Agility Nationals 2014

Hi everyone! Sorry if there is already a thread on this, I did a quick search and couldn't find one, but I thought it'd be good to have a thread for those going to the Nationals in Brisbane this year to help each other out with any queries. I am so excited, I've only ever been in Cairns agility trials, so this will be huge for me! Who else is going?

And for the first query...are there any accommodation recommendations? I didn't send my camping form in until January, thinking it was plenty of time, but it wasn't :o I have just emailed about the Ipswich showgrounds, but failing that, are there any other nearby-ish places that anyone could recommend please?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with my two dogs. I think I am going to be pretty busy running both of them with all the rings they have :laugh: I am staying with a friend at a motel (not sure which one) but she has had it booked for twelve months. The weekend before the Nationals we have the 3 day NSW Northern Regional being held at our home town (Glenreagh)which is going to be huge this year because of the Nationals being held a few days later, so by the end of the two weeks I am really going to be knackered :eek:

I'm going with my two dogs. I think I am going to be pretty busy running both of them with all the rings they have :laugh: I am staying with a friend at a motel (not sure which one) but she has had it booked for twelve months. The weekend before the Nationals we have the 3 day NSW Northern Regional being held at our home town (Glenreagh)which is going to be huge this year because of the Nationals being held a few days later, so by the end of the two weeks I am really going to be knackered :eek:

Yes I am finding the prospect of different rings running at the same time a bit daunting :laugh: That sounds awesome the trial in your home town! A shame it's further south for me otherwise I would've come :laugh: Might see you there then! I will have my Aussie (who looks just like the red tri border in your sig!) and my mad little schip :)

That's a bummer TSD, but retrieving nationals will be great too :)

Is there anything in particular I should be doing in preparation, or anything particular to bring that anyone can think of that could be easily forgotten? I'm so excited and it's months away :laugh: :o

I have both my dogs running in Pairs together...only hope I can find someone willing to run one of my dogs :laugh: I am hoping the friend I am going with will do it, as she is only in about 3 events the whole time. I am not sure how it is going to work out with all the different rings :confused: & two dogs in different levels of competition.

Sheena, do you know if the Glenreagh trial be using rubberised contacts? Can't find that information anywhere on the schedule.

I'm not sure about that. I know we are trying to get them done in time, but are running out of time. We are about to order a new A-frame, so hopefully it will be ready by then. I'll see what I can find out for you :)

Sheena, do you know if the Glenreagh trial be using rubberised contacts? Can't find that information anywhere on the schedule.

I'm not sure about that. I know we are trying to get them done in time, but are running out of time. We are about to order a new A-frame, so hopefully it will be ready by then. I'll see what I can find out for you :)

There are some rubberized contacts, but not all :)

There are some rubberized contacts, but not all :)

Thank You for finding that out - was hesitant about entering as I wasn't sure, but at least now I know not to enter. My girl is just coming back now after a dogwalk accident (and that was a rubberised one) so no way I'll risk her on anything else. We've gotten really spoiled in Vic. with all the rubberised contacts that's for sure. I do appreciate you letting me know :)

I can't wait for all the contacts to be made rubberized. The equipment we are borrowing is rubberized. Our own equipment will have to be done by the end of this year & it has a really good non-slip surface on it, but I just think the rubberized contacts are kinder on the dogs paws, especially when they are sliding down the A-frame to anticipate a stop at the bottom. If anyone has any suggestions on obtaining the rubber contact, I would be interested to know & will pass it on to our committee :) They have made enquiries, including getting it from NZ, but it is oh, so expensive :eek: but it has to be done eventually.

The contacts in the ACT are bordering on dangerous. 2 clubs woukdnt even have what is considered "non slip surfaces" anymore and I will no longer enter Whip in agility at those clubs after seeing them earlier this year. They are an accident waiting to happen and there is no way I am teaching my dog to slow down and sacrifice the lovely contacts he currently has. The third club has rubberised contacts but they are really lightweight and bouncy, jury is still out on them. At least they are safe though :)

I don't mind non-rubberised (ours at home isnt) as long as they are truly non-slip surfaces and provide adequate traction for the fast dogs, and for the little dogs who need to work so hard to get over the slippery ones. The sport is getting faster and we need to take measures to ensure dog safety is paramount, equipment maintenance falls into this category in a big way.

wow, that was rather OT of me wasn't it? Thought I was in the normal agility thread :)

In answer to the question, we are not going this year, for a variety of reasons. I loved WA nationals, Sydney wasn't bad either, looking forward to Adelaide in 2016 now.

wow, that was rather OT of me wasn't it? Thought I was in the normal agility thread :)

In answer to the question, we are not going this year, for a variety of reasons. I loved WA nationals, Sydney wasn't bad either, looking forward to Adelaide in 2016 now.

LOL. The upside is that the contacts for the nationals will be AWESOME! We've had a play on one of the dogs walks that has been built and coated. :)

Well I might see you there Rumour and Agility Dogs :)

DT, oh well, life happens! That's awesome that you've been to lots of others, and that you'll be going to Adelaide as well :)

Glad to hear that AD, however our contact performance will be wayyy below eveyone elses standards me thinks! I can't wait to watch and learn a lot though :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there with most likely the only Lowchen again! she debuted at Syd Nationals was a feral got 4th in snooker and had fun lol. Was supposed to bring her daughter this year but she is still too young and stupid lol so it'll be myself,bub and Ella lowchen and Thor the lappie who's only a pup but needs socialization ect.