Fresh Organs

According to my holistic Vet lamb kidneys are one of the best organ meats for dogs.

I think tripe is all the rage at the moment as it is so hard to get and it suddenly seems to have become more available.

In England it seems to be the main meat fed by many people. They buy it minced and frozen and the dogs love it. It contains an abundance of goodness. See more here.

http://www.aplaceforpaws.com/faqs/products/what-is-tripe-and-why-should-i-feed-it-to-my-dog.html

Heart is technically a muscle meat, not an organ. Still great for them but consider it the same as other meat as opposed to part of their organ consumption. Liver and Kidneys are definitely the easiest to obtain in human grade, brain is full if nutrients (but more expensive), tripe is great, lungs are good too. Pretty much whatever you can get your hands on :) I tend to stick with liver and kidney though as they are easy to obtain, and they get chicken frames with all the organs still inside.

Ok so I got hearts and livers the other day.

But am going to pick meat up from butcher so just asked him to keep all off cuts and organs for the dogs.

So will see what little treasures he has saved me for the dogs.

I think he may keep kidneys for himself- they are good on the BBQ apparently

Ok so I got hearts and livers the other day.

But am going to pick meat up from butcher so just asked him to keep all off cuts and organs for the dogs.

So will see what little treasures he has saved me for the dogs.

I think he may keep kidneys for himself- they are good on the BBQ apparently

Yum..... :eat:

Dumb question but how do you feed the kidneys to your dogs?

When I got my hands on some at the supermarket (vacuum sealed), they had a very strong stench of, well, urine :vomit:

I tried to rinse them, bug the dogs wouldn't touch it, raw or boiled and all I achieved was stink up the house :swear:

ETA was there a thread recently re green tripe in Sydney? I can't find it now (just realised they may have breached rules by advertising?)

Edited by fbaudry

I usually chop them up into small pieces and mix them in with other chopped meat the first few times until the dogs acquire a taste for them. Some eat them straight away, others take a while (and my cat took even longer to adjust lol). For really fussy dogs I mixed them with yoghurt, eggs, tuna (one foster got all 3 mixed in before he would eat them haha). Usually only takes a few meals before just meat on it's own is fine, then progress to an entirely organ meal. Up to you and the individual dog. Most organs have a strong smell, you just have to try and block it out (human grade isn't as messy but contains preservatives). You do get used to it though, I used to get a months worth and do it all in one hit when I was in the mood :)

Liver is essential for a raw fed dog as it's the only adequate source of vitamin A. Other great organs include kidneys and brain. Lung is good too if you can get it, but it's mostly connective tissue and low quality protein so don't go out of your way to get it -- it's not a must in any way, a nice snack though for sure.

Hearts are fabulous meat, but don't feed them as organs (like DeltaCharlie already said earlier).

• 3 weeks later...

Where abouts are you? I am on the Gold Coast and have ordered fresh green tripe from a place called Instincto.com.au so hopefully by next week I will be able to tell you what the hype is all about. I mainly feed liver and kidney as my main offal meats as they are easiest to obtain however my boy also doesn't like them to much so I wait her dehydrate, flash fry them or smother with sardines!!!

Dumb question but how do you feed the kidneys to your dogs?

When I got my hands on some at the supermarket (vacuum sealed), they had a very strong stench of, well, urine :vomit:

I tried to rinse them, bug the dogs wouldn't touch it, raw or boiled and all I achieved was stink up the house :swear:

ETA was there a thread recently re green tripe in Sydney? I can't find it now (just realised they may have breached rules by advertising?)

Haha! I can't believe dogs turned their noeses up at kidneys. I've eaten them since I was a child.