My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you need help to pay the ongoing vet costs? I am happy to send some dollars. Do not be ashamed to ask.

Count me in as well.

Or, if HW is too genteel to ask, let's simply do something in any case to show we stand with her and her lovely dogs.

What I just don't understand is that councils will impound dogs because of what they look like but seem unwilling to take action when there is an issue. I am sure I am not alone in thinking this!!

It's f*$#&ing ridiculous.

It is because Councils appear to get away with these issues.

Grossly unfair.

Sounds like she started out doing the right thing but has now gotten some legal advice. Now it all gets complicated and ugly and the lawyers make money. How for all concerned.

I hope the dogs and you are feeling better today.

I say she is bluffing and hasn't engaged the advice of a solicitor..

I would think a solicitors letter from yours to her, would get her opening her wallet again :)

It might cost you to get the letter done up but I think it would be worth it, if there are going to be ongoing costs.

Does the council realise you were injured as a result of the attack too? Surely if a human was injured they are forced to take a harder line approach than simply if they attack another animal?

I'm not angling for the dogs to be euthed but I do think they need to have some sort of order to ensure they are appropriately contained.

Yes KC. Lets not forget this whole shocking incident could of been a whole lot more shocking. The could have maulded HW. Killed one of her lovely greys These dogs could of grabbed a smaller dog/ or even a child . I mean who knows. They need to be managed accordingly.

Thank you all for your never ending support.

Staffyluv I also call bullshit on the solicitor and the ranger said exactly the same today. If she had rung a solicitor and said "um my dogs got out today and attacked two muzzled on lead greyhounds and she wants me to keep paying these damn vet bills" I'm pretty sure said solicitor would say " you better suck it up and pay sunshine because you have broken the law".

Looking at my sweet Maddie struggling through no fault of her own enrages me but I can only do what the NSW laws allow, as pathetic as it is. The fact that this has to happen again to get justice is a joke. The ranger was fantastic today and was also disheartened by the law :(

ETA I went to the police and as I was already told they can do nothing.

Edited by HazyWal

What if you engaged a solicitor and sent her a letter demanding she pay up? Would she escalate or fold?

And I'd be happy to helpful with that cost wise to.

Many years ago I was walking my gap grey in a halti. We were approached by a large breed off lead dog. The dog was stalking us. I stopped and connected the lead to the collar and took off the halti. I wanted my dog to be able to fight back if needed.

The idea of your on lead muzzled greys getting attacked and being unable to defend themselves makes me bloody furious.

That has to be just convenient f**king bullshit.

The woman has committed a crime by not having her dogs properly contained; they have attacked other dogs; they have injured a civilian.

How can they possible stand behind: it isn't in our remit. :mad:mad:mad

Thank you all for your never ending support.

Staffyluv I also call bullshit on the solicitor and the ranger said exactly the same today. If she had rung a solicitor and said "um my dogs got out today and attacked two muzzled on lead greyhounds and she wants me to keep paying these damn vet bills" I'm pretty sure said solicitor would say " you better suck it up and pay sunshine because you have broken the law".

Looking at my sweet Maddie struggling through no fault of her own enrages me but I can only do what the NSW laws allow, as pathetic as it is. The fact that this has to happen again to get justice is a joke. The ranger was fantastic today and was also disheartened by the law :(

I'm not meaning to disparage your ranger and they may have a legitimate reason for deciding not to declare the dogs... but if they are telling you that the legislation states that there has to be a second incident before they can declare the dogs menacing or dangerous and that it isn't an option for them then that is bull.

33 Meaning of “dangerous”

(1) For the purposes of this Act, a dog is dangerous if it:

(a) has, without provocation, attacked or killed a person or animal (other than vermin), or

(b) has, without provocation, repeatedly threatened to attack or repeatedly chased a person or animal (other than vermin), or

© (Repealed)

(d) is kept or used for the purposes of hunting.

33A Meaning of “menacing” and “menacing breed or kind of dog”

(1) For the purposes of this Act, a dog is menacing if it:

(a) has displayed unreasonable aggression towards a person or animal (other than vermin), or

(b) has, without provocation, attacked a person or animal (other than vermin) but without causing serious injury or death.

The Act is here:

NSW Companion Animals Act 1998

What if you engaged a solicitor and sent her a letter demanding she pay up? Would she escalate or fold?

Sheridan she told me the other day that she was unemployed and was worried about how she would pay. She paid the bill at EVH via credit card, whether the credit card is full I don't know. Now she has an $1100 fine to pay and if she is as broke as she told me and doesn't pay it within the allotted time her licence and car registration will be cancelled.

Rebanne I'm hearin' you, the screams from both of my dogs I will never forget and my feeble attempts to punch and kick the attacking dogs with my stupid arthritis will haunt me forever. While Maddie is unpredictable with other dogs, and I have made no secret of that I am well aware of what she is capable of, she knew full well she was a beaten favourite on the day and as for poor Stanley...well he didn't have a bloody chance :( I am heartbroken over what has happened but flogging a dead horse is pointless I feel, the law is sadly not on our side even though we abide by it to the letter.

Knowing HW as I do, she will not back down you can be assured of that.

I believe the ranger can issue a notice to declare the dogs dangerous, then the owner has 14 days to prove they are not. If they can come up with credible evidence they are not ( I am guessing a behaviourist report) then they can have the order over turned. If it was a second incident it would hold regardless of proof or not.

Knowing HW as I do, she will not back down you can be assured of that.

I believe the ranger can issue a notice to declare the dogs dangerous, then the owner has 14 days to prove they are not. If they can come up with credible evidence they are not ( I am guessing a behaviourist report) then they can have the order over turned. If it was a second incident it would hold regardless of proof or not.

By the fact that this incident occurred the dogs already meet the definition of Dangerous or Menacing (posted above).

The owner has 7 days to submit representations unless Council gives them an extension.

37 Authorised officer must consider dog owner’s objections

(1) The owner has 7 days after the date the notice is given in which to object to the proposed declaration.

(2) If the owner does not object within that time, the authorised officer can proceed to make the declaration after the 7 days have passed.

(3) If the owner does object within that time, the authorised officer must first consider the objection before proceeding to make the declaration.

(4) A reference in this section to the authorised officer is a reference to any authorised officer of the council and is not limited to the authorised officer who gave the notice.

There is no definites as far as the reps are concerned. The Council must consider them but the reps submitted, even if there's a positive behaviourist report, do not automatically mean the dogs mustn't be declared.

It's up to the Council's discretion whether to declare or not.

The Council may choose not to declare - and may feel that $1100 fines plus the vet bills is enough of a punishment and deterrent if the owner has shown that they can and will contain the dogs in future. It's entirely up to them, and they have a broader knowledge of the entire situation than any of us here.

But if they are telling you HazyWal that because it's a first offence they CAN'T declare, and that their hands are tied by the legislation - that is not true.

Edited by melzawelza