Finding A Breeder Of A Rescue Dog

I have a purebred Belgian Shepherd coming my way and would like to think that the dogs breeder would like to know one of their dogs is homeless but how can you track the breeder down? The dog was left behind when someone moved.

Is it chipped? Any way to get in touch with the old owners?

If you can find out when it was chipped, you can then get in touch with the BS club and find out what litters were born that year and to which breeders and then contact the breeders individually with the dog's chip details, normally breeders keep chip details on hand of past puppies.

I have a purebred Belgian Shepherd coming my way and would like to think that the dogs breeder would like to know one of their dogs is homeless but how can you track the breeder down? The dog was left behind when someone moved.

:thumbsup: Good luck. I hope you track down the breeder and he/she wants to know.

call dogs nsw, they have a list of breeders and should be able to track via microchip

Yes but it may be a dog from interstate or may BYB. We help them all, including derivatives.

Quite a few breeders rehome returned dogs through Sally, that way the adoption fee is put towards helping other Belgians needing assistance. Sally takes dog from all over the country not just NSW.

yes, there are many viable lines of enquiry, not just one

call dogs nsw, they have a list of breeders and should be able to track via microchip

Yes but it may be a dog from interstate or may BYB. We help them all, including derivatives.

Quite a few breeders rehome returned dogs through Sally, that way the adoption fee is put towards helping other Belgians needing assistance. Sally takes dog from all over the country not just NSW.

Have not contacted them yet sorry he just arrived yesterday and I spent over an hour washing, brushing and drying him then just let him relax will contact them though. I will be sad to see him go if the breeder wants him back he is such a sweet dog.

So an update of sorts. Sally cant find the breeder and his chip isnt on any of the registries. She is more than happy to take him in but we have fallen in love with him. I spoke to her about our options and told her a bit about our lifestyle where we live, how we live etc and she said that it does sound like a good place for a Belgian but that I need to decide before he gets attached. I am just not the sort of person that will keep a pet because I want it it has to be comfortable and happy. I will speak with Sally again today but if we do decide to rehome him I will pass him to Sally as I am more comfortable that she will be able to place him more properly to me as I am not up with the breeds needs etc.

Here are some pictures of him he needs more grooming we spent an hour and a half on him his first night here and Sally says thats nothing some can take even longer :eek:

1ttrmv.jpg

303bv35.jpg

Umm, I think by the second photo - he is already attached. He is saying 'ha ha I got some good ones here, now how to I make sure I stay?' And in the first photo he looks very happy where he is. Are you sure he hasn't decided already how attached to make you????

Microchip details are not able to be given out just because people ask - its a big deal with privacy laws. At best dogs NSW may contact the breeder and give them your details but they are not able to give that info out to you.

I originally thought this was odd until I had a conversation with a friend who breeds goldens and she showed me just how easy it is with someone within the breeders circle. So even if the chip doesn't tell you where he came from if he came from a reputable breeder chances are that one of the breeders will be able to tell who's lines they believe him to be. Breeders often know a dog just by looking at them even if the dog was sold as a pup and it is now 8 years old, they know if they bred it, and who's mum or dad probably is. I was fascinated by this discussion and thought she was having me on, but the longer our chat went on and how she showed me, see dogs with this type of head belong to x breeder, that specific trait of curl in the tail or the neck that is a fraction longer that what their preference is belongs to Y breeder, oh and this type of dog is P breeder because they brought in blah dog from the us or uk or imported semen.

If there is any local shows in your area it might be worth taking photos of him down and having a chat with a couple of the breeders to see if they can assist.