What Breed For An Older Lady?

Homeriver

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No particular breed recommendation but rather a suggestion she have a look at all the wonderful little dogs available on the Pet Rescue site. :) Rather than concentrating on breed choose a dog with the temperament, looks and level of maintenance that would suit - so many gorgeous dogs needing a home.

I'm sure if she wanted a little rescue dog she'd be asking for one.

What not choose a purebred pup (or adult dog) if that's what she wants?? :shrug:

Of course if Pet Rescue would make it easy to search by breed for a dog... but that's a whole nuther story. Why they insist that size alone is a good search method....

Breed CAN be a good method of finding temperament, looks and maintenance levels you know. And the OP does ask for breed recommendations.

Oh why do I bother. Every time I post I get some narkie response. What on earth is wrong with suggesting someone have a look at Pet Rescue - she can pick a purebreed from there as well "you know" if that is what she wants.

Edited by Rosetta

The question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string". You could probably find any number of dogs of all breeds who would suit. It is finding them.

First of all compile a list of pros and cons.

Then look in PetRescue and make a list of the dogs who take the lady's fancy, and contact the rescuer for more information.

Keep to the dogs in foster care as then you will have a better understanding of the personality of the dog ...... as much as you can :shrug: . Dogs can change when they change homes.

Guest donatella

No particular breed recommendation but rather a suggestion she have a look at all the wonderful little dogs available on the Pet Rescue site. :) Rather than concentrating on breed choose a dog with the temperament, looks and level of maintenance that would suit - so many gorgeous dogs needing a home.

I'm sure if she wanted a little rescue dog she'd be asking for one.

What not choose a purebred pup (or adult dog) if that's what she wants?? :shrug:

Of course if Pet Rescue would make it easy to search by breed for a dog... but that's a whole nuther story. Why they insist that size alone is a good search method....

Breed CAN be a good method of finding temperament, looks and maintenance levels you know. And the OP does ask for breed recommendations.

Oh why do I bother. Every time I post I get some narkie response. What on earth is wrong with suggesting someone have a look at Pet Rescue - she can pick a purebreed from there as well "you know" if that is what she wants.

It's a bit like that shot down for every suggestion. I think pet rescue is a great one :thumbsup:

Edited by donatella

If she has the grand kids around regularly, the smaller breeds might be intimated (Chi, Chinese Crested etc)....I'd think a Tibbie would be good. (Tibetan Spaniel)

I'm planning on a Tibbie for my retirement.

I'd also like a sheltie but they can be yappy.

This started me thinking, because my immediate thought was for the person to look on PetRescue :shrug:

I guess it is because I was involved in pounds and rescue/fostering for so many years, that whenever anyone talks about getting a dog, I immediately think Rescue.

However, it could also be that the pure bred world needs to do as much, as a group, as the rescue community does as a group, because unless someone wants a specific breed, looking at breeders generally would not cross my mind. Sure there are lots in the general community who think along those lines too.

Just a thought.

Off Topic, sorry OP :o

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Sorry, it was narkie. You are right.

I find it wears thin to see the rescue agenda continually raised in threads asking for breed suggestions FOR PUPS on a purebred dog forum. It would also be nice to see breed suggestions that actually relate to what characteristics the person is seeking in a dog but that's not your fault.

However, if I posted "go to a registered breeder for a purebred pup" in "looking for a rescue dog" threads, what do you think the reaction would be?

Pet Rescue is a lousy site for searching by breed. You can't. Philosophical reasons no doubt but "small, medium or large" is pretty useless for searching for temperament, maintenance or coat type which is where breed is very handy.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

shelties can be excellent for older people and great with kids IF they are raised with them. very gentle very easily trained. a small working dog that requires a bit less exercise than your kelpies and BCs if she likes the working dog temperament otherwise.

can be fearful if they have nothing to do with kids until they are adults and if you are not careful about picking a pup with a stable temperament.

my only issue with CKCS is that you need to be financially stable as heart disease is common and expensive to treat... otherwise lovely little dogs and probably perfect for what you have described.

I had a Min Pin in a puppy class recently - wow! What a live wire!!! Awesome performance potential but maybe a bit much for this situation. In-laws have a lovely Sheltie (retired show dog as he was too small) but he is timid. I have seen a few similarly timid Shelties which have also been quite yappy so you would need to select lines carefully. Can't go past the CKCS for a beautiful pet. The show cockers can be sweet little dogs but can still be very "busy" - the boys I've seen are more laid back than the girls.