My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

I am glad your X-rays have come back ok, I hope your swelling goes down quickly.

It's a pity the old lady with the lab won't contact council, I guess she may be feeling vulnerable already.

:hug:

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranger finally called me back from my concerns two days ago and said she rang the woman this morning about not getting a padlock for the gate and the woman said her daughters boyfriend was supposedly fixing the gate this weekend. When I questioned the ranger about the fact that this will be 7 days tomorrow since we were attacked and it's still not fixed she said it's not up to council to continually drive past (and they don't have the time) and see if they have fixed anything they can only advise her and then it's up to her. I told her the old lady with the Lab said they are always out and she said nothing can be done unless the actual people that see the dogs out call, which I knew anyway. She said the Dangerous Dog Dec will take up to a month to be processed and said when the judge looks at it he will say it was too harsh, there have been no previous complaints about the dogs and after all it's not a child :(

Edited by HazyWal

Ranger finally called me back from my concerns two days ago and said she rang the woman this morning about not getting a padlock for the gate and the woman said her daughters boyfriend was supposedly fixing the gate this weekend. When I questioned the ranger about the fact that this will be 7 days tomorrow since we were attacked and it's still not fixed she said it's not up to council to continually drive past (and they don't have the time) and see if they have fixed anything they can only advise her and then it's up to her. I told her the old lady with the Lab said they are always out and she said nothing can be done unless the actual people that see the dogs out call, which I knew anyway. She said the Dangerous Dog Dec will take up to a month to be processed and said when the judge looks at it he will say it was too harsh, there have been no previous complaints about the dogs and after all it's not a child :(

so the authorities will not act UNTIL a child is bitten or worse..............icon_smile_mad.gif

Hmmm, If you are up for it I would ask to speak to the head ranger and relate just how concerned you are about the situation and that you feel that the response of your local council is inadequate. I live in NSW in a different council area to you and I certainly got a great deal more action for a situation that involved dogs that aggressively rushed me a couple of times - ranger was absolutely fantastic and gave clear instructions to the owners of dogs, followed this up within a set time and kept me informed (this was last year). Your situation is vastly more concerning :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh fair dinkum HazyWal :mad:(

So doesn't matter that it was a lady walking her 2 MUZZLED dogs quietly past & got viciously attacked by these dogs. It ONLY matters if it is a child. Oh I see :mad

They haven't got time to make sure the likes of those 2 savage, territorial dogs are not properly maintained with adequate fencing & behind locked gates :mad

All I can say is this is going to happen again & it's a wonder this hasn't happened before. Maybe it has but the person is too scared to report it. Who knows.

This is just so wrong on so many levels. Makes me so dam mad :mad These dogs will end up killing someone or their precious dog :( They don't belong in society IMHO.

I'd be asking to speak with the rangers manager, and their manager, and so on. I would take it as far as possible. Not saying they are doing anything wrong as far as legislation goes, but why wait until a person IS hurt? And weren't you injured?! or does it not count because youre over 18? This response is rubbish and is not in line with community expectations.

As much as I was willing to give the Council the benefit of the doubt and hope that they were taking alternate action to a declaration because the owners were on top of it and proving themselves, this is sounding pretty poor now. She's right that she can't force them to put the padlock on the gate but she can certainly take it in to account that they are not taking all precautions to ensure the dogs are safely contained when deciding whether to place a declaration. If the owners hadn't even bothered to do that small thing yet you bet I'd be declaring the dogs.

As far as her statement that it won't stand up in court... she needs to ring around some other Councils and she will see that if the evidence is there that the attack occurred and it was unprovoked, and it meets the definitions under the act, many many Councils have had these declarations stand up in court. That's if the owners even appeal it. Menacing declarations don't even have a right of appeal (which I personally think is appalling and open to misuse by Councils).

I wonder if, in the past, this Council has had a declaration not stand up for whatever reason and they are just uber cautious now (they would have incurred costs). Because it sounds really odd to me that they would think that an attack of this nature wouldn't result in a declaration sticking if it was appealed.

Melz that's exactly what I thought that surely the fact she had made no attempt to do the simple thing of going straight out and buying a chain and padlock it would have to be taken into account with the DD Dec. For the safety of her owns dogs to start with! She either doesn't care or she aint real bright and having spoken to her twice I'm going the latter. I think on Monday I'll have to contact someone higher up and get some answers. Friends have told me to contact my local member as well. I spoke to a friend this afternoon that said he had had a major issue with GCC (not a dog issue) and after months of getting the run around and the issue still wasn't resolved he went to the local paper. Two days after the article was published GCC were all over the issue and it was fixed.

I will pull out all stops and every door that is slammed in my face I'll take a different tack. This is appalling :mad

A totally unsatisfactory and downright dangerous response from the ranger.

What pisses me off about this is that if the greyhounds would have gotten out and mauled another dog it would have been on the news!

Too true.

..... they are just uber cautious now

You are very generous. I'd be saying "uber lazy" and not even bothering to check the law.

:mad

How frustrating and unfair!

Physically, how are you all doing?

The wounds are healing, Maddie still has another week with the stitches.

My foot is still quite sore but the swelling on my hand has gone down a bit. Emotionally I'm struggling, I took the dogs to a different park today where I could see for miles and just let them sniff around for a while but I left the hatch open so I could get them into the car quickly if I saw a dog coming and I was nervous the whole time. I was always nervous and on high alert when I walked them but now I'm just downright shitting myself :(

The wounds are healing, Maddie still has another week with the stitches.

My foot is still quite sore but the swelling on my hand has gone down a bit. Emotionally I'm struggling, I took the dogs to a different park today where I could see for miles and just let them sniff around for a while but I left the hatch open so I could get them into the car quickly if I saw a dog coming and I was nervous the whole time. I was always nervous and on high alert when I walked them but now I'm just downright shitting myself :(

No one should have to go through this ever. Being scared while trying to enjoy a nice walk with your dogs is crap. Do the dogs seem nervous at all?