“neither Of My Dogs Killed A Shelter Dog”

SwaY

Lots of people get the lecture and some abuse when they say they bought their dog or cat from a breeder. Despite the sometimes token effort to say they aren't against registered breeders from the leaders of the adopt don't shop/shelter dogs die when you buy campaign they don't stop their followers from abusing people. If you don't believe it go on some rescue or animal rights pages and say you bought a purebred dog, see what happens.

To me the whole "adopt dont shop" is just a marketing ploy.

I can promise you, I have never heard anyone ever critise a person for buying a purebred dog over a shelter dog. Im not saying that you dont get people that do that ...just that I have never been exposed to it. You get fanatics in any industry.

Its not really fair to judge us all by the fanatics within an industry.

I dont understand though why breeders are not out there marketing their dogs also.

Wouldnt it be great if they had a marketing plan, that educated people about the benefits of buying a purebred dog? Even promoting the breed of that dog and what they were designed to do. So many people come unstuck just because of lack of education when getting a dog. They buy that cute pup from a pet shop, from the markets, off Gumtree or from their neighbours on impulse because they are cute and it is all highly emotive.

That's the thing, it's not only done by fanatics but the general public who get their information from FB pages like Oscar's Law. Some breeders have walked away because they are tired of being made to feel like criminals. Ordinary people get sucked into this because the message is so emotional and they say the same thing. People have copped lectures while out walking their dog from other ordinary dog owners, not fanatics. If you want to see how widespread this is just test it yourself and look at who responds. It's a big issue because registered breeders have had enough and some are no longer breeding. Soon we'll only have puppy farms, all registered and operating with licenses.

I think the average Joe Citizen when he hears the word "breeder" conjures up images of "breeders" creating all these monsters from pure bred dogs, like oodles & tea cups. What he doesn't understand is that registered breeders are not the ones behind these frankensteins. They wouldn't be registered if they did. I have a friend who has had dogs all her life & they have always been rescues. Recently she went looking for a rescue & had in mind the type & age of dog that she wanted. After searching for ages, she finally found a Rescue centre that had exactly what she was looking for. They wouldn't let her adopt...the only reason being was that "she was too old" :eek: (she's 64). So what did she do?? Bought a small cross breed one from a BYB advertising on Gumtree for $450. She only did what the average person would do ....they don't know any better :confused:

So, rescue is an industry. I mean, I know it is, but that's the first time I've heard someone in rescue state it.

Sheridan...Industry is just a word I used. I can change it to something else if you like :) Im not really sure what you mean by that comment.