Getting Your First Show Quality Pup

Homeriver

I have owned a labrador for a couple of years now and absolutely love her. She is on the main register but I have been doing some research and thinking that she may not be up to show quality (i have never shown dogs before). I would love to one day show and breed a lab but I am finding it hard to find a breeder willing to even give me some advice let alone sell me a show quality pup. How do you go about obtaining top quality dogs as I wouldn't want to breed or show anything not up to breed standards? Hopefully there is someone out there willing to give a new guy a hand? I am keen to learn and willing to listen to all constructive critisism.

Hi there :wave:

First step perhaps - talk to your girl's breeder? Do they show their dogs? They may be able to assess your girl or suggest someone who could assess your girl for you.

That way you will know if it is worthwhile having a go at showing your girl. It could be a good way for you to start, even if you have no plans of breeding her.

Even if she is not a top show dog, if she is reasonable it may be a good way to start to see if you like showing and whether you want to continue with another dog.

If you don't plan on breeding her, having her desexed if she is not already may work in your favour with other breeders, particularly if you are looking to get a male (you can always show her in neuter classes too).

Just to get into the mind of breeders for a minute, they may possibly be wary of selling you a male in particular if you have an entire female and are an 'unknown' out of fear that you will breed them.

(I don't know where your girl is from or what she is like, but if you have mentioned you want to breed, this may be something they are wary of)

Have you done anything apart from showing with your girl? Doing things like obedience/agility etc is a good way to get started too, and something you can do with her (and will all be good knowledge for you if you plant to breed eventually).

Best thing I can suggest is to make friends with a breeder whose dogs you like. Talk to them a lot. Friend them of facebook even if they are open to that. let them get to know you and you get to know them.

And be prepared to wait for the right puppy. It can be a slow process, requiring plenty of patence particularly if you are after a dog to show as there may only be a small number of dogs in any one litter that are considered suitable - and the breeder may want to keep at least one of them.

See if you can go along to a few shows to watch and/or help someone out.

There is a FB page called 'Australian Dog Show Newbies' that you may find interesting too and you may get some ideas there.

Join the Labrador Club (if not one in your state, join one in another state perhaps) and join some educational (not just pet) forums for your breed if you can find some.

Basically get involved. Have fun!

I have owned a labrador for a couple of years now and absolutely love her. She is on the main register but I have been doing some research and thinking that she may not be up to show quality (i have never shown dogs before). I would love to one day show and breed a lab but I am finding it hard to find a breeder willing to even give me some advice let alone sell me a show quality pup. How do you go about obtaining top quality dogs as I wouldn't want to breed or show anything not up to breed standards? Hopefully there is someone out there willing to give a new guy a hand? I am keen to learn and willing to listen to all constructive critisism.

Start with what people are prepared to sell to you and work your way up. Few people are going to sell the best they have to a newb. Too many talk the talk, find showing all too hard and quit. You may have to settle for a decent prospect and use that dog as a stepping stone. Frankly I'd be starting with the dog you have now.

Go to shows. Go to a specialty. Read everything you can on the breed. Then figure out who has the dogs you like and approach them.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Thanks to you both. I'll get back to the breeder of my bitch and see if they can assess her for me (they live on the other side of the country so I hope photos will be ok). If it is a case of working my way up, I am quite happy to do so as I think this would be a rewarding experience. Hopefully I can get along to a couple of shows and meet some people and see what it's all about. If I was to show my girl, who I think is lovely and from what I've read to me she fits within all the breed standards, and not do well, would this make other breeders less likely to sell to me?

Thanks to you both. I'll get back to the breeder of my bitch and see if they can assess her for me (they live on the other side of the country so I hope photos will be ok). If it is a case of working my way up, I am quite happy to do so as I think this would be a rewarding experience. Hopefully I can get along to a couple of shows and meet some people and see what it's all about. If I was to show my girl, who I think is lovely and from what I've read to me she fits within all the breed standards, and not do well, would this make other breeders less likely to sell to me?

Depends a bit on why you didn't do well. If you handle her well and she's just not competitive, I doubt people would be concerned.

If you showed her dirty, poorly prepared and were a slob and an utter klutz and a tanty chucking poor loser, they might be a bit less impressed laugh.gif

But frankly I think you just have to get out there and become known for who you are and people will be more relaxed with a known quantity.

Some of us are lucky to start with a really cracking dog but I think most of us earn our dues on good, if not outstanding dogs.

