Dogs In Will?

Del678

Interesting and relevant topic.

I 'inherited' Lucky when my Uncle passed away. The original plan was to rehome him via my rescue contacts, but he's ended up being a permanent fixture in my pack. Lucky's predicament did prompt a couple of conversations with my family as to what would happen to my animals (dogs/horses/cat) if I passed away. The immediate reaction from a close family member shocked and deeply hurt me actually. Obviously, I didn't expect them to take all my dependents on, BUT I did think that given my cirle of contacts, including long time friends, both in animal sports and rescue, it might been a bit of a hint about who to contact for help finding new homes. NOPE! :(

Discuss carefully with your friends too. Sure, people would be prepared to take on my horses because they would be easy to on-sell, but that misses the point entirely for me. I'd hope my friends would assist to find new homes for my dogs, but I can't think of any who would actually want to keep one of them for themselves if I'm brutally honest.

I feel the best option for me is to stipulate in a will that any surviving animals are rehomed via rescues I specifically name.

As others have said, never just assume the people will abide your wishes once your gone.

S

Sheilaheel02, your post is just so so important for people to read. It is all very well for someone to say: oh, my family/friends/neighbours just love my dogs. I know they will be looked after if something happens to me.

Different story if something does happen. Suddenly people are faced with the prospect of adding one or more dogs/cats/birds/other pet to an already settled household.

I have five dogs and one cat. The youngest dog is 10 and the cat is 15+. Who would want to take on those unless I provided funds for someone to do so. No one that I can think of.

Thanks DD,

That wasn't the most comfortable thing to write, but I hope it might help someone else.

I will also share another cautionary tale. Quite a few years ago a well respected person in the trialing fraternity fell ill and then sadly passed away. This person had lovely dogs with proven performance lines behind them. A short time after the person passed I just happened to be collecting a rescue dog from the pound. I had just loaded my new foster dog up when another vehicle pulled up in the car park. Two people got out and removed a couple of beautifully groomed and behaved purebred dogs out of the vehicle. I didn't approach but watched closely as they took the dogs into the pound and left again without them. Something in my gut just didn't feel right, so I made a few phone calls asking where the dogs were that belonged to the person who had passed away. I was told they were supposed to be safe with family members. I relayed what I'd just seen and requested some double checking. Very quickly some caring and concerned individuals intervened to identify the dogs, remove them from the pound and place them appropriately.

I know grief, pain and distress can cause people to do some strange things and not always make rational decisions but this situation really disappointed me. I will never forget it.

In contrast, more recently, we sadly lost another trialing person and family, friends, breeders and fellow trialers all worked together to ensure the dogs were placed in loving, appropriate homes.

S

I know grief, pain and distress can cause people to do some strange things and not always make rational decisions but this situation really disappointed me. I will never forget it.

Shocking story, Sheilaheel02. How lucky were those dogs!! I'm sure it happens more than we will ever know, hence I am always harping on the need to have it all in writing and spoken about.

I haven't thought about it, to be honest. I'm only 26, but the shite happens point has been made and I guess we should think about it.

I wouldn't leave them with mum, nor many of my friends. Particularly the crazy dog. Best friend would be happy to take cats.

Got some thinking to do!

I only have two dogs now, both middle aged, and when I pop off (not yet for a while, I hope) it's in my will that they are PTS.

I've done the same Pebbles. I'm getting on in age now and my 2 dogs are 9yo(deaf girl) and a 10yo well behaved boy. I don't trust my family members will take care of them and I don't want my elderly dogs ending up in the pound. They're used to being very important beings in my life and used to being cared for with love. I've stipulated in my will they are to be PTS at my vets who the dogs know.

I haven't thought about it, to be honest. I'm only 26, but the shite happens point has been made and I guess we should think about it.

I wouldn't leave them with mum, nor many of my friends. Particularly the crazy dog. Best friend would be happy to take cats.

Got some thinking to do!

Yep and that's the thing Steph, unfortunately things happen no matter the age. My friends love my greyhounds but I know for sure not one of them that live here near me would be able to look after them how I want them looked after nor would they want to so they ALL know where my dogs will go. There's no doubt in my mind they know what to do though as I sometimes randomly question them "where will Stan and Maddie go if I cark it?" they reply in a robotic voice " Maddy in Tasmania" lol