Urgent Advice Please- Bloat?

Sorry for not searching but hoping someone can give me some quick tips, I've read about bloat here but having only small to medium breeds haven't been overly concerned...

Foster puppy is a large-ish bitsa with possibly (based on appearance only of mum and pups) some mastiff, Great Dane, Ridgeback in her. She's 15.5 wks old, pretty long and thin generally tho not underweight.

I've literally just noticed that she looks rounder than normal around ribs/chest and belly, literally just for the last 5 mins. Dinner was about 2.5 hrs ago. Otherwise seems ok, has just settled on the couch next to me which she normally does.

I suspect she's just gassy but just wanted to see if I should be concerned about bloat from this?

If so, what else should I watch for? How urgently does she need treatment?

Thanks all :)

Edited by Simply Grand

GDV will cause pain and discomfort and really fast. Keep an eye on her and if she seems even slightly out of sorts then call the vet. If you're worried at all call the vet and have a chat. How did you feed her, what did you feed her, how about drinking lots of water?

Here's some good reading material so you're better informed.

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/gastric-dilatation-volvulus

Edited by mixeduppup

Ok, thanks guys :) just spoke to the emergency vet, seeing as she's still acting normally, doesn't seem to be in pain and hasn't had diarrhea, vomitting or lethargy they said she may have just swallowed too much air and i should keep an eye on her for the next hour then call back if I'm worried.

As I write she's just done a normal poo...

Hopefully all ok, I'll let you know how she goes!

And read more about bloat in the meantime, thanks MUP.

ETA - she had a cup of Hills dry from a bowl on the floor, as she normally does (I've had her from 8 wks). She is a bit greedy with her food so wouldn't surprise me that she swallows air. She's been drinking but I haven't noticed more than usual. She's still bright, lying on the couch but looking around :crossfingers:

Edited by Simply Grand

Can you get one of those bowls to slow her down when she eats?

They have raised parts in the middle of the bowl and because of this, the dog has to slow down.

Or my preferred method with dry kibble, is a treat ball (I bought the cheap on from pet stock, it's blue and you put the kibble in a small hole and then the dog has to roll it around to get the food out).

It's fun for the dog and the can only eat what they get out, working for it.

It's the only way Zig eats kibble now, he loves it..

Edited by Staffyluv

how is she this morning? I wonder if in future when she gutses her dinner you might be able to simply burp her. When hand raising puppies I discovered that if you rub their back after they eat it causes them to burp, just like human babies. I still do it with my adult dogs sometimes.

How is the pup today? Bloat isn't the only thing that can cause a bloated tummy. Amber gets a lot of fluid (ascites) in her stomach from her liver condition. It was the first obvious symptom. The vet originally thought it was her heart so that causes ascites too.

Yes the slow down bowls are great. When we got Mosley as a pup he used to absolutely inhale his food, I've never seen anything like it and bloat was always on my mind.

Bloat is usually very uncomfortable for them, check out some videos on YouTube so you know what to look for :) also if they're bloating their tummy will sound hollow if you tap it.

I remember seeing posted on these forums a long time ago, a bloat fact sheet that was perfect for printing out and sticking on the fridge... anyone have any recollection about it?

For a while there I also thought my girl might have bloat as her barrel has been looking rounder, even noticed by other people.... but no, she's just getting fat LOL. Time for diet! She burps a lot tho, so might look into getting those slow bowls too.

We had a pretty serious bloat scare with Josie a while back, I was getting ready to head to the vet (she was getting quite distressed) when my husband suggested burping her. We put her front feet up on the couch to raise her front end and patted her sides firmly starting at the bottom and working up. She belched massively quite a few times and then was much better. after doing some research I also now keep a packet of De-gas(from the chemist) in the cupboard as a number of sources recommended this as something that may assist with bad gas before it progresses and also slow down the process giving you more time to get to help. We are potentially 30 minutes from a vet if our local isn't available so this is a concern of mine.

Yes the slow down bowls are great. When we got Mosley as a pup he used to absolutely inhale his food, I've never seen anything like it and bloat was always on my mind.

Bloat is usually very uncomfortable for them, check out some videos on YouTube so you know what to look for :) also if they're bloating their tummy will sound hollow if you tap it.

Yes the tapping and listening for the hollow sound was the first thing the vet nurse did when Stan had a bloat scare recently so it's handy to know. He also has a scoff stopper bowl and his since his head injury hís bowl is elevated, I know there are for and against for feeding up or down to help reduce the risk of bloat but I do worry about it with the greyhounds. Mind you the amount of food Stan has consumed from his "break ins" I'm surprised he hasn't had some form of illness from it *sigh* He does burb...loudly...after he eats so I wonder if this helps.

I hope your pup is ok today SG.

Edited by HazyWal

and just remember not all dogs present the same way with bloat. One of the worst cases ever seen by a Sydney emergency vet was a greyhound that was just not quite right, owned by experienced people who had seen bloat before.

Oh and I never supply water straight after dry food, let it settle first. The time my girl was heading that way she got in to stuff she shouldn't have but then also drank heaps of water and that started things off. Now I feed right before bed and don't give water overnight. I figure I don't drink all night when I'm asleep so no different for them. By the morning when they have a drink they've mostly digested their food and there's nothing to cause issues when combined with water.