I think it's hard getting a show quality dog when you are new, especially in popular breeds. Hamish is my show dog, the only one I have so the one who gets shown - certainly there are a lot of other people out there who wouldn't put him in the show ring but I don't have a choice and I think he is a good example of the breed (not the best example, but a good one). He is the second dog I got from the same breeder. My girl I got 4.5 years ago, she is on Limit, but I kept in touch with the breeder and let her know what I was doing with Kenz. She heard about every sucess and also some of the failures!! So when the time came that I was looking for a new pup I went back to her (for a few reasons) and discussed whether I could have Hamish on Main so that I could show him. He wasn't pick of the litter, but I got 2nd pick of the boys (I wanted a boy) and chose him under her guidance. I think something else if you are wanting a dog to show is being prepared that there may be some conditions attached to that. For me the conditions are that Hamish's registration is marked as not for export and not for breeding. Agreeing to this meant that I could have him in my name solely and he is totally owned by me. If when he is older and we think he is right for it my breeder can change his registration so that he can be bred from (personally for me it would only be if I was looking for a puppy from him that I would want this done anyway). But to get a dog/bitch on Main register you might need to agree to a co-ownership (and that's another conversation altogether!!).

I would say get in touch with the breeder your girl is from. Think about getting a boy to start showing (a lot of breeders tend to be happier to do this). Get along to some shows and make friends with people in the breed, particularly if you interested in their dogs, I now have a few people I would also consider getting a pup from and now that I have a relationship with them would be in a better position to have a conversation about this as they know me and know what I do with my dogs.

Might sound weird but I would also suggest that if you are on facebook join up with the Aussie labrador breed pages, show newbies pages, etc and just get involved in conversation, chat and learn. I've been doing this for about 18 months now and one amazing breeder who I don't even know in real life has already offered me a pup, timing was wrong but that pup has gone on to big things! I'm hopeful now that when the timing is right that breeder might have something that's just what I'm after :)

Good luck!

I could write a long post about my own journey but basically my first dog was pure luck - I know NOW that not many breeders will sell a show potential bitch on mains. In Cleo's case, I never set out to get a show dog and didn't even know what mains registration was. I learnt a lot in 2011 :laugh:

But my second dog, was planned long in advance and I had a fairly good idea of what I wanted. The breeder and I knew each other through a facebook group for our breed (a great resource) and also because we bought litter sisters - which we never knew until we met on this FB group. We had a good dialogue and she knew/knows my plans and now really enjoys watching her pup grow up through my prolific photo posting. I think also, that she "knew" me for quite some time before I approached her about the litter and had an idea of what I do with my dogs (eg. I show, I've started obedience and agility)

I can't express how amazing FB has been for introducing me to people that I may never have met otherwise. I've talked with breeders in Tassie (where my girls come from) to WA and closer to home in NSW.

I get my goldens assessed by a Lad breeder in my area. I could ask if she could look at some pictures for an outsider view, I can't promise she will nor can i promise she will think photos are good enough as she is very thorough.

Showing isn't the only way to breed. But Conformation is very important maybe talk to a gun dog judge in your area to do a physical exam as well. Or another pleasant gun dog breeder who is willing to help, also people have their own styles even judges so what you get scratched at one show may dominate at another. Plenty of ways to find out her conformation with out pinning her against others.

I have my opinion on some shows and their outcomes, which I will not go into. But if your showing and not doing well for any reason other than bad faults, there should be no reason not to start your kennel with her. You still have obedience, agility if you want to compete which I recommend with such a common breed. Temperament, conformation (competed or not) and health testing are the main focus. A title in any ability will open doors. But my point is she doesn't need one just need to tick the boxes and go from there.

Study the hell out of labs, different styles and genetic lines. Find out everything about her lines, google and prefixes are great for that. Ring breeders back in her lines ask bout any major health issues they have had or heard of. Get as many opinions as possible as gossip and tarnishing for selfish reasons are a big problem. Avoid mentioning who you have already spoken to and bitchiness from name dropping is a problem too. You see the ones willing to help, they are kind don't usually speak of others nasty even if they aren't a fan of their style. If you are told to avoid anyone do you own research and make up your own mind about them.

Find out as much as possible, and you'll see the clicky groups and so forth and so on. Look at these peoples' dogs do you like their style do they match your lines, Most people are willing to stud to anyone who has a good enough bitch not to tarnish their stud.

Showing and Breeding is so much more then just the dogs. I've seen it bring out the best in people and I've seen it ruin lives dogs and humans. If you don't have a thick skin don't enter the show ring the better your dog is the worst the nasty ones become.

Edited by Angeluca

Showing and Breeding is so much more then just the dogs. I've seen it bring out the best in people and I've seen it ruin lives dogs and humans. If you don't have a thick skin don't enter the show ring the better your dog is the worst the nasty ones become.

I prefer to think of it as maintaining perspective rather than getting a thick skin. Far easier to deal with the slings and arrows by seeing those who fire them for what they are rather than trying to ignoring them.

Success brings jealousy and bitchiness from the small and nasty minded in all things, not just the show ring.

The Lab people in WA are very helpful & approachable .

Have you been down to shows ??

Have you looked at joining the Lab club in WA ??

As for showing bringing out the nastiness ,dog showing isn't an elite group to this behavior ,it happens every day in all walks of lifes & situations .

