:

Rotty.

Black lab.

Bull terrier , ( people are very scared of them, but you need a good breeder, they vary in temp and activity levels.)

Cattle dog?

I have 2 of the above, and as a single female are very happy I do, ,top of the list is my next breed too.

Just wanted to add I have a neighbour with a Belgian, and yes people are very wary of her, but she has been a handful for her to handle ,and only now with lots of professional help has she started to control her.She has boundless energy.

Edited by juice

Groenendael - Belgian Shepherd.

There is a lady in my neighbourhood with three Belgians but I have forgotten whether they are Groenedaels - I think they might be. They are lovely dogs and from what I've seen of them, would tend to believe you are spot on.

Groenendaels are the jet black, with a small white mark on their chest type :)

Just wanted to add I have a neighbour with a Belgian, and yes people are very wary of her, but she has been a handful for her to handle ,and only now with lots of professional help has she started to control her.She has boundless energy.

Oh really? Is she a Groenendael? She may be from a working line of dogs ... To which I wouldn't recommend for this type of home.

My experience with the Groenendael has been magical.