No sport or activity is immune to it

I have been hesitant about showing because I've heard it can be pretty full on. I would love to be more involved in the breed and would like to know what to look for as far as conformation goes. I know what I like, but would like to know I am doing the right thing by the breed in selecting dogs I may want to use for breeding. Showing would be great fun I think, I just wasn't sure if it was acceptable to go if you weren't really sure on what you're doing. I think I will go along to a couple and see for myself what the "welcome" is like. Temperament has always been the major priority for me as my dog is a family pet and I think if your dog is enjoyable to be around you will naturally spend more time with them. Thanks to all willing to give me advice. Some handy tips. I'll have a look on FB and maybe try to find a lab club too.

I have been hesitant about showing because I've heard it can be pretty full on. I would love to be more involved in the breed and would like to know what to look for as far as conformation goes. I know what I like, but would like to know I am doing the right thing by the breed in selecting dogs I may want to use for breeding. Showing would be great fun I think, I just wasn't sure if it was acceptable to go if you weren't really sure on what you're doing. I think I will go along to a couple and see for myself what the "welcome" is like. Temperament has always been the major priority for me as my dog is a family pet and I think if your dog is enjoyable to be around you will naturally spend more time with them. Thanks to all willing to give me advice. Some handy tips. I'll have a look on FB and maybe try to find a lab club too.

What you like & what the breed standard is two things.

You need to understand the breed standard & see where she fits in .

The Lab people are helpful but i would suggest when at shows don't invade there time or space.They will be busy with there own dogs getting ready for the ring ,go watch .

They will be honest though in there opinions so be prepared to hears things you may not want to hear or you may be lucky & she be special .The breeders will also look at what health testing she has had done & what testing the parents have had as to clear by parentage .If your breeder is a good showie they should be able to help anyway or suggest people to talk with

The Lab club have there champ show on the 14 June ,starts at 9.30 am .

The Gundog club has a show on the 3 May starts at 9.30 am .

These two shows are good to see numbers but not for talking as many are also committee.

Plenty of other shows coming up ,they are a very social group who enjoy there shows to catch up with friends .

I would make contact with the Lab club

The Lab folk turn up to all the shows

I prefer to think of it as maintaining perspective rather than getting a thick skin. Far easier to deal with the slings and arrows by seeing those who fire them for what they are rather than trying to ignoring them.

Success brings jealousy and bitchiness from the small and nasty minded in all things, not just the show ring.

Very true on all counts. I wasn't meaning ignore it (personally I'm not that type of person) However I have seen some people emotionally destroyed by the goings on of a very few.

If your not one to walk off, or bite back and wander off home like nothings happen then showing can be pretty harsh environment.

I think one of the best things you can do is become involved with the Lab club, go to shows, join breed forums and talk to breeders and other exhibitors and let them see that you are really interested in the breed and showing. If breeders can see that you are genuinely interested in learning and in being a serious breed enthusiast they may be more willing to help you.

I know what you mean - but do have to say, if someone offers you a show QUALITY puppy, run away very fast. The best you can ask for is show POTENTIAL and no one can promise more.

I second showing your current dog - win loose or draw you will get an idea of whether this is something you actually want to do because there's not a lot of sports you can decide you like "playing" if you've never played :laugh:

If you intend to spay her, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do this and show her in neuter, but if you are still undecided that's fine too.

Don't go expecting to win best in show, but treat every show as an educational opportunity and you'll be surprised what might happen.

If your not one to walk off, or bite back and wander off home like nothings happen then showing can be pretty harsh environment.

On the other hand, spending the day surrounded by fellow dog tragics, admiring beautiful dogs, learning about unfamliar breeds and working toward being a well trained dog and handler team can be very enjoyable.

Winning might simply be the icing on the cake.

It really is all about perspective. If you go in expecting to see nastiness and bitching, you'll find it. Its what else you expect and look for that helps balance out the behaviour of the minority of tools.

IMO the two key ingredients to becoming a successful exhibitor are friends and knowledge. Around the show ring is where to find them and hopefully also the mentor you will require to become a knowledgeable and successful breeder. It can be done via breed specific activities also but you won'f find these things in your back yard.

I will warn you though, sometimes you go in with one breed and end up committing to another - there are so many fabulous breeds out there that your average dog owner doesn't get to meet.

My current dog was given to me (no money changed hands and we have a formal co-ownership agreement) by a breeder who "never sells to show homes". There is no way in hell I would have him now if I hadn't earned my stripes and met people through showing my first show dog in this breed. Careful breeders place their pick dogs equally carefully - you will need to be a known quantity or have people vouch for you to be considered by some breeders Rightly so, they don't pour time and effort into creating a bloodline to see it squandered. In my case, the owner of my dog's sire made the introductions.

Thanks everyone. I can't seem to load any pics. I think they are too big? Sounds like I'm off to have a look at some clubs and shows. I'll go in open minded and maybe even take my girl and see what happens. I'm fine with copping a bit of critasism if she doesn't make the grade. We'll always love her as our pet anyway and it will help me to know what to look for next time. Who knows she might even surprise me, I am just assuming because I didn't specify wanting a show dog, that I probably didn't get one. Also I think I'll have to work on this standing business. Trying to take photos to put on here and she kept sitting (which has been her training so